PDA

View Full Version : Pure Healer viable anymore?

FultonBJJ
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Are pure healers viable anymore with the low number of people that play Gemstone now?

I started an Empath to fight alongside my rogue. Unsure if I should make him a healer only or train him to fight as well.

Xaerve
09-08-2011, 03:43 PM
No reason to not train for both. Empaths, after bards (an arguably really post-cap rangers) are some of the most deadly hunters in the game.

Beguiler
09-08-2011, 04:22 PM
.. and an empath hunting with a bard is like the best of both worlds. Seriously, you can be a good healer, and a good hunter at the same time. So heal your hunting party, heal in town/invasions if you want to, or pick up your runestaff/sheild and wade in and kick butt if you want a break and some exercise..

Drew
09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Being a "pure healer" is totally viable in the right town. On the other hand like everyone said empaths that heal can hunt better than just about any other profession.

FultonBJJ
09-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Going to make him a pure caster, hopefully he's a beast.

Fallen
09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Even with the advent of spell combo Heal/Harm, I would still use weapons for the first 30 days, then fixskill into a pure caster to level up as quickly/easily as possible unless it would conflict with your RP right off the bat.

FultonBJJ
09-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Even with the advent of spell combo Heal/Harm, I would still use weapons for the first 30 days, then fixskill into a pure caster to level up as quickly/easily as possible unless it would conflict with your RP right off the bat.

Agreed! He's just hit level 5, I've got him mashing up rats and hobgoblins with blunt weapons currently. After my 30 days are up I'll switch him over to a pure caster.

Thanks again for the advice :)

Also, anyone care to lay out a plan for pure caster? I am so lost on what to train in and how often. Harness Power for mana? Manipulation Lore to fuck shit up? 2x spells per training, if so which circle should I go? Thanks in advance. Help with stats would be good too... should I just go to the stat cruncher and lay out stats for level 100? or will I be a weak bitch? Very confused on what to do.

subzero
09-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Also, anyone care to lay out a plan for pure caster? I am so lost on what to train in and how often. Harness Power for mana? Manipulation Lore to fuck shit up? 2x spells per training, if so which circle should I go? Thanks in advance. Help with stats would be good too... should I just go to the stat cruncher and lay out stats for level 100? or will I be a weak bitch? Very confused on what to do.

I'd suggest 1.5-2x HP early on, then dropping to 1x as you get into the mid levels. Your main attack spell is gonna cost 6 mana a pop, so it's pretty rough going early. Bone shatter wands will help a lot, so you'll want some MIU as well. Definitely don't train less than 2x spells on any pure. Try for more. 1x empath spells and I personally would pick up 103, then work on 215. After that it is a matter of 100s for defense or 200s for calm/bind CS. I went with manipulation lore early on because I was MAing the empath and used 1101 a bit in the earlier levels. I dropped that later in favor of telepathy (5 and 20 ranks are the early thresholds for extra cycles) and transformation lores to boost 1110. Empathic Assault is simply the belt bolt in the game. Not being trained for it is a crime in my book, so that means you should 2x spell aiming as well.

Traelin
09-10-2011, 07:59 AM
If you're going runestaff be sure to 1x in MMC. 24 ranks of SMC is sufficient for sharing but there are other benefits later on from 1x'ing in it(Less sickness on 130 for example), plus its cheap points for runestaff DS.

Ibidmb
09-10-2011, 10:29 AM
What's the best race for a pure empath?

Asha
09-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Dude don't change to caster after your 30 days are up!!

Ibidmb
09-10-2011, 10:42 AM
I think what he meant was right before they're up..

subzero
09-10-2011, 01:07 PM
If you're going runestaff be sure to 1x in MMC. 24 ranks of SMC is sufficient for sharing but there are other benefits later on from 1x'ing in it(Less sickness on 130 for example), plus its cheap points for runestaff DS.

MMC also boosts bone shatter.

What's the best race for a pure empath?

I like the darkies.

Inspire
09-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Everyone you look at is a dark elf lately.

Asha
09-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Everyone you look at is a dark elf lately.

FUCK you, player.

Gibreficul
09-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I don't feel like doing the searching, but I'm sure I posted my empath's build here at least a couple times... and I feel it's the BEST build out there for an empath. I kept empath and major spirit spell ranks high, relied mostly on bolt spells to hunt, and kept my CS spells as my backup/finishing spells. In my world of MA group hunting, it was the best option. If you'll be solo hunting, a boneshatter/CS build will probably be the easiest path, but you have the chance to run into stuff that's immune to both 1106 and 1115. My bolt-built empath used 118-bolt, 1110, and spammed 1101 while 1110 cycled through the "extra damage." Not much survived the entire cycle of 1110. If it did, 1106 would finish it.... almost every time.

Ibidmb
09-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I've already decided I am going to roll an empath when I get my laptop next week, I just don't know what a good race is. No, I don't want to be a darkie. With the option to be a nice pure, or merge switch it up to a war path at some point. Any advice on stat placement

subzero
09-10-2011, 06:46 PM
No one can give you stat advice without knowing what race you want. That said, search for GSIV stat cruncher and you can figure it out yourself.

Gibreficul
09-10-2011, 07:39 PM
and only YOU can weigh the options of the races relative to what YOU want to do with the character. That's one thing I always hate hearing people ask... What's the best race/stats/ect... for XXX.. My answer is usually, prioritize your "I WANT" list for that character, and THEN make a decision based on what would best suit that "I WANT" list.

subzero
09-10-2011, 10:36 PM
http://forum.gsplayers.com/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif Dark elves are for COMPLETE MORONS.

Yup. Their stats suck. I also have a half-krolvin sorcerer!

FultonBJJ
09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. Looking forward to playing this Empath. Feels good to be playing Gemstone again, boy have things changed.

Jace Solo
09-17-2011, 03:49 AM
Dwarf Empath in Sunfist. Game-Set-Match