PDA

View Full Version : 40th train wizard

Lackenberge
06-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Hi folks, dusted off my old wizard recently and have done some "re-arranging" of his skills to be more in tune with GS4's system.

My question to you, who are indoubtedly far more knowledgable than I is, how does he look?

He's currently at 40 trainings (about to be 41) and hunting in the Nations. Any advice on allocation etc would be welcomed as well as hunting areas. Thanks.

**** (at level 40), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 10 2
Physical Fitness...................| 108 26
Arcane Symbols.....................| 181 81
Magic Item Use.....................| 182 82
Spell Aiming.......................| 184 84
Harness Power......................| 179 79
Elemental Mana Control.............| 145 45
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 50 10
Perception.........................| 105 25
Climbing...........................| 93 21
Swimming...........................| 70 15

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 33

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 31

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 36

And his current stats:

Name:******* Race: Half-Elf Profession: Wizard (shown as: Battle Mage)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 60 (5) ... 60 (5)
Constitution (CON): 55 (2) ... 55 (2)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Agility (AGI): 64 (17) ... 64 (17)
Discipline (DIS): 81 (10) ... 81 (10)
Aura (AUR): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Logic (LOG): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Intuition (INT): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Wisdom (WIS): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Influence (INF): 69 (14) ... 69 (14)

Thanks for your time!

Tophal
06-01-2004, 06:38 PM
I've got a 58 trained half-elf wizard. Are you also a COL master? Spirit regain is reasonable with a half-elf, so COL is very useful. You might want to consider trading some MajE for some MinE. As you get older, you will come to rely on 415, and I believe a higher amount of MinE training will give you a higher CS for that spell.

Do you hunt in areas where you swim a lot? I have hardly ever used swimming.

I don't think you need to double in harness power, but that might be your preference. I think I have always leached well with less. You may be getting significant benefits if you are using a rune staff by having extra magical training.

I get a nice strength boost with earth lore. If you are having any encumbrance problems, you might want to consider changing that fire to earth lore.

For a few trainings I used to hunt the trali (prior to GS4), they were easy to leach and rapid fire hunt. Just put a good number of rapid fire casts on yourself, they stack. Leach and wrack should keep you out there a nice long time. Not sure what level they were changed to, you might want to ask around, if you are not hunting them already.

-Toph

Lackenberge
06-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Yes he is a CoL master and no, this character has never swam anywhere. The reason for the training is that it used to be part of the SOP (in GS3 for the Rift etc) although I'm by no means attached to it.

Yes he is a runestave user and I've tried hunting trali at his training but I find that unless I can keep the shaman stunned I get spikethorned pretty damn often.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer the advice!

AnticorRifling
06-02-2004, 10:57 AM
When I hunted trali I was way overtrained in MnE and I would just 415 them on sight, insta-stun and alot of crit deaths that way. Don't forget that 909 is your friend. Tremor, when they fall then bolt. I don't see needing that much climb and swim at lvl 40-41 but if that's your thing go for it. At 51 I have 14 in each. Remember it's going to take a hell of alot of time to reach the rift from lvl 40.

Unless you're just strapped for mana having that many ranks isn't really worth it. I, personally, only have 50 ranks at lvl 51. You could dump those extra points into lore or whatever.

I'm not the person to talk to when making a bolting wizard though so keep that in mind.

Kitsun
06-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Unless you have something really specific in mind for all the Arcane Symbol training, I would cut that down to 1x. You get a little more DS from runestaves but there's no real utility with a scroll reading ability that you gain from over training above 1x.

With the lores, either single train in one of them or get none at all. The bonuses don't yield anything significant in small numbers.

With MIU, unless you're planning on enchanting a lot, recharging, have nifty self-chargers or have something special in mind for it I would tank it down to 1x.

You can use the points to train up your spell ranks to 1x in each circle.

HP is really dependant on hunting style. 1.5x works for me. If you find you need to stay close to doubled well thats where your no-lore, no doubled magic training points would go.

Anebriated
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
my wizard is 2x in MIU, AS, SA, HP and will have 5 additional spells over 2x at 20 trains. Singled in lore and EMC too. He bolts a little low but that is because of society and race choices. Too each his own. Actually... looking over his training its very close to where I will be at 40, and the people who helped me train my wizard do very well at their older trains with a similar plan.

Kitsun
06-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Very true, but at higher levels what would you do with 100 ranks of Arcane Symbol that you could not do with 50 ranks? Its not like there's an abundance of Wall of Force scrolls around, or that it would even be useful if there were.

MIU, for low level enchanters it seems worthwhile. You can more reliably enchant at lower levels. If you don't, however, what would you do with 100 ranks that could not be done at 50?

Parkbandit
06-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Name:******* Race: Half-Elf Profession: Wizard (shown as: Battle Mage)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 60 (5) ... 60 (5)
Constitution (CON): 55 (2) ... 55 (2)
Dexterity (DEX): 100 (30) ... 100 (30)
Agility (AGI): 64 (17) ... 64 (17)
Discipline (DIS): 81 (10) ... 81 (10)
Aura (AUR): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Logic (LOG): 100 (25) ... 105 (27)
Intuition (INT): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Wisdom (WIS): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Influence (INF): 69 (14) ... 69 (14)

I'm probably in the minority.. but seeing 100's at level 40 when you probably have some rellocations available makes no sense to me. I personally would drop them down to maybe low 90s, take the 30 extra points and increase some of your other stats. You may end up with a lower bolt AS for a bit.. and maybe even lose a couple of TPs.. but the way they are now.. there is no growth for 3 stats... which is a waste.

Anebriated
06-02-2004, 11:31 AM
As I said to each their own, or you could stop training in them once you hit 50, by the time you reached 100 it would have evened out to 1x. :shrug:

Lackenberge
06-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Wow thanks folks for all the helpful replies, I appreciate any and all feedback on the matter.

As to the quote: I'm probably in the minority.. but seeing 100's at level 40 when you probably have some rellocations available makes no sense to me. I personally would drop them down to maybe low 90s, take the 30 extra points and increase some of your other stats. You may end up with a lower bolt AS for a bit.. and maybe even lose a couple of TPs.. but the way they are now.. there is no growth for 3 stats... which is a waste.

I was away from the game for 4 years and am still learning (been back for about 3 months now) about the reallocation system and so forth. Am I to understand that I can change his stats without rerolling him completely? If so I definitely would tend to agree with you. Back when he was created it was so absurdly easy (compartively speaking) to train that I didn't worry much about his stats, I set DEX AUR and LOG around the 90s and let them grow from there. Although I do plan on playing him well into his upper trainings so lowering these stats would be just the ticket.

I'm probably missing a lot of things since I just spouted off regarding the stats but I'll ask more questions if I think of them, thanks for being so helpful gang.

Oh, his bolt AS at 41 trains is currently 310 and I can get to a guarded defense of around 420 self buffed if that helps in anyway.

Edit: As for the arcane training being so high, when I came back and re-allocated him for runestaves this was the "template" I found, which is why I'm asking you folks for your advice, thanks again!

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by Lackenberge]

Kitsun
06-03-2004, 08:30 AM
The ability to change stats ends when instant skill migration ends; that is 1 month after your character has been converted to GSIV.

If you're over the time period it isn't so bad, the only wasted stat would be the dex. The other two are useful for their TP boost.

Askip
06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Checkin at an inn, you may have stat reallocation(s) left - the menu will tell you if you do.

:D

Lackenberge
06-03-2004, 12:18 PM
I get:

1. View your stats
2. View your skills and spells
3. Adjust Skill Goals
4. Done
10. Reassign stats (5 uses left)
86. Start again! (recreate your character)

When I check in, I assume that number 10 (Reassign stats) is the correct one? Will I beable to adjust just a few stats or do I have to re-roll them all completely? Would hate to lose the ones I have, if I recall I let the old "Roller" program roll for days trying to get those....lol

Artha
06-03-2004, 12:19 PM
If you had an over 640 roll, you might want to keep them. Otherwise, the ones you'll start out with are better.