PDA

View Full Version : Facts about Pit Bulls

Ben
08-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Taken from www.pbrc.net

BREED INFORMATION

PBRC is completely against the very cruel sport of pit fighting, past and present. We believe there is absolutely NO justifiable reason to throw two dogs in a pit and watch them tear each other apart.

Introduction
Following is basic breed information for anyone who is interested in acquiring a Pit Bull*, for those who already have one or more and would like to learn more about the breed, or simply for anyone who would like to understand these great dogs a little better.

This page discusses the most notable traits of Pit Bull type dogs, including the potential for dog-aggression. You will learn here that while Pit Bulls make great family companions in the right hands and living situation, they require intelligent, responsible, and dedicated ownership. Unfortunately, too many people obtain these dogs for the wrong reasons, or have little understanding of the inherent traits this breed possesses. It is unfortunate that one of the original purposes of the APBT was (and still is for many) dog-to-dog combat, but it's a fact that can't be denied or ignored. It's very important that every potential Pit Bull owners understand the selective breeding that took place to make the dogs of today, and the inherited characteristics that are potentially within this wonderful breed.

PBRC is committed to informing current and future Pit Bull owners so they will have a better understanding of their dog and will provide responsible and caring ownership. Even though PBRC does not in any way condone animal fighting, it does acknowledge the importance of respecting the special traits of the breed, and advocates education about proper and responsible Pit Bull ownership. You can have all the dog experience in the world, but it is also essential to understand the distinctive features of the type of dog you own or work with -- in this case, a dog with an important fighting background who requires extra vigilance around other pets.

*Pit Bull is NOT a breed. It's a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics often known by the public as Pit Bulls.

Remember that little is known about the background of rescue dogs. Some may be gamebred APBT (from fighting lines), some may be registered show dogs, some may be Am Staffs, some may look like APBTs but might be mixed with other breeds, etc. Since there is no way to know for sure unless you have the pedigree of the dog in hands, we recommend to follow the guidelines offered in PBRC for any type of "Pit Bull". See PBRC FAQ for more info.

Basic Breed Overview
Pit Bulls are wonderful animals that deserve a chance to have a good life like any other dog. However, it's important to remember that Pit Bulls are not just any other dog - They are a little more of everything a dog can be.

Pit Bulls have superior physical and mental characteristics that make them excellent partners for responsible, active, and caring owners. On the other hand, these same outstanding qualities can make them a little difficult to handle for people who don't have a lot of experience with dog ownership, or for those who don't understand the breed very well. Luckily, Pit Bulls are very responsive to training and eager to please. It is therefore strongly recommended to take them to obedience classes as soon as they are up to date with their shots. (Pit Bulls are prone to parvovirus, so it is important that they receive all their vaccinations before coming into contact with other dogs, or going places that other dogs frequent.) A well behaved and obedient Pit Bull will be a great ambassador for the breed and help fight prejudice and misconceptions.

Pit Bulls are very adaptable and will even do well in urban living provided they have enough exercise or other positive outlets for their energy. Many Pit Bulls are easygoing couch-potatoes, but can also be quite rambunctious until they mature. Maturity can come pretty late with this breed (2 to 3 years old in some cases). Pit Bulls remain playful all their life and have a great sense of humor. These dogs will make you laugh like no other.

Pit Bull are strong, energetic, agile, and powerful dogs. They are also very resourceful and driven. "Determination" is one of their most notable trait. Whatever they set out to do, they put their heart and soul into it... Whether it is escaping an inadequately fenced yard to go explore the neighborhood, or destroying your new couch when left home alone, or climbing into your lap to shower you with kisses! They just don't give up easily.

Stahlkuppe (1995) writes "The American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT), or the AmStaff, is certainly not the right pet for everyone. Being a powerful dog, it will require sufficient and adequate control. Some prospective elderly owners or children, will not be able to supply that control... A first-time dog owner, in the minds of many experienced dog breeders, should not buy an APBT or an AmStaff!. An insecure person who wants only an aggressive dog to bolster some personal human inadequacy should never become an owner of one of these dogs. An uncaring or negligent person should not buy an AmStaff or an APBT (or any other dog for that matter)."

An other very important characteristic of the Pit Bull dogs is their amazing love of people. Many people are surprised by the loving personality of these dogs the first time they meet one. Pit Bull dogs are indeed remarkably affectionate and truly enjoy human attention. They are wonderful cuddlers, and nothing beats a belly rub. In fact, most Pit Bulls think they are lap dogs!

Dunbar (1999) writes: "Today, a properly bred Pit Bull is so exuberantly happy upon meeting her owner's friends (or even friendly strangers) that new owners sometimes worry that their dog is too sweet and fun-loving to protect their home and family... A multitalented companion, the well-trained Pit Bull is suited for a variety of exciting activities. He excels at obedience, agility and weight-pulling competitions, events which showcase intelligence, trainability and strength. In addition, the Pit Bull's pleasant nature makes him an ideal candidate for therapy work with people."

Human aggression, severe shyness, and instability are not traits typically found and accepted in the APBT breed. Dogs with these traits are not good representatives of the breed and should not be placed into adoptive homes.

Like any other breed, Pit bulls can develop behavior problems if mishandled, abused, poorly bred, unsocialized, etc., that could result in inappropriate aggression. Any large, strong, and powerful dog who attack can do a lot of damage - This is why temperament evaluation is important when dealing with dogs of certain size and potential. Unlike the myth propagated by the media however, human aggression is NOT a problem specific to the Pit Bull breed. In fact, Pit Bulls tend to do better than average in temperament tests.

The American Temperament Test Society provides temperament testing around the country for dog breeds, and gives a passing score for the entire breed based on the percentage of passed over failed within total number of the particular breed tested. As of December 2002, the American Pit Bull Terrier has a current passing rate of 83.2%, and the American Staffordshire Terrier passes at 82.6%. In comparison, The Golden Retriever passing rate is 82.5%

Pit Bull type dogs are wonderful, loving, and very loyal companions. It is important however, to understand the breed's nature, to provide a structured environment, and to establish a positive leadership role. In order to do so, Pit Bull owners must understand the original purpose of the breed, and respect its limit and potential.

The Breed's Original Purpose
Humans have created very specialized dogs through emphasizing desired traits and eliminating unwanted ones. It is no different with the Pit Bull breed. The American Pit Bull Terrier has been "selectively" bred for hundreds of years to fight other dogs. This is the sad "work" these dogs were created for. In the same way that Labradors were bred to retrieve birds, APBTs were bred to face other dogs in mortal combats. Even in dogs that are not recently bred from fighting lines, the urge to fight can arise at any time. Not to strongly emphasize this fact would be negligent.

That said, we can't blame specialized breeds for behaving like they were bred to. Certain specific traits were selectively bred into the dogs and are now part of the breed's character. It's like the digging instinct of many Terriers, the herding behavior in Shelties, the compulsion to run in Greyhounds, etc. Your Pointer may have never spent a day on a real hunt, but he may still point and flush birds as his ancestors were bred to do.

We don't have to condone or glorify it, but dog-aggression is not uncommon with Pit Bull dogs. Owners must recognize and accept this fact or they wont be able to provide competent ownership and have fun with their dogs.

It's a mistake to think that the fighting gene can be easily trained or loved out of a dog, or that early socialization will guarantee your Pit Bull will always get along with other animals. There are precautions to take when owning Pit Bulls, especially in a multiple-dog environment. Unfortunately these precautions are often viewed as an acceptance for the sport of pit fighting when nothing could be further from the truth. PBRC believes that knowing how to avoid a fight, as well as how to break it up if despite all efforts one strikes, is proof of smart and responsible Pit Bull ownership.

Never trust a Pit Bull not to fight...
It is not necessarily a hate of other dogs that will cause Pit Bulls to fight, but rather an "urge" to do so that has been bred into the breed for many generations. Pit bulls may fight over hierarchic status, but external stimulus or excitement can also trigger a fight. Remember that any canine can fight, but Pit Bulls were bred specifically for drive, intensity, and determination to win.

Pit Bull owners must also be aware of the remarkable fighting abilities of this breed, and always keep in mind that Pit Bulls have the potential to inflict serious injuries to other animals. A Pit Bull may not even be the one starting a conflict, but he has the genetic to finish it. Remember that Pit Bulls are almost always blamed no matter who started it, and often end up paying the price at the hands of the authorities - So does the owner!

With all that said, some Pit Bulls get along great with other pets and may live happily with other dogs without any incidents. We just can't assume that this is true for all of them, or take it for granted. Pit Bull owners need to have common sense and to make sure they will not set their dogs up for failure by putting them in the wrong situations.

Every negative incident involving a Pit Bull adds to the breed's reputation and jeopardizes our right to own these great dogs - Keep your Pit Bull out of trouble!

In closing, please remember that animal-aggression and people-aggression are two distinctive traits and should never be confused. Unless they have been very poorly bred and/or specifically "trained" to attack humans (often by undesirable individuals through abusive methods), Pit Bulls are by nature very good with people. They are in fact one of the most loving, loyal, friendly, and dedicated companions one can have.

PBRC hopes this article will help people understand why so many of us are deeply dedicated to these wonderful dogs. Not only do Pit Bull dogs need more help, compassion and understating than any other breed, but they will pay you back with more love and loyalty than you could ever dream of.

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Thank you for posting that, Ben. It was very informative, and I enjoyed learning more about these dogs. It is also good to know that there is an organization in place to stand against the heinous uses to which these poor animals have been put.

Blessed be.

HarmNone

Drew2
08-29-2003, 03:21 PM
No matter how good of a dog they are, nothing will change that they're ugly as sin.

Taernath
08-29-2003, 03:36 PM
Facts:

1. Pit bulls are mammals.

2. Pit bulls fight ALL the time.

3. The purpose of the pit bull is to flip out and bite people.

Ben
08-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
No matter how good of a dog they are, nothing will change that they're ugly as sin.
You've obviously got no heart.
http://muglestonspitbullfarm.com/images/8_Scan0017_lg.jpg

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Heee! Look at the feet on that little guy. He is not about to tip over any time soon. :D

HarmNone

Gokkem
08-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Ben, thanks for that article. My neighbor has a pit, and I'm happy to learn more about them.

The pit my neighbor has is called 'Herbie'. Herbie is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever seen. We have a husky-type dog (female) about his size. If I didn't know any better I'd think they are boyfriend/girlfriend. They run, stomp, play and just have a great time. Herbie is SO patient with my dog. My dog bites his feet while he's tryin to walk, jumps on his back, gets in his face, tugs on his ears........I've seen her pull him across the room by his collar (obviously he could stop all this in a hearbeat if he wanted, he could kill her in les than 5 sec). Herbie comes over at least once a day and scratches on the front door til we let him in. He goes around, gets attention from everyone, takes a bunch of crap from my bitch of a dog, then goes on about his way. I would love to have him, what a great dog.

My grandma was a vet's assistant for many years, until she 'retired' and opened a dog grooming shop. She always said if a dog is crazy, take a look at the owner.

[Edited on 08-29-03 by Gokkem]

longshot
08-29-2003, 08:44 PM
[i]
.... My grandma was a vet's assistant for many years, until she 'retired' and opened a dog grooming shop. She always said if a dog is crazy, take a look at the owner.

[Edited on 08-29-03 by Gokkem]

Ben is a very, very normal and charming young man. We all have nothing to worry about.

HarmNone
08-29-2003, 08:55 PM
It must be great fun to have a dog visitor, Gokkem. I think it is awesome that the next door neighbor dog comes to visit your dog. Sounds like they have a good time together, as well.

My parents had a Burmese cat. The neighbor's poodle used to come to visit the cat, and a good time was inevitably had by all. The neighbor took to walking Hoot (the cat) on a leash when he walked the poodle. He and his charges got quite a bit of attention from passers-by. :)

HarmNone loves animals and people, too

Gokkem
08-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Haha cats on a leash. That's funny, most cats don't tolerate that crap.

Ilvane
08-30-2003, 07:50 AM
My cat would kill me if I put her on a leash..lol

My dog died not too long ago, but when he was alive, the cat would basically attack the dog(playfully), and they would roll around and play most of the day. The dog was a newfoundland, a big dog, and my cat would have him whimpering and running to me all the time..lol My cat is tough.

When he died, she walked around the house depressed for a while.

-A

Gokkem
08-30-2003, 07:54 AM
That's so sad. After our last cat and dog died we swore we'd never get any more animals, they are too hard to lose. One year later we have a dog and a cat that were both homeless strays. Couldn't find their owners and can't bear taking an animal to the pound, so, the cycle starts again. They are both a part of the family and we love em both to death. LOL go figure.

Bobmuhthol
08-30-2003, 09:01 AM
<<the cat would basically attack the dog(playfully)>>

My cats fight all the time. Not so playfully.

The little one pounces on the big one's head. She proceeds to pin him down and kick his face.

Edit - Little = Male. Big = Female.

[Edited on 8-30-2003 by Bobmuhthol]

Gokkem
08-30-2003, 09:15 AM
My cats fight all the time. Not so playfully.

The little one pounces on the big one's head. She proceeds to pin him down and kick his face.

And just like some of the former posters on these boards, I bet he gets up and tries it all over again. It's a vicious circle that isn't unique to only animals.

HarmNone
08-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Gokkem
Haha cats on a leash. That's funny, most cats don't tolerate that crap.

Oddly, Siamese, Burmese and any cat derived from that line can be trained to a leash, if started as a kitten. Having said that, my current feline house denizen would never tolerate a leash.

HarmNone

HarmNone
08-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Gokkem
And just like some of the former posters on these boards, I bet he gets up and tries it all over again. It's a vicious circle that isn't unique to only animals.

Heh. How true that is. Thanks for the laugh, Gokkem. :D

HarmNone

Bestatte
08-30-2003, 06:31 PM
I'm mostly a "cat person," however I've been lucky to have a dog in my life for several years. I learned that I like big dogs, not those little lap-dogs that think they're cats but drool more and make noise.

Pits are absolutely AWESOME dogs. They -are- aggressive by nature, it's in their genetic structure. It isn't safe to -ever- let a pit roam free, even in your own fenced-in yard. I've seen a pit jump a 4 foot fence.

Today I was in Providence RI for the day, and there was this girl sitting on the stoop of a storefront with her pitbull. I've never had any fear of dogs, so I walked right up to him and held my hand out under his head. He gave it a sniff, and then proceeded to lick my face. The pit's head was bigger than mine, and he had that slender muscular little body pits have...

Just too much, they're a hoot to hang out with.

Then again, I am also a staunch supporter of rottweilers as pets rather than guard dogs.. and my dream would be to own a wolf-shepard mix. They're bred in the midwest and are EXTREMELY difficult to care for but they're just too amazing.

The only "big" dogs I have no interest in are Great Danes and St. Bernards. The first is just TOO big and clumsy, the second drools too much.

German Shepard mix breeds are great - pure-breds have too many issues with genetic hip defects.

But pits..they're just FUN as hell.

Betheny
08-30-2003, 06:38 PM
I hear greyhounds make great pets, though they're a bit active. There's a dog track near here that adopts out their 'retired' racing dogs. I've always wanted to get one, but I don't think i could devote enough time to a pet as the pet would deserve.

I think domesticated animals are like people. I don't think they're BORN mean, they're MADE mean by the people that teach them.

Crazed Sylvan
08-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Some of those dogs have the absolute biggest tongues ever.. the sort that would probably tear half your face off if they licked you.

Bestatte
08-31-2003, 07:05 AM
To Maimara, re: hostile dogs:

Some breeds of dogs are innately "friendly," while others are innately "hostile."

It is in their genetic makeup, a strand of DNA that determines one or the other.

The dog I had for a few years was treated VERY poorly by her previous owners, and she didn't have the propensity for hostility at all. She behaved more like a pointer - very spritely and active, while at other times content to lay down in my lap or beside me on top of the bed when I slept.

She was half german shepard, 1/4 doberman pincher, and 1/4 shetland sheepdog. The sheepdog personality was very prevelant in her. She would chase after anyone running in the street, as though trying to round them up and bring them back to the herd.

She was a very BIG dog...about the size of a shep, with shep colorings, and dobie eyebrows (you know those funky orange eyebrows?), but her fur was longer than a shep and had to be brushed regularly.

She was mistreated, yet was not hostile. She was friendly because it was in her genetic structure to be friendly, not because of how she was treated.

If her dobie strain was dominant, she would not have been inherently friendly, and "friendliness" would have had to been trained into her, or otherwise encouraged.

All dogs have that -potential- for both friendliness and hostility. But all dogs also will be -born- with one or the other as their dominant personality trait. And that trait is determined by breed.

edge
08-31-2003, 07:22 PM
My sisters Cougar died last year. But for being such a large animal it was like a kitten. Thought her dog was it's mother, they would sleep and play with each other. You come into the house and funiture was laying over from them playing all day. Eventually she had to start keeping it outside(in a enclose pen) because of the new conservation officer was freaking out about her walking it and having it in the house. Sheriffs would bring deer that got hit for the cat to eat. It ate bone and all. If you went swimming in the pond in the back, the cougar would swim right behind you. Just broke every stereo type I had about those animals. Loved water, was a big kitten, would sleep next to you. Never showed any agression towards anyone. She had birds, horses, cats and dogs and it never hurt anything. I would stalk the horses but never hurt them. But it was declawed front and back. To bad lightning struck the cage and killed it.

When they would go out they would leave it in the garage which was attached to the house. Well, the house got broken into one and night and the robbers opened the garage door. They got the biggest surprise of their life when that cat came out...lol