PDA

View Full Version : Chronomage dagger retardedness

Malvadere
08-29-2011, 01:09 PM
So I recently aquired the Chronomage daggers in shattered and while they're really fun, surprisingly effective, and awesome...the messaging is just stupid. Bellow is an example, cut from Krakiipedia.

You throw a crystal-edged vultite dagger at Zuzana! AS: +65 vs DS: +68 with AvD: +20 + d100 roll: +52 = +69 A clean miss.

As a crystal-edged vultite dagger sails past its Zuzana, its trajectory through the air slows suddenly, so much so that the dagger appears to be hanging there in stasis. You move over to it and snatch the dagger from its flight-path, then jog back to where you were previously. Suddenly everything returns to normal speed as time catches up with itself.

Taking a chance you hurl the dagger at Zuzana again and suddenly everything returns to normal speed as time catches up with

So, time stops around me, and what do I do? Walk over, get the dagger and proceed to jog back to take aim for another throw. The fuck? Gouge their eyes out, slit the throat, chop their balls off and feed them to them. I know mechanically that would be insane and overpowered, but then why write something so stupid?

Inspire
08-29-2011, 01:17 PM
The messaging is a little silly.

audioserf
08-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah that's really bad.

Donquix
08-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Same problem, conceptually, with haste in general. I can move like 5 times faster than you and I can't just walk up and stick a dagger in your eye?

Archigeek
08-29-2011, 01:23 PM
And which skill set would you use for the eye-stab? I can definitely see your point, but imagine you're the designer for a moment, and you're designing a HURLING weapon. Do you want to saddle the hurler with requiring them to learn OHE? I realize that's mostly the case, but one can hope that it wouldn't be required to hurl effectively someday. I think they did it the way they did, to keep it a hurling weapon, without injecting any other skill requirements.

Your point is valid though: it entirely makes sense that if time stopped you'd be stabbing the eye rather than jogging back, but from a game design perspective, I think they were just trying to keep it neat.

TheEschaton
08-29-2011, 01:30 PM
I like the fact that you jog back. No hurry here, but you don't want people to think you're just taking it easy, either.

Fallen
08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
I like the fact that you jog back. No hurry here, but you don't want people to think you're just taking it easy, either.

Hahaha.

Ceyrin
09-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Maybe they should have had "coup de grace" flares, instead of "repeatedly hurling" flares.

Donquix
09-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Like when you're driving and people are crossing the street in front of you and they start "jogging", but are actually going the exact same speed they were when they were "walking"

Fallen
09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Like when you're driving and people are crossing the street in front of you and they start "jogging", but are actually going the exact same speed they were when they were "walking"

Hey, I resemble that. It's the thought that counts!

Drew
09-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Really they should have the time-stop combine with a returner. That would make more sense. Or it should just loop around the target and slash them again.

DaCapn
09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
I have already once marveled at how exceedingly lame that messaging is. (Like 1035 with finger cymbals lame).

As far as inconsistencies go, what gets to me more is the fact that the CHRONOmages transport people through space. But the Chronomage dagger messaging hints only at time effects. While this has some kind of merit in the strict sense of spacetime (i.e. space and time are not separable), the messaging suggests that space and time are independent. I'm kind of over thinking it but it's just kind of weird. Maybe that makes some sense.

Anyway, the messaging could have been a lot better if they just stuck with spatial transport. Just thinking for a minute or two:

One-shot:
As the dagger (strikes|sails past) its target, there is a brief ripple in space itself as the dagger vanishes!
There is a soft pulse in the essence as the dagger appears in your right hand.
Multiple shots:
As the dagger strikes its target, there is a sudden and intense surge in the essence!
Space itself seems to become unstable as the dagger flickers in and out of view!
(Mstrike)
There is a soft pulse in the essence as the dagger appears in your right hand.

Nothing too special but not totally retarded either.

Middian
09-06-2011, 05:50 PM

hahaha I spit my water out...thanks! =P

Gibreficul
09-22-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm still all about taking one of them off your hands when you get bored with em.

Malvadere
09-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm still all about taking one of them off your hands when you get bored with em.

You're first on the list, starting to think two might be overkill. I'm really surprised how easy it is to one shot stuff chucking daggers.