PDA

View Full Version : Training Plan Question

AbnInfamy
07-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Currently TWC Bard, and I have a veritable butt ton of PTP. Well over 100 at level 19. I need to figure out what is going to be the most effective training plan for the future.

The way I see it I have a few options:
1) Do MoC every level until I can double strike at level 28. Stopped at 15 currently
2) Train manipulation lore so I can single target as soon as I hit 1030
3) Dump all of them into armor use and go from double leather up to brigandine, and sit there for a while. (Am I going to notice a huge survival difference going from double to brig?)
4) Dump all of the points into CM so that I'm 1x per level instead of .5X
5) Save up and start doubling spell research every few levels

It would be nice if I could train survival and first aid enough to skin, but I would only be 1x survival and .75 FA

Current training plan
2X TWC
2X Edged
1X HP
1X Dodge
1X PF
.5X CM
15 ranks MoC
18 Ranks Air Lore (I like the 12% flares, but I'm stopping here)

Thoughts?

andrew wiggin
07-20-2011, 02:48 PM
you'll need that focus moc. thereafter. it'll be your tough choice between secondary skills(skinning) or more combat(manipulation + cm).

Drakefang
07-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm actually pretty sure that the MOC and spells and Manipulation should all wait.

I'd be more concerned with the CM and armor. Yes, brig is superior to double leather for protection sake. You may not enjoy the spell hindrance but you don't lose any mana, at least. Unless you spell tank, then you may squeak by for about 15 levels without needing it but by your 30's you should anticipate getting hit some. The CM is important because it gives you better options and more skill with your cmans. Without those to use, you tend to run a much higher mana consumption by using 1005 and 410 as critter setup. I prefer to be able to save mana by using sweep or hamstring. Going .5x also means a slight AS loss over time.

MOC will be something you want to invest in heavily in the future.

Suppressed Poet
07-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Go option 3 first. Double leather sucks and you are going to get hit. I would immagine you are vulnerable to bolts/ranged and not quite as high on melee defence as a shield user. Of equal importance, you will gain benefits on CvA to ward spells. Get to brig asap.

After that it's a harder decision. You need to shoot for chain. You need MOC. You need more cman.

AbnInfamy
07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
So if armor is so important. Should I take an entire level's worth of training and put it all into armor and get into brig? I always save my TP and never spend them as I get them so I know what I can afford at each level.

Reltov420
07-27-2011, 12:28 PM
I've been in augmented chain since level 31, I'd do it the same again.

(at level 43), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 166 66
Armor Use..........................| 160 60
Combat Maneuvers...................| 146 46
Edged Weapons......................| 190 90
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 146 46
Dodging............................| 108 26
Harness Power......................| 145 45
Mental Mana Control................| 90 20
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 120 30
Mental Lore - Telepathy............| 93 21
Perception.........................| 25 5
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 5

Spell Lists
Bard...............................| 40
Training Points: 6 Phy 1 Mnt

AbnInfamy
07-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I prefer to be able to save mana by using sweep or hamstring.

Reading through the forums people seem to suggest daggers or shortswords for hamstringing.

Before I dump my points into it, will handaxes not work properly for it?

AbnInfamy
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 166 66

How much do you find yourself missing with only 1.5x TWC? Also, how easily do you deal with the AS hit?

Drakefang
07-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Reading through the forums people seem to suggest daggers or shortswords for hamstringing.

Before I dump my points into it, will handaxes not work properly for it?

I used handaxes more often than anything else. I didn't feel like I had trouble using the cman.

gs4-PauperSid
07-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm a huge fan of mstrike. That said, my bard is trained to sing up ASG 15 armor. Additionally, my ranger archer liked moving up from double leather to brig so much....that he trained into double chain. Same with my cleric (granted he's not a typical cleric for these days). Survivability goes WAY up.

It's well worth being able to take a hit that previously would have led to a stun, then death. My vote is for armor. (I'm normally solo and self cast with my characters so maybe going all the way to chain isn't necessary for you just yet.)

-J

Reltov420
07-28-2011, 12:22 AM
How much do you find yourself missing with only 1.5x TWC? Also, how easily do you deal with the AS hit?

I haven't seen the 'Cannot find opened for lefthand strike' message since early 20's, and not much then. It's no problem. Also, no big AS hit, easily dealt with.