PDA

View Full Version : New to Nelemar

Ravelin
07-18-2011, 11:59 AM
I just arrived at Teras and drank a fixskills potion. I am a capped human rogue looking to hunt in Nelemar, but I'm not sure which skills I need. All of my skills are currently at 0.
What kind of armor would be best? (Armor vs. Dodging)
How much swimming do I need to make it to nelemar? (never been there)
Should I 3x stalking and hiding or will they find me anyways?
How much picking and disarming ranks will I need to pick the boxes?
What is the undead/living ratio? Could I hunt there without a bless and only kill living?
What else do I need to know as far as dangerous critter attacks and area rules?

audioserf
07-18-2011, 02:48 PM
I feel like these are questions you ought to have asked before drinking a fixskill potion/buying your rogue

JustDan
07-18-2011, 02:58 PM
You should read the Rogues folder. There are lots of examples of typical builds, with plenty of intelligent discourse (:lol:) regarding their pros and cons. You're also going to want to underhunt (a lot) for a while until you learn how to play your rogue, otherwise you're going to get very frustrated. And Teras is not the best place to do that, but it is what it is. Go hunt red thraks and pyrothags. Refine your hunting style, and imagine every time they swing and miss (at least they better...) that you're getting nailed, then find out how to prevent that.

Personally, I'd recommend either an archer build or a TWC rogue build, but you really need to do a lot of reading first, to figure out what style appeals most to you.

To pick your own boxes, you're going to want to consider 2.5x pick / disarm. That'll help you get most of them.

It's been a long time personally, but I believe the only undead in Nelemar are ethereal triton sentries, and they're a bitch and a half. I'd avoid them until you're very comfortable in your new skin and build.

You need a lot of swimming (~60 ranks?) to get in and out, especially weighed down with loot and injured.

Maguses snipe from hiding. Greater Water Elementals are the antichrist. Combatants charge and disarm. Sirens lull you to sleep (but are squishy). Radicals are sorcerors. Others could inform you better on this, but the bottom line is that you need to hit the rogues section, do some research in to the various builds, and decide which way you want to play.

Asha
07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
If you decide to go THW or archery, let me know and I'll hit you up with a full training plan for your capped rogue + hunting tactics aiming to hunt 3rd floor when I get home.
Never picked before so only can advise combat im afraid.

whiteflash
07-19-2011, 10:10 AM
I have seen rogues use both ambush/ohx and archery very effectively, havn't seen twc yet. You will almost certainly want to master disarm or use cheap gear, they WILL disarm you.

For non-casters hunting sentries and greater elementals can be really brutal unless you swing a heavy weapon 650+ AS with mstrike. I am not sure how ambush types can kill them safely. Perhaps some of your guild tricks can open them up enough. They do not stun and sentries can't be ewaved (without phasing).

You can only hunt the alive things and have no problems filling your mind. If you stick to the third floor you will mostly only find defenders that are undead.

Unless you can spell tank heavily you will need to be quite careful opening yourself up to attacks. The radicals, combatants and defenders all mstrike with pole arms and can do serious damage through full plate/redux/padding.

Sentries(Undead/noncorp)-Implode/dispel/dark catalyst
Greater/Elementals-Maneuver attack/greater ewave/dispel
Sirens-sleep/slow/dispel
Dissemblers-disentegrate/implode/dispel
Radicals-mass dispel/empathic assault/mstrike/charge
Defenders(undead/noncorp)-mstrike/charge/disarm
Magus-snipe with mean flaring arrows/noise/fury
Combatants-mstrike/charge/disarm

Beguiler
07-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Spectral triton defenders and ethereal triton sentries are the two types of undead in Nelemar.

Sentries are a bitch, as has been said, and defenders charge, and both have their down side. I can't really advise you on Rogue tactics as I'm an empath in there, and both are vulnerable to fire and defenders fall well to wither.

Gizmo
07-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Nelemar is easy peazy for ambushing Rogues. Both Archery and TWC, which I did both with Kyal.

Archery you will have to plink away though more at the combatants in comparison to ambushing with a weapon.

If you stick solely to the third floor, everything is pretty easy if you play it smart. I never bothered with defenders, everything else was easy game with the eyeball ambushing. Take out any Radicals first however, since they are your bane for the most part up there, then combatants.

Drakefang
07-19-2011, 11:44 AM
What Gizmo said.

Archery (both sniping and open) is an easy route and will lean you more towards a picking build with 2x perception. As a bardic archer I like executioners, dissemblers, radicals (3rd floor), water elementals, magus, and interestingly sentries (as they do appear to crit or have low HP/bolt DS) but they are dangerous. I am neutral towards sirens and combatants because they don't represent a huge danger but do carry shield which need to be removed to make em easier to shoot. I do not like GWE's or defenders because each require way too many arrows to kill. Obviously, for a rogue I would suggest sniping over open haste shooting (which is my method).

I would be interested in seeing an ambushing twc rogue and how they handled Nelemar. I think the safest route would be to ambush with OHE/Shield to create as much DS as possible unless you triple dodge. 2x dodge and 1x shield with a buckler or med shield appears to generate about as much DS as possible. Without a high DF weapon I would not try to go toe to toe with defenders, either water elemental or radicals. Ambushing changes that and brings radicals very much into play I would assume.

Even if you go a route that creates some DS, you should get as many 400/100 spells as possible. Have enough arcane symbols and MIU that you can wear them without spell burst.

Beyond that, I think there is a lot about hunting a capped rogue I wouldn't know. I do think that they can be successful there and it's just a matter of proper training and technique. I agree with the poster who said to underhunt and learn your skills/cmans and tactics before attempting Nelemar. I suggest trying a group if you choose not to hide. Open hunting can be very effective even for a rogue but it changes your tactics greatly.

Good hunting.

Ravelin
07-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh, I meant new to Nelemar not new to my skin:forehead: Thanks for all the help. Also how do I know im not in danger of being spellbursted?

Sam
07-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Oh, I meant new to Nelemar not new to my skin:forehead: Thanks for all the help. Also how do I know im not in danger of being spellbursted?

http://www.krakiipedia.org/wiki/Spell_burst

It's not really an exact science, so you'll really just have to test the waters. Just try wearing one extra spell every time you go in. If you're only a little over you won't get bursted that bad (anecdotal evidence only) and you'll just lose enough spells to put you under the limit, so you can probably finish your hunt..

Gibreficul
07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Just a note:

max trap generated by Nelemar boxes... -480
Max lock generated by Nelemar boxes, -1435, with a lot of locks in that -1300 range. That said, 303 pick ranks, and whatever you need to get that -480 trap. (If you're min/maxing, that's usually between 270 and 280 ranks.)

Asrial
07-21-2011, 08:43 PM
If you want a fairly safe, and easy, fry.. stick to the 3rd floor.

Radicals and executioners are your safest best. If you see a dissembler on your way in, feel free to obliterate it (just get into hiding asap).

Sirens and combatants aren't worth the effort unless you have methods other than an arrow to the eye.

Defenders aren't worth it unless you're in Voln.

The gen rate across the board is fairly strong that you can stick to the radicals/executioners alone and be fine.