PDA

View Full Version : edged + ranged and DS

Gibreficul
07-15-2011, 07:10 AM
ASSUME: Character is trained to be sword/board, and trained for ranged weapons.

What takes priority, and/or how is defense calculated when the character has a bow in the left hand, and an edged weapon in the right hand? Does anyone know for sure?

What I really want an answer to is... will my defense see a significant loss if I'm holding edged/bow instead of edged/nothing, edged/sheild, bow/nothing, bow/arrow? :help:

Asha
07-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Are you thinking of firing swords from a bow. Because if you are that's fucking badass.

Gibreficul
07-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Naw, I'm debating a ranged/edged build.

The master plan for the "hunting style" is to have a script watch to see if Surge of Strength is running or not... For the 90 seconds that it's up, go for the bow (and maybe snipe) and when that +16 drops, go back to my normal dagger/handaxe thing I do. Having done close to 20 warcamps in the last month or so, I find that even a dagger's 4 second ambush is too slow when you're hunting with casters. That 3 second RT is sounding really nice.

BriarFox
07-15-2011, 11:16 AM
I did that for awhile. I saw a DS drop with a sword in my hand, so ranged was taking precedence.

andrew wiggin
07-15-2011, 11:39 AM
I don't know the exact formula, but there is a significant ds loss when you're wielding a bow and ohe. it'll be the same or worst than nothing and ohe. The range ds seems to take precedence over ohe parry ds. As a bow is considered a two handed weapon the final ds calc acts similiar to a two hander wielding a maul in right hand and an ohe in left hand.

Also if you mstrike with an ohe in right hand and bow in left hand, there is a severe rt penalty applied. the base bow rt seems to get added to the ohe base rt like twc.

Gibreficul
07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

m444w
07-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I currently have this build Gib, it's very effective for a rogue. I'll post some clips for you.

Also, I think that it doesn't always take precedence if you use a dagger or some weird trick your DS won't drop. I forget because I usually just swap weapons when I am hiding.

m444w
07-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Usually goes a little something like this:

Clip One

You draw back on your umbra-wreathed bow and a glassy black obsidian bolt appears.
You fire a glassy black obsidian bolt at a lesser minotaur!
AS: +433 vs DS: +196 with AvD: +14 + d100 roll: +2 = +253
... and hit for 59 points of damage!
Attack punctures the eye and connects with something really vital!
A low gurgling sound comes from deep within the chest of the lesser minotaur as he falls slack against the ground.
The bolt breaks into tiny fragments.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
HR>touch mino
Ravenous tendrils of shadow burst forth from your body, streaking towards the lesser minotaur to consume it in a gory feast of toothy shadow maws and barbed tentacles!
H>
A krag dweller lumbers in, causing the ground to tremble with each passing step!
H>get short
You draw the slim shortsword from one of the slots on your steel-fettered harness.
H>
HR>ambush dwell right leg
You leap from hiding to attack!
You swing a kelyn-edged slim shortsword at a krag dweller!
AS: +406 vs DS: +207 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +40 = +246
... and hit for 35 points of damage!
Right kneecap smashed into pulp.
The krag dweller is knocked to the ground!
R>l
[Hidden Plateau]
Consisting of dirt and trampled grass, the path continues along the base of the mountain wall, as well as to the west. Large chunks of marble and metal, as well as shards of painted clay pottery, lie haphazardly in the grasses about the area. You also see a krag dweller (prone) and a white flask.
Obvious paths: north, south, west
R>cman vanish
With subtlety and speed, you aim to clandestinely vanish into the shadows.
Your injuries hinder your attempt to hide.
You attempt to blend with the surroundings and feel confident that no one has noticed your doing so.
HR>ambush
...wait 1 seconds.
HR>ambush
A soft feeling of serenity touches your mind, providing you with a clearer understanding of recent events.
H>
A krag dweller struggles to rise but fails in the attempt.
H>
You leap from hiding to attack!
You swing a kelyn-edged slim shortsword at a krag dweller!
AS: +406 vs DS: +124 with AvD: +7 + d100 roll: +55 = +344
... and hit for 56 points of damage!
Gruesome slash to the krag dweller's throat!
That stings... for about a second.
The krag dweller collapses into a pile of rubble.

Keep in mind I only use shortsword and smaller blades and a short bow, so your mileage may vary. I also didn't use any of my enhancives (why my RT is a second higher for sniping).

Ondreian (at level 72), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 130 35
Combat Maneuvers...................| 173 73
Edged Weapons......................| 244 144
Ranged Weapons.....................| 248 148
Ambush.............................| 174 74
Physical Fitness...................| 174 74
Dodging............................| 299 199
Magic Item Use.....................| 40 8
Harness Power......................| 99 23
Stalking and Hiding................| 243 143
Perception.........................| 246 146
Climbing...........................| 120 30
Swimming...........................| 102 24
Pickpocketing......................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 25

Best things about this build is the versatility to vanish and snipe against casters that have spells prepared and the ability to keep a crowd busy with ewave, as well as still having the ability to one or two-shot heavily armored foes, and having first strike capabilities versus flying creatures (griffins, airven, etc). Also the ranged is useful at the end of a hunt if you are encumbered.

Cons:
You feel like you are wasting TPs if there isn't a heavily armored foe in your hunting ground.

Gibreficul
07-16-2011, 04:42 AM
I'm "wasting" TPS just for the fact that I'm pushing 16 mil exp.

m444w
07-16-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm "wasting" TPS just for the fact that I'm pushing 16 mil exp.

Then you should be fine, it's fun and versatile, especially with your post-capness. Though I forget if you need 3x s/h to effectively snipe in the Temple