PDA

View Full Version : MA Teammate?

AbnInfamy
07-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm sure it's been done to death, but the search doesn't allow words less than 4 characters (I can't search for MA).

I'm stuck on my wizard, I'll be swinging or slinging, either way I'll be playing him, my problem is choosing a buddy for him.

I want a partner for him that will be able to hunt the same zones with relative ease, so their weaknesses aren't enhancing each other. Ie. One great maneuver avoider, so the other is getting dragged out every hit. One great bolt defense, so the other has his face burned off every cast.

What would be the better partner? A warrior or a bard? Warrior is THW, Bard is Sword/Board right now, but has a fix skill and I'd like to see him TWC (Maybe Pure would be better?).

I want to clear rooms. I would like to eventually warcamp them together.

To address the "Do what you want to do, do what's more fun". If I knew what I wanted to do, or what would be more fun, I'd just be doing it. And the cure-all won't fly, my wife said 3 accounts is not happening.

subzero
07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I want to clear rooms. I would like to eventually warcamp them together.

Wizard + Empath + troll warcamps = numbers.

Asha
07-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Bard. Bard. Bard. Bard. Bard.

Reltov420
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Get your balls back from the jar your wife has them in?

Asha
07-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah that. I meant that.

AbnInfamy
07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Wizard + Empath + troll warcamps = numbers.

What type of empath and wizard are we talking about? Both pures? I'm guessing a fire spirit empath?

Reltov- I haven't enjoyed balls for years, I don't know if I could tolerate the shock of their return.

AnticorRifling
07-12-2011, 03:09 PM
When I was playing I generally was hunting with a ranger and we cleaned house. Really mage + anything is going to do well. Just a lot of setup and utility there with haste, defensive spells, knockdowns, sleep, etc.

phantasm
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I played empath + wizard from 30-60, great team.

One annoying thing is all the people that try to get healing, so try to keep your empath's profession low key.

Drew
07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Ranger will give you better spells and is a very good hunting partner. Bard is a better hunting partner but won't give you as good of spells.

AbnInfamy
07-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Ranger will give you better spells and is a very good hunting partner. Bard is a better hunting partner but won't give you as good of spells.

Isn't the only ranger hunting style hide/ambush though? Or do they have a room clearing method?

Buckwheet
07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Room clearing mode is 1 second eye shots of proned creatures from tremors/ewave/weed.

subzero
07-12-2011, 03:55 PM
What type of empath and wizard are we talking about? Both pures? I'm guessing a fire spirit empath?

Yup. Bolting empath with lots of summoning lore. Rapidfire fireballs + 240/111 will make your screen scroll like it was 1995.

Drew
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Isn't the only ranger hunting style hide/ambush though? Or do they have a room clearing method?

Open archery combined with heavy spells for 635 pwnage in warcamps. Also they can drop a vine and 612 (with lores) to really slow down swarms.

Suppressed Poet
07-12-2011, 04:08 PM

As far as spells, I would suggest otherwise. Bard songs are really nice. 1006, 1007, 1018, 1035, and 1040 would help your wizard and of course the wizard would have nice spells to compliment your bard. The defensive spells a ranger could provide can be more easily found in scrolls which the wizard should be adept at. Vine is nice, but the wizard can just call wind or ewave for a simmilar effect. A bard's 1030 would trump a ranger's 635...not that the wizard really needs either of them.

As suggested, wizard + any other profession should kick ass. If it were me, I would choose a warrior and go TWC of THW. If you are looking for an extreeme contrast to strengths and weaknesses of your wizard, that would be the most obvious choice. You will run into situations where one survives and the other does not, but even so the talents of those two professions can be synced for a very good MA team.

AbnInfamy
07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
As suggested, wizard + any other profession should kick ass. If it were me, I would choose a warrior and go TWC of THW. If you are looking for an extreeme contrast to strengths and weaknesses of your wizard, that would be the most obvious choice. You will run into situations where one survives and the other does not, but even so the talents of those two professions can be synced for a very good MA team.

The contrast is my biggest fear actually. I'm running warrior/wizard currently and they're both around level 15. So far it's been great, but I'm afraid down the road I'll be spending 50% of my time dragging the other back to town due to poor hunting area decisions. Are there going to be hunting areas available to me throughout the game (Realistically level 30-50) that will allow me to survive relatively easily with both chars?

Suppressed Poet
07-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Meh...any way you look at it, as the levels go up you will have to be more selective. I honestly don't think it would be that much different than many other mixes.

Grimswarm, for instance, always have one type that will give a certain build/profession more trouble than another. This is going to be the same for an open archer ranger or a lance build bard. I would base the decision off what two will compliment each other best.

Tenzle
07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
I currently play a bard + wizard duo -- 37 bard 40 wizard, and they are a disgusting team, both are pure, runestaff wizard, and open handed brawling on the bard. Generally the wizard just does a bit of damage to each monster with either 906, or 518 for swarms, and then the bard cleans up everything with disruption.

I've also had the bard as a lancer but it just can't compete with 1030.

Anebriated
07-13-2011, 09:25 AM
IMO the only reason to take the empath over the bard would be for the spirit spells.

Kitsun
07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
In terms of killing power, I think it is pointless arguing over which class to choose over another. Any single class can kill crap. Any two can kill crap faster and compliment each other because that is the way training works in GS.

The main decider for my team was always utility off the battlefield.

Do you mind losing yield from boxes by using the town locksmith? If yes, go with a rogue.
Do you mind carrying around 20-40lbs worth of herbs? If not, empath!
Do you have a stash of raise dead scrolls? Do you mind using the town cleric? Git yer own cleric!

NocturnalRob
07-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Any two can kill crap faster and compliment each other because that is the way training works in GS.
I love the way you kill things. It looks so effortless.

AnticorRifling
07-13-2011, 11:20 AM
That's serious compliments right there.

AbnInfamy
07-13-2011, 11:20 AM
In terms of killing power, I think it is pointless arguing over which class to choose over another. Any single class can kill crap. Any two can kill crap faster and compliment each other because that is the way training works in GS.

The main decider for my team was always utility off the battlefield.

Good point. I've played gemstone so sparsely that I'm not completely familiar with how each class hunts, so this was very helpful.

I'm being pulled a few ways now, and I'm having major trouble deciding.

Empath is out, I can't fry them both due to mana concerns at this level (20ish)

TWC Bard sounds like a riot with sonic flares
Pure Bard sounds strong, but wearing a shield sounds meh
Archery Ranger, spikes!
open aim swinging ranger.

Anebriated
07-13-2011, 11:29 AM
pure bard isnt really viable until 40-50 but is extremely powerful. Something else to keep in mind is that if you go with something like an archery ranger as the compliment you would have 2 characters that do not face encumbrence issues that any swinging class would face and you could load up on boxes.

Asha
07-13-2011, 11:38 AM
The tall and short of it is, pick anything that's not a paladin, rogue or warrior.

Tenzle
07-13-2011, 12:20 PM
pure bard isnt really viable until 40-50 but is extremely powerful. Something else to keep in mind is that if you go with something like an archery ranger as the compliment you would have 2 characters that do not face encumbrence issues that any swinging class would face and you could load up on boxes.

Pure bard works at 30 so long as you duo with a wizard, and you don't have to use a shield; my bard currently has a flute in his left hand and an open right hand. The trick with bard / wizard is to 1x EMC on the wizard, and then get about 15 emc on the bard, and the wizard can just feed the little bard mana, since the bard ends up doing the really hard hitting.

Fallen
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
I would say Ranger/Wizard. The ranger will have his own spirituals and be able to provide you with the good ones 101, 103, 107, as well as Colors, Resist Elements, and Mobility. He in turn should be an OPEN fighting build (Hunting with hiders blows), augmented by a ton of DS/TD spells from the wizard 401, 406, 414, 503, 911 and of course 506. The ranger can also make imbeds for the wizard to provide him with 507, 508, 509, 905 etc. An archer build makes the most sense, but any attack style that you can haste down to 1 second and aim for vitals will work just fine.

Paladin is another option due to the spell compliments. Bards work, but haste then becomes redundant and they cannot offer spiritual spells. Rogues are like rangers without the spells. Warriors can't offer anything but warcries. Other pures will be redundant.

So I would say Wizard/Ranger or Wizard/Paladin would be your best bet.