PDA

View Full Version : Auction houses.

ganf
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
If you've already seen the post on the officials, return to your daily routine.

No? Go here. (http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Game%20Design%20Discussions/Developer's%20Corner%20-%20Game%20Design/view)

Just trying to drum up some support for something I believe could be very beneficial to the game. Feel free to add constructive criticism.

EDIT: I'll heed the advice of Fallen also.

I think that there has been a general consensus on how player shops have impacted GS(availability of needed items in exchange for player interaction) so this won't be a discussion on that. I also think there is a crippling dearth of player interaction with no person-to-person sales. Too many people enjoy player shops to suggest removing them, but I think they could be replaced with an alternative that would improve the roleplaying environment and make merchanting a lively experience, instead of a matter of shelving junk and waiting for someone to pay an exorbitant price, or find it in the first place.

To be more clear, buying and selling in my memory used to be a big part of the interaction in GS, and between player shops and message boards, it's almost non-existent, meaning interaction is way down, taking the RP out of MMORPG. And I think there is a happy medium to be had.

An auction house in every major town could be a strong focal point for players to meet, talk and interact on a regular basis, and with a little ingenuity could be entirely automated with no GM supervision after creation beyond the occasional bug.

Ideas on functionality:

Depending on popularity from town to town, each house would have certain times and dates that they would be active. People could choose to put items up for sale for a fee or a percentage, which would allow both the sale of more expensive items and lower end items without complaints about the cost. High end items can be entered for the fee without taking a huge chunk if it sells well, lower end items can go on percentage so that 2 or 3 fees don't completely wipe out the profit of the sale, if it doesn't sell immediately.

Players could choose to have their item put up for sale repeatedly until it sells if they so choose; lets just say they can enter for a maximum of 3 back to back auctions before having to relist the item, as an example.First time sales could be held first, with "Second calls" - items that the owner chose to put up for sale again if it didn't move the first time - and "Third calls" coming after this. This would allow players to view the new inventory without having to stick around for stuff they've already seen and have no interest in, while those who really are interested in something they saw up for sale before but didn't have the funds for only have to practice a little patience.

Items could be separated into tiers or categories or price range. I think this would take a little testing to see which is preferable, but price range would probably work the best. We've all told ourselves we were saving up for this runestaff or that breastplate only to have a piece of fluff come by that we couldn't live without that wiped out our bank account. Regardless, an example of tiers would be 1-4x, 5-7x, 8-10x weapons an armor, low end, mid-range and high end enhancives, etc... Categories is obviously weapons, armor, enhancives, fluff etc... Or something of that nature. You could even cross these organization methods if the auction houses got popular enough to warrant it. 1-4x enhancives, for example.

There would also be an option for silent auctions, if you'd like. Where a player can put something up for sale for a week or a month that is put on display, where people can come and look at it and place a bid. This would be especially desirable for high end items that we often see in the 10 million silver+ range. If you'd like, you could also include the option of having the auction stop after the item goes for a certain length of time without receiving any new bids. This could help keep things moving while also giving the option to allow items of high interest get their full price.

Honesty forthcoming: Some people have no clue where to set their minimum bid. Myself included. When the basics show they are working and players show they are enjoying the system, options could be added like allowing them to set a price reduction that automatically occurs every time the item doesn't sell. Moreover, sometimes people just want to clean out their lockers, but don't want to throw stuff in the trash barrel. You could give the players the option of defaulting by choosing not to pay the fee for putting the item up for sale. (For people who chose the percentage option, this could be a percentage of the minimum bid they set.) By defaulting the item becomes the property of the auction house, who then puts it up for sale again at a lower price. This could be either in the main auction, or in a secondary defaults-only auction. Not sure which would be best. If it still doesn't sell, it could be reduced in price further and put in a pawnshop-style store, or listed at it's default mechanical value in said store. I would vote for the first, since an item's mechanical value doesn't always reflect it's player-base value.

I think this could be very opportunistic. It would allow a lot of opportunity for interaction, motivate some lazy people to move their merchandise at a reasonable price instead of letting it sit in the shops til doomsday, and has a lot of room for improvement to keep it interesting. Such as allowing people to purchase the option to make anonymous bids in the open auctions, private auctions for a fee, etc... Social events could be held around the auctioning of higher end items, much like the houses do raffles but with a reason to stick around and talk. It also gives the GM's a great opportunity to introduce certain items to the game. I don't doubt that people enjoy their hunt for history items, but think that if they were brought into the game in this type of medium instead of droughtmans where everyone crossed their fingers in hopes of a coraesine this or zelnorn that, they would have had much more fanfare and praise, and would have a much higher value placed on them.

I'll express this opinion at the risk of shooting myself in the foot. Player shops were desired and can be convenient. I've bought from them several times. However, they've also taken a lot away from the atmosphere of GS. Auctions over the amulet weren't necessarily great. It often got hectic to keep track of and allowed a lot of opportunity for scamming. I think that if done correctly, auction houses could be a good combination of the positive aspects of both while eliminating most, if not all, of the negative aspects.

A lot of work? Most likely. Worth the work? Absolutely.

Fallen
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I would just X-post it here in its entirety.

Stry
06-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I definitely like the idea, but if it ended up being anything like the Auction houses in WoW I don't see it bolstering player interaction much, if at all.

Axhinde
06-22-2011, 01:59 PM
It would have to be done in real time, with all parties present at tine of auction. With a player controlled auctioeer, ala Barrett Jackson style. Could be fun.

Inspire
06-22-2011, 02:52 PM
I think the overall idea is a good one.

I don't think it will win approval though.

There's just too much stuff to be done for them to consider adding another project.

ganf
06-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Add verbs for bidding and you don't need a player running the show. It'd be rather simple verbs also.

Selling parties don't have to be present at the auction. They add their item to the auction, it goes into storage, and is added to the manifest automatically in order. Trick is finding out how many items you should put on a manifest before it's considered full, so people aren't sitting around all night waiting for the last item.

Too much stuff to be done I understand, but this is certainly something which is beneficial to gameplay, and not just a slapon to keep people interested or the never-ending development of a class so anticipated it will never live up to expectations.

EDIT: Oh, and I have never played WoW. I'm thinking of real auction houses when I propose this. Ya dig?

Ardwen
06-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Players Shops was the single worst implementation of a great idea in GS history, when they were being discussed originally I loved the idea, with the proviso that Shops be part of town and an extremely limited number, making mini malls outside of the actual town area absolutely killed one of the most vital interactive parts of Gemstone, the net. Shops should have been done as some sort of deeded property, or house annex perhaps not a flea market.

Axhinde
06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Not to mention that I hate hate hate when people don't have the item's stats either on the sign or, better yet, sung to and assessed before they go on the shelves....Ardwen.

Plus I'm pnoid about buying from playershops.

Ardwen
06-22-2011, 06:43 PM
As I have stated many times, my shop isnt intended to actually sell anything, dont need stats or info to not sell stuff.

Stry
06-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Auction houses in WoW are basically a depot in every town that allows you to put items on the shelf for sale, and browse through all the current items up for grabs. You can sort by category, type, etc. The house takes a fee when you list something, and if something sells you get the funds in the mail.

I think having an auction house set up in say the Merchant's Guild in the landing would be a cool idea. It could start with something simple like scripts for the room were the Auctioneer can open bidding, closing bidding, put an item on display. Buyers could have a BID verb. There could be Buyout options on certain items.

It would work on a smaller scale and require a live auctioneer and a live audience. That would be a more feasible project. EDIT: And encourage interaction.

Drew
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Having an in-game auction is a great way to get less than your item is worth.

ganf
06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Auction houses in WoW are basically a depot in every town that allows you to put items on the shelf for sale, and browse through all the current items up for grabs. You can sort by category, type, etc. The house takes a fee when you list something, and if something sells you get the funds in the mail.

I think having an auction house set up in say the Merchant's Guild in the landing would be a cool idea. It could start with something simple like scripts for the room were the Auctioneer can open bidding, closing bidding, put an item on display. Buyers could have a BID verb. There could be Buyout options on certain items.

It would work on a smaller scale and require a live auctioneer and a live audience. That would be a more feasible project. EDIT: And encourage interaction.

Thank you for understanding. There are many ways to start this small and move it into a larger-scale setting later. Having players set times and run their own auctions in a scripted area is a perfect way to kick it off.

ganf
06-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Having an in-game auction is a great way to get less than your item is worth.

Learn how to set a minimum bid. If it sells too low, it's your fault, not the bidders. If you aren't willing to accept less than a certain amount for an item, you know where to start. If you don't really care and just want it sold, 1 coin. If you want to pique interest and see what happens, willing to accept a loss, start low.

Simple concept. One that's been around since the inception of.... Auctions everywhere?....

Edit: Oh, and I really don't see the connection. If auction houses were to catch on you'd see some ridiculous bidding wars as character egos get involved. People are funny like that. I know I am. I've overpaid for several items simply because the other person made some smarmy remark about winning just before the final call on the amulet back in the day..... Same with any other market. You've just got to know what to sell, when, and for how much.

Drew
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Learn how to set a minimum bid. If it sells too low, it's your fault, not the bidders. If you aren't willing to accept less than a certain amount for an item, you know where to start. If you don't really care and just want it sold, 1 coin. If you want to pique interest and see what happens, willing to accept a loss, start low.

Simple concept. One that's been around since the inception of.... Auctions everywhere?....

If you're going to set a high MB why not just sell it on the PC which has many more eyes than any in-game auction will? The idea of an auction is you start with no MB and excitement drives the prices high. You could set a reserve but that dampens bidding. The only way to make money in auctions is to have a big one with lots of headlining items to get people in the location. In fact I may throw one of those together soon.

ganf
06-22-2011, 10:05 PM
If you read carefully. That was the idea... But you have to start somewhere.

Inspire
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
I like the WoW auction house.

If they get the mail system up and running where you can ship items to players I could see an auction house having more potential.

It would have to be a replica of the WoW system to be worth it. Every property of the item would be listed, it would have a minimum bid, it would be listed for 48 hours (Maximum) and it has the option of a Buy It Now/Buyout.

48 hours encourages people to stop by more often because the stock will rotate.

Fees for listing the item, buying the item, shipping the item if it's in a different town.

It's a ripoff of WoW, but it works and it works well.

Ardwen was spot on with what he said a few posts back. I'd also like to mention that I have been spamming the amunet in the landing and I will continue to do so if anyone else wants to join me. It's up to us to bring the blacknet back.

ganf
06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Seems that WoW sucks at auctions. I'll stick with the original idea of mimicking an actual auction house, since it fits in well with a roleplaying environment, which is what this whole idea was meant to encourage.