PDA

View Full Version : I'm speechless...

Anebriated
05-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Alright, I was just getting back from a hunt and having a friend pick a couple boxes for me when i noticed this. It really bothers me that we can be scolded for going outside the lines and then they go and do things like this.

Speaking to Sozz, you ask, "Having a little trouble?"
>
You swap your thanot trunk from your left to your right hand.
>
You hear the faint thoughts of [OOC]-Jamus echo in your mind:
"Yeah.."
Sozz quietly says, "You always get the hard boxes."
>
Sozz deftly twirls a polished golden kelyn lockpick between two fingers.
>
Sozz settles into the difficult task of picking the lock on an engraved mithril coffer.
You hear a snap and then Sozz mumbles some unprintables.

Atlanteax
05-17-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't get it? :?:

But as you seem to be refering the the usage of the term "unprintables", it seems appropriate for a text-based medium.

Afterall, you are reading what's on the screen...

Besides, what's the big deal, with that word?

TheEschaton
05-17-2004, 01:41 PM
And there IS a newspaper in town, it's not like they've no idea what to print means.

Maybe not printing presses, but the art of making prints is pretty old.

-TheE-

Anebriated
05-17-2004, 01:44 PM
It would be one thing if only the person who does it sees it, but it doesnt seem right to me where in a game that we are supposed to be 'talking' instead of 'typing' and 'listening' instead of 'reading' that they would put unprintables, would it be that hard to change it to unmentionables? even something else, I dont care but if Simu is going to ask you to stick with one way of looking at the game then keep it that way. Don't code the damn game against what you are preaching.

AnticorRifling
05-17-2004, 02:53 PM
You would rather see

"..... mumbles something better left unheard."

I agree with you on that but I can't say as I ever noticed it enough to bother me. Bug it and see what happens.

Wezas
05-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
You would rather see

"..... mumbles something better left unheard."

Perhaps "unmentionables", but people might take that the wrong way.

CrystalTears
05-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Isn't this being a tad picky?

05-17-2004, 05:41 PM
Wasn't there a picker who used to improvise being "mute" and would excercise actions like spelling words in the ground with a stick? What is he supposed to mutter?

CrystalTears
05-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Mutes can mutter, it just won't be anything intelligible.

Edaarin
05-17-2004, 05:52 PM
No, that was Nospeak who used to come to get boxes picked and drew in the dirt (EVEN THOUGH THERES NO DIRt IN THE TOWER).

It got on my fucking nerves.

Galleazzo
05-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Unmentionables don't mean cursing, it means undies.

Artha
05-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Dude...your character hears the words. YOU the player see the text. You don't hear him say "Unprintables." You hear him say "Fucking stupid piece of shit locksmith. I'm going to skin that bastard alive. Fuckingfuckingfucking."

TheEschaton
05-17-2004, 08:10 PM
No, that was Nospeak who used to come to get boxes picked and drew in the dirt (EVEN THOUGH THERES NO DIRt IN THE TOWER).

It got on my fucking nerves.

Heh, just like we used to forage for TWIGS to disarm jaws traps, back in the days before tool kits. That always pissed me off. Twigs? In the Tower? Let alone my private table in the inn?

-TheE-

imported_Kranar
05-17-2004, 09:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with this. There are two layers of interpretation in any roleplaying game; what your character interprets and what you the player interprets. All game output displayed to the client must be interpreted at the player level, so the term unprintables is fine since it simply means something was mumbled that can not be printed out to you. Then you as a player have to reinterpret this for your character.

The same goes for game mechanics like AS and CS. The game outputs information that you the player interprets, which involves numbers, equations, so on so forth, and then you reinterpret that information for your character and have your character react accordingly.

FinisWolf
05-18-2004, 05:36 AM
I see good arguements on both sides actually. And both agruements to me are correct.

Finiswolf