PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Technical Help

Slider
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I am in need of some help from the more technically enclined folks out there. I have 2 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video cards installed on my system but for some reason the cooling fan speed on the two cards is way off.

The first fan runs at about 2900 rpm give or take a bit, and has a GPU core temp of about 50 degrees celsius. Even when running something graphics intensive (like Fallout NV, or Dragon Age 2) it rarely goes above 54 degrees.

The second card has a fan speed of about 700-800 rpm, and typically runs AT LEAST 15-20 degrees hotter, which I am going to assume is a bad thing.

But for the life of me I cannot find out how to adjust the fan speeds, or why there is such a huge difference in fan speed between the 2 cards. So does anyone out there know how to adjust the fan speed of the second card so it doesn't burn to a crisp?

g++
06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Fan speed should be a built in thing in the drivers no? Try looking around for the nvidia control panel and see if you can adjust the fan speed on your hot card. As long as the drivers are installed correctly this should be like a slide bar fix I think? Im not familiar with the particular card but I would be suprised if its not.

By the way 70 degrees is not hot.

Deadelf
06-04-2011, 03:18 AM
Nvidia has a software package that controls their 2 cards operating in tandem which they call SLI. ATI's version is Crossfire and that's what I'm familiar with. You should have an ability to check and set the fan speeds for both with Nvidia's software.

As G++ points out, 70 is not hot. My last two cards were running upwards of 109 before I replaced them with the new card. The card stays a nice and cool 60 to 80 which pleases me. Even have software that displays this info in my G15 keyboards LCD display. GPU temp, GPU usage %, Fan speed %, Core Clock Mhz, Memory clock Mhz and Framrate(Fps).

You could reseat both cards, or swap them to see what that does btw. Check your cables and maybe a fan is going out. If I recall the Nvidia 8800 GT is a couple years old now, isn't? So it is possible that one of the fans is going bad.

Bobmuhthol
06-04-2011, 08:14 AM
My last two cards were running upwards of 109 before I replaced them with the new card.

You seriously let your video cards go above water's boiling point? You have balls of steel.

Deadelf
06-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Honestly I wasn't happy about it, my choice of video cards last year was flat out stupid. I should have done more research and I regretted it for a year and finally had enough of keep an eye ball on the damn temps on the card and just replaced em both.

Should haven't let myself fall behind the tech curve on what I knew and what I didn't know. The cards would run in the 60s to 80s but as soon as I logged into WoW, AoC or LotRO it would leap up to 100 and roam in the 100 to 109 area.

Drove me fucking batty, and more so because the video performance was sub par. Every review I read on that card was negative after the fact. lol. The new card is quite sweet, I just wish I had room in the case to throw in a second card in six months to a year. Just to keep towards the top end of video performance as newer stuff comes out.