PDA

View Full Version : bad RP rogues

05-15-2004, 03:11 AM
i can't stand rogues who pick in populated areas boasting about how they just opened a -111000020 orgasmically complicated lock. Sometimes they do it in guild speak, but what the thief lingo would be speaking in rogue guildspeak, not seeing that the -303-2 lock was within your abilities. Cut out this number business, there's too many of them already and it's in bad taste. Someone in the tower today even was so gutsy as to happily exclaim in common "-100 rod trap!"
I don't mind if you mumble or mutter "springs" but i can't stand pickers who disarm them and XXXXxx mutters, "RT." What is that garbage, RT doesn't even have a vowel in it, it wouldn't even sound like a word if pronounciated in english.

Seriously though, for the straight-up picker type who just sits on their butt with accept, pick, etc macros, would it be so hard for them to say something like "looks like a moderately difficult lock."

anyway. . . ...

Nieninque
05-15-2004, 04:43 AM
I love how you and Omens have suddenly become the "RP Gurus"
:lol:

Xcalibur
05-15-2004, 05:27 AM
So says the 10 years old wood elf.

:blush:

You know what would help prevent that, man? report, report report.

Soon enough, they'll do somethings.

05-15-2004, 06:50 AM
I love how you and Omens have suddenly become the "RP Gurus"

That old post you mocked.. way back when.. will probably be maybe one of two examples of me being OOC. It's not as much as some kind of uneducated slip-up as it is just an "i don't give a fuck statement."

I always RP, and I RP well. When I don't feel like it, I don't have to. I have been using moderate constraint since that previous incident not to OOC infront of those I don't know. I realize that 'making statements' is basically for hippies and liberals, I'm not into that kind of stuff. Personally, I can give you my word that I haven't been, since then, and will not OOC publicly infront of those I do not know well enough. I think getting attacked randomly slows the RP hemisphere of the brain and stimulates some kind of OOC dopamine response. Fortunately, since I left that cesspool, I haven't had anybody attacking me except the critters, but manage to off it with some kind of cheesy RP like, "May Lorminstra welcome you ate the Gates," or "You have been released."

I dunno, PvP completely destroys RP mechanisms, for me anyway. I won't sit in the East Tower and begin to make detailed and ellaborate threats with an accent and hyphenated words towards someone who has stolen from me, because the time that it takes to muster the brainjuice for a good "angry-type" RP, you're getting fucked in the ass all the meanwhile.

CrystalTears
05-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Pickers (since not just rogues pick and not all rogues pick) being able to say the trap and lock numbers outload as being IC has been a controversial topic for a long time.

Many state that skilled pickers should be able to pinpoint the degree of difficulty of a trap/lock so they should be able to state them. Some say them in guild to keep that number to themselves, some don't state them at all. That's one of those fine lines that I don't mind being said outloud.

What I do mind are pickers who mention the level of the character they pick for, or doing stupid shit like: Picker says, "<---- open for picking". That REALLY annoys me.

05-15-2004, 10:16 AM
isn't it impossible now to make speech verbs and thoughts that begin with weird symbols? I tried to do a psychic "grin" with greater than/less than signs around it (perhaps that is OOC in itself?) and it completely removed the icons from my thought.

I don't want to have the thoughts of my mind sounding "grin" but at the same time, I don't really understand if there's a concept of mental telepathy that would allow someone to actually decipher an emotion on the amunet?

And thinking something to the effect of "I am grinning," or "heh, that makes me grin," is kind of cheesy?

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Hey, if you want to pretend you can't understand wtf they're talking about, go right ahead, but plenty of people don't. I'm going to continue to say the numbers if asked or if it's an exceedingly larger number than expected.

<<What I do mind are pickers who mention the level of the character they pick for, or doing stupid shit like: Picker says, "<---- open for picking". That REALLY annoys me.>>

I don't say I'm open very often, but when I do it's, "Open for Stronghold down" so I win.

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2004, 10:18 AM
<<I tried to do a psychic "grin" with greater than/less than signs around it (perhaps that is OOC in itself?) and it completely removed the icons from my thought.>>

You can't use <> in any command, it will be erased.

Artha
05-15-2004, 10:21 AM
I tried to do a psychic "grin" with greater than/less than signs around it (perhaps that is OOC in itself?)

Yes.

05-15-2004, 10:29 AM
And on that note, semicolon usage has been butchered but still has more life to it than <> some life to it.

>'blargh! ::smile::
You clearly say, "Blargh! ."

>":smile:
Why the heck would you want to say that?

>'hello :g:
You clearly say, "Hello :g:"

>think :g:
You focus on projecting your thoughts...
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

[You (muted)] ":g:"

>think ::wioepqowiepqoiew::
You focus on projecting your thoughts...
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

[You (muted)] "::opw[qeo[::"

edited because emoticons are a tool of satan.

[Edited on 5-15-2004 by Stanley Burrell]

CrystalTears
05-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Considering that no one can hear you grin, putting grins and facial expressions on a thought net is rather nonsensical.

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2004, 10:31 AM
That's because colons are used with the SAY command, and not THINK. Also, you did not use a semicolon in that entire log.

05-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Thank you professor.

Galleazzo
05-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
I love how you and Omens have suddenly become the "RP Gurus"Call a spade a spade. When Shark Boy's being a dick, call him a dick. When he talks good sense, got to give him props.

Parkbandit
05-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell

I always RP, and I RP well. When I don't feel like it, I don't have to.

Actually... roleplaying isn't defined as when you want to.

You either roleplay or you do not roleplay. It's being consistant that determines whether you roleplay or not.. not your desire to.

Dumbass.

05-17-2004, 06:39 AM
holy crap!

What happened to you man? Your flame-response reaction time to my posts have increased dramatically. I mean, I expected you to respond in a timely fashion, but 35 hours and 23 minutes? Geez...

Falgrin, you disappoint me.

Parkbandit
05-17-2004, 08:13 AM
And you couldn't possibly dissapoint me, because my expectations of you are zero.

The only "flame" from me was calling you dumbass.. and considering the way you are.. I expect that it's almost a compliment for you.

It's too bad you chose to concentrate all your intellectual resources on one word though.. because you missed my point.

Soulpieced
05-17-2004, 08:47 AM
One thing I've learned in a long time of picking is that most picking rogues are stupid or idiots. The ones that go pick in the park are even worse, because they're the ones dumb enough to set off traps accidentally.

05-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Okay, so let's focus on the point. Consistency you say? You honestly think that there is ANYONE who RP's with perfection 100% of the time IG? If you believe that, than you truly are a dumbass.

Parkbandit
05-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
One thing I've learned in a long time of picking is that most picking rogues are stupid or idiots. The ones that go pick in the park are even worse, because they're the ones dumb enough to set off traps accidentally.

Oh Soupie.. that MUST be directed towards me... because Falgrin picks in the park whenever he desires.

And I've YET to blow anyone up.

I look at the trap.. you will never blow up the trap on the first attempt.. so it's safe to look at it. If it's a bad trap that can cause people around Falgrin to die.. he goes elsewhere to do it. His "Patrons" are never ever in danger.

You risk Soupie's life everyday when you are in the tower. I've died more times there than in the park due to other rogues blowing crap up.

Parkbandit
05-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Okay, so let's focus on the point. Consistency you say? You honestly think that there is ANYONE who RP's with perfection 100% of the time IG? If you believe that, than you truly are a dumbass.

There is a difference between roleplaying to perfection all the time and roleplaying when you want to and not when you want to. It's my opinion that you have a responsibility to conduct your character within the confines of the game whenever you are in front of other players.

Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone slips now and then.. to me it's the player's intent that determines if they are roleplaying or not.

Being completely OOC in front of others is NOT roleplaying Hammerrhead... in case you were confused.

05-17-2004, 09:22 AM
Which is why I have promptly cut that shit out.

And in light of this thread, I think some slips are definately more preventable than others. A mixed up "yo" to your highlighted buddy as opposed to a picker who just killed themselves on a scale, waits a few seconds for it to kick in, and then says some shit like, "damn -420 scales," strikes me as less scrutable as a justifiable "slip."

CrystalTears
05-17-2004, 09:34 AM
The yo would be more unacceptable than the exclamation of the trap number. One is OOG and one is not. The slip is more understandable in the second one.

Nieninque
05-17-2004, 01:24 PM

Classy...a reformed pillock ;)

[Edited on 17-5-04 by Nieninque]

Parkbandit
05-17-2004, 03:26 PM

WTF is a pillock?

And I would rather have someone who has learned his lesson and conformed to the game rules than someone to say "If you don't like it, tough.. you can't make me follow the rules".

And for that..

Stanley Burrell > Nieninque

Tisket
05-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

WTF is a pillock?

And I would rather have someone who has learned his lesson and conformed to the game rules than someone to say "If you don't like it, tough.. you can't make me follow the rules".

And for that..

Don't forget that Stanley also has the ability to let things go. So yes, Stanley > Nieninque.

05-17-2004, 05:36 PM

I need to seriously clean off my compy screen or find a good medication to stop what appears to be a psychotic hallucination.

Parkbandit
05-18-2004, 08:10 AM

I need to seriously clean off my compy screen or find a good medication to stop what appears to be a psychotic hallucination.

Its like saying fleas are better than ticks.. because ticks burrow under your skin and can cause infections.. while frea bites itch like hell.

Don't read too much into it Stanley.. you're still an ass.

05-18-2004, 08:58 AM
I've never had ticks or fleas, but coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.

Nieninque
05-18-2004, 06:00 PM

WTF is a pillock?

And if everyone said "I wont do anything that is outside the rules" we would still be living in caves and painting in blood on the walls.

Parkbandit
05-18-2004, 06:12 PM

And if everyone said "I wont do anything that is outside the rules" we would still be living in caves and painting in blood on the walls.

If we were actually talking about life.. I'd say you have a point. Instead, we are talking about a game that already has rules... rules for a reason. Gee.. next time I play Monopoly.. I'm going to take $500 dollars from the player to my left.. because I don't want to stay in caves and paint with blood.

And for being a dumb bitch and not realizing how stupid you are... you get my First Annual Dumb Shit Award.

Congratulations... really.

Warriorbird
05-19-2004, 11:01 AM
Being OOC is different from being annoying as hell, not very realistically RPed, and a wanton policy violator. All are less than desireable though.

When Rogues got to me too much I just sort've mostly quit picking up any treasure I couldn't deal with myself. When annoying people get to me too much, I move to Solhaven for a while. When self-righteous yet boring Havenites get to me I move back to the Landing again.

[Edited on 5-19-2004 by Warriorbird]

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-19-2004, 11:27 AM
WTF? Who said I couldn't leave the cave and that I could only paint in blood? Who's rule was that?

DeV
05-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
Being OOC is different from being annoying as hell So much truth in those words..

Nieninque
05-19-2004, 01:40 PM

If we were actually talking about life.. I'd say you have a point. Instead, we are talking about a game that already has rules... rules for a reason. Gee.. next time I play Monopoly.. I'm going to take $500 dollars from the player to my left.. because I don't want to stay in caves and paint with blood.

All games have rules...most for a reason, some just because that is the way the game has worked out. For instance, football (soccer to you). Has long since had rules that were fairly universally accepted...i.e: you kick the ball and cant handle it.

One day, a chap in Rugby in England decided he would pick the ball up and run with it, and so was born a new game. And there was much rejoicing amongst those who would become rugby players. And amongst the anal rule-followers there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth...at the end of the day, who gives a fuck. Those that liked picking the ball up, played rugby, those that didnt, stuck with football...those that couldnt decide became goalkeepers.

A football player that keeps picking the ball up would be a problem, because they would spoil the game for others. A football player that decided they would make their own way of playing and did so with their friends, did no harm to anyone and was able to play the game their own way. Everyone was happy. Thats real life. In GS, Snowy has never interacted with Falgrin and in the main hangs out with friends, so she has not impacted on your game at all. Get over it.

Youre beginning to sound like X

CrystalTears
05-19-2004, 02:02 PM
I hate when people use the debate of "I haven't interacted with you, you're not allowed to form an opinion of how I do something". I don't have to meet anyone to form an opinion, only hear enough information from other sources. I won't push you aside and I'll take into consideration the other point of view as well, but I'll have that other information in the back of my mind.

Like I say quite a bit, I don't have to meet Osama to know that he's a dick, so I don't have to meet the 10-year-old to know that she doesn't behave like one.

Anyway, there's a difference between playing football casually with friends where you can make up your own rules, and playing a professional game. I'm sure that if someone in that game decided to play it his way, he'd piss off all the players and viewers.

[Edited on 5/19/2004 by CrystalTears]

Parkbandit
05-19-2004, 06:36 PM

All games have rules...most for a reason, some just because that is the way the game has worked out. For instance, football (soccer to you). Has long since had rules that were fairly universally accepted...i.e: you kick the ball and cant handle it.

One day, a chap in Rugby in England decided he would pick the ball up and run with it, and so was born a new game. And there was much rejoicing amongst those who would become rugby players. And amongst the anal rule-followers there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth...at the end of the day, who gives a fuck. Those that liked picking the ball up, played rugby, those that didnt, stuck with football...those that couldnt decide became goalkeepers.

A football player that keeps picking the ball up would be a problem, because they would spoil the game for others. A football player that decided they would make their own way of playing and did so with their friends, did no harm to anyone and was able to play the game their own way. Everyone was happy. Thats real life.

Wow.. great point. I never thought about it like that before.

Oh wait.. it made no sense because YOU ARE STILL PLAYING THE FUCKING SAME GAME. If you changed the rules of Gemstone IV and decided to start your own online roleplaying game with new rules.. hey.. you would actually HAVE a point. But you are not.. you are playing the same game with the same rules. Like I said before.. it's like we were playing Monopoly and you decided to give the player with the racecar an extra $200.. "Just because you felt like it" with no regard to the other players in the game.

In GS, Snowy has never interacted with Falgrin and in the main hangs out with friends, so she has not impacted on your game at all. Get over it.

Youre beginning to sound like X

What irritates me the most is not how Snowy is played or not.. it's the player behind the character that is completely incapable of simple understanding. You are absolutely right.. Falgrin has never roleplayed with you. That doesn't mean I cannot tell that you are breaking the rules of the game by your own admission.

Nieninque
05-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I hate when people use the debate of "I haven't interacted with you, you're not allowed to form an opinion of how I do something".

Thats not what Im saying. My whole point about Snowy and Falgrin not interacting was that my RP of snowy in no way detracts from his enjoyment of the game so he should stop worrying about how I play her and get on with his own game. If I was constantly bugging him, I could understand it, but I dont so I cant.

Like I say quite a bit, I don't have to meet Osama to know that he's a dick, so I don't have to meet the 10-year-old to know that she doesn't behave like one. You have to see how she behaves to "know" anything about how she behaves. To state otherwise is arrogant and just plain wrong.

Anyway, there's a difference between playing football casually with friends where you can make up your own rules, and playing a professional game. I'm sure that if someone in that game decided to play it his way, he'd piss off all the players and viewers.

[Edited on 5/19/2004 by CrystalTears] which is entirely the point I made.

Nieninque
05-20-2004, 06:16 AM

Oh wait.. it made no sense because YOU ARE STILL PLAYING THE FUCKING SAME GAME.
Yep. A roleplaying game. And I roleplay. Dont like how I roleplay? Thats fine. Suck it up.

If you changed the rules of Gemstone IV and decided to start your own online roleplaying game with new rules.. hey.. you would actually HAVE a point. But you are not.. you are playing the same game with the same rules.

See I pay to play the game, therefore as long as what I do doesnt detract from other people's enjoyment of the game, I can do what the fuck I like. GM's are more than aware of how I play snowy and couldnt give a flying fuck. Why is it such a big deal for you?

Like I said before.. it's like we were playing Monopoly and you decided to give the player with the racecar an extra $200.. "Just because you felt like it" with no regard to the other players in the game.

Nice analogy. Doesnt follow. I am getting no advantage by the way I RP snowy. I am giving no advantage to anyone else by the way I roleplay her. If your analogy said the Racecar is actually a skoda, that would be nearer the mark. Again, it makes no difference to other people in the game.

What irritates me the most is not how Snowy is played or not.. it's the player behind the character that is completely incapable of simple understanding.

I understand very well thank you.
I just dont agree.

You are absolutely right.. Falgrin has never roleplayed with you. That doesn't mean I cannot tell that you are breaking the rules of the game by your own admission.

Snowy hasnt PRed with Falgrin, but at least two of my other characters have, quite meaningfully. Please dont make judgements about my ability based on your personal feelings about the way I play Snowy.

And as far as rules go, I have seen no rules that say I have to play within specific age bands, therefore I am not breaking any.

I know you dont like it. I respect that. I just dont agree with the points you make.

CrystalTears
05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
See I pay to play the game, therefore as long as what I do doesnt detract from other people's enjoyment of the game, I can do what the fuck I like. GM's are more than aware of how I play snowy and couldnt give a flying fuck. Why is it such a big deal for you?

How do you know it doesn't detract people's enjoyment of the game? Because the GM's don't do anything? They'll NEVER EVER do anything to someone for inconsistant or unrealistic roleplay unless you were yelling out a Britney Spears song in the middle of town, and even then it's not guaranteed they'll care.

It's attitudes like yours that say "it doesn't say anywhere that I CAN'T do it" which disrupts the flow of the roleplaying and makes people like myself quit.

Yes, knowing there are people playing 10-year-olds, immortals, futuristic imbeciles, wolves, fairies, pixies, roltons, kobolds, wagging tails, flying brooms and the like, made me lose interest in the game.

Even with all the fine roleplaying that I saw, running into one of these on practically a daily basis killed it for me. And the more time passed, the more I saw it and it was irritating because God forbid you tell them that they're being OOG. "I'm paying as much as you, I should be able to play any old way I want so sod off!" Yeah well, your money isn't better than mine so I have as much right to say that your choice for that particular character is enough to jar someone's roleplay.

Nieninque
05-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Then it couldnt have been much fun for you in the first place, if knowing that someone you have never encountered, was playing in a way that didnt directly affect you or anyone else, though you havent seen it for yourself, only heard it, caused you to leave the game. Either that or you are overly sensitive and very fickle.

CrystalTears
05-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Apparently you didn't read where I said that I ran into that kind of shit nearly everyday. What started out as a casual thing that I wasn't bothered with and could easily ignore for weeks or months at a time starting becoming a regular routine.

I didn't run into you personally, but into others just like you who try playing children or whatever else they fancy at the time. Forgive me but that doesn't fly with me. That's not the kind of environment I wish to roleplay in.

Yeah I'm so sensitive that it took 7 years of me putting up with it in hopes of change for me to say screw it and leave. Yeah real fickle. :rolleyes:

Nieninque
05-20-2004, 10:24 AM
:violin:

CrystalTears
05-20-2004, 10:27 AM
See what I mean?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-20-2004, 10:32 AM
The only person who says she is a good roleplayer, is her. She also resorts to out of context realworld "examples" to try to justify her "roleplay". Just give up, it's clear she's not changing her mind, and will continue playing "outside the rules".

Eventually she'll burn out like Warclaidhm, X, Stray, Haashek, Vif and all the others, and the game will be better for it.

Xcalibur
05-20-2004, 10:46 AM
She's saying those sentences some piss girls were saying when we were all younger:

YOU'RE DEAD OTHERWISE I WILL STOP PLAYING.

Keep your illogical impossible 10 years old wood elf (7 in human).

Suppa, I did not burn out, I used my intelligence to have less problems:bleh:

Nieninque
05-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
The only person who says she is a good roleplayer, is her.

That would be a lie.
Show me where I have ever called myself a good roleplayer?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Oh, let me clarify. The only person defending her "roleplay" is you. Everyone else calls it like it is.

Nieninque
05-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
Oh, let me clarify. The only person defending her "roleplay" is you. Everyone else calls it like it is.

Not true either.
Everyone else got bored with this fucking stupid argument long ago.

This is the fourth time it has been raised.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
05-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Maybe you should take a hint?

Parkbandit
05-20-2004, 01:42 PM
I'll simply stick with the following formula and use your own posts to prove that it is in fact true.

Thank you.