PDA

View Full Version : Troy

Edaarin
05-14-2004, 11:13 PM
They killed a classic. Ugh.

Lord Whirlin
05-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Agreed. God Awful movie.
The script was written to the point where you could guess exactly what the next line was going to be, and lets face it, Orlando Bloom is not an actor. He has 2 faces: Normal, and confused/puzzled/non-normal. He has about as much acting ability as Keanu Reeves. Ohh, and I'm glad to see he's in a different role for once. Ohh wait, no, he still picks up a bow and arrow, because lets face it, he's never going to step out of that appearance.
Moving on. The costumes? I think they just took a couple sheets and tie-dyed them with a little bit of blue. Next time I wear a tie-dye shirt, I'm gonna have to comment to anyone that's seen the movie, "Hey, look at me, according to Hollywood, I'm in Trojan garb"

Awful

05-14-2004, 11:42 PM
The movie PWN'd. Simple as that.

- Arkans

Souzy
05-15-2004, 12:11 AM
My girl said it was good. She also said that Orlando Bloom was better in LOTR. But she liked it. I'm going sometime next week to catch it.

GSLeloo
05-15-2004, 12:12 AM
How could any movie with Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom be bad?

Now refresh me on the story, I know it's a greek tragedy so... do Helen and Paris die?

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2004, 12:17 AM
<<How could any movie with Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom be bad?>>

Because they're terrible actors, except one movie each.

The Korean
05-15-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol

no, they're just bad actors, period. they just happened to be in the right movie at the right time.

Kuyuk
05-15-2004, 12:22 AM

-Bob

I like Pitt in a few movies; Ocean's Eleven, Fight Club and Meet Joe Black.

K.

ThisOtherKingdom
05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Brad Pitt can act:

Snatch
Sleepers
Fight Club
Seven
Legends of the Fall
Interview with a Vampire

I really liked Troy, it wasn't perfect, but it was worth the price of admission.

Sean
05-15-2004, 12:28 AM
Seven.

05-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Brad Pitt is generally a very good actor. No complaints here. He's been good in too many movies to just say he got "lucky" with a role.

- Arkans

05-15-2004, 02:51 AM
Absolutely, the movie rocked, it just too bad he had to go out the way he did.

longshot
05-15-2004, 05:43 AM
Haven't seen it yet...

but I take offense to the Brad Pitt not being able to act statement.

Bob, are you kidding me?

You know, he did star in a few movies before you got internet access...

Skirmisher
05-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Yep. Hate Brad Pitt all you want for being talented and handsome, but you cannot say he is a bad actor.

I went through my own "god I'm sick and tired of hearing how great and how beautiful he is etc..." period, but in the end, it seems he just is.

What are you going to do, at least he doesn't seem to go for the drama diva shtick.

Troy I hope to be in error on, but going by the trailers I was not impressed. It looks to me like some people may have gambled on hopping on the mythic grandiose huge battles ala LOTR bandwagon without having a good enough plan.:medieval:

Drew2
05-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Skirmisher
Yep. Hate Brad Pitt all you want for being talented and handsome...

Why is that reason to hate him?????????

I very much do not hate him. Nope.

DianaBanana
05-15-2004, 09:57 AM
I love mythology and I love Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom. :drool: If this movie sucks, well at least I had eye candy for 2 hours and 45 minutes. :D

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2004, 10:10 AM
<<it just too bad he had to go out the way he did.>>

He was Achilles.. did you expect something different?

And I'll change my opinion, just for you people. Brad Pitt is not a terrible actor, but there are so many more that are better than him.

CrystalTears
05-15-2004, 10:32 AM
There's always someone better, but that doesn't disqualify him from being a good actor.

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2004, 10:34 AM
He's not good, though.

CrystalTears
05-15-2004, 10:35 AM
In your opinion. :P

TheEschaton
05-15-2004, 11:01 AM
They butchered the whole story, by taking the mythology aspect out of it. There's no gods in Troy, apparently they didn't want to "bring that issue up" (what issue? Gods in a movie about Ancient Greece? Do you seriously think the CHristian audiences would be offended by the Greek Gods in the movie?). So, in essence, it's just whittled down to a bunch of superficial assholes who just fight a whole war for one superficial bitch.

-TheE-

Bobmuhthol
05-15-2004, 11:04 AM
<<So, in essence, it's just whittled down to a bunch of superficial assholes who just fight a whole war for one superficial bitch.>>

:thumbsup:

Edaarin
05-15-2004, 12:25 PM
There was a good critique on it by Tom Shales (I think it was Shales) in the Washington Post. Homer tailored the story towards his audience (back then, that meant throwing in divine intervention and all that). The producers tailored the story to their modern day gods (i.e., teenagers who have no appreciation for Classics), so in the end that's what we should have expected going into the movie.

It was watchable. I wouldn't sit through it again. They could have done a much better job casting Helen. They also butchered the story a lot more than they should have. Great idea, send the losers to Rome, even though IT WASN'T FOUNDED YET JACKASSES.

DianaBanana
05-15-2004, 02:45 PM
This movie is starting to sound crappier with each post I read. :down:

Latrinsorm
05-15-2004, 07:25 PM
I saw it, it was good. Not Lethal Weapon II or Knocking on Heaven's Door, but good.
Originally posted by Edaarin
Great idea, send the losers to RomeI remember him saying follow the river to some Mountain. When was Rome mentioned?

Torrie Wilson should have been Helen, because there's no one hotter. Otherwise, kewl movie.

Artha
05-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Better Helen = Jennifer Connelly.

DianaBanana
05-15-2004, 08:18 PM
Why do they always make Helen blond? Greek people tend to be dark haired with olive skin tone. Bah to Hollywood.

Edaarin
05-15-2004, 08:39 PM
...because she's golden haired in Homer's Iliad, silly...

DianaBanana
05-15-2004, 08:41 PM
...because she's golden haired in Homer's Iliad, silly...

She is? Shit, I gotta go back and read that. :!:

05-15-2004, 08:55 PM
YOU GOT SERVED

DianaBanana
05-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by RangerD1
YOU GOT SERVED

:stfu:

Mistomeer
05-15-2004, 09:04 PM
For the record, 12 Monkeys is Brad Pitt's best acting job. Also, he's a pretty good actor. He's much better than Tom Hanks, and look how many Oscars Hanks has.

Also, it's all irrelevant as Sean will tell you that not only is he a better actor than Pitt but also he can get more women.

[Edited on 5-16-2004 by Mistomeer]

Sean
05-16-2004, 01:49 AM
I liked Troy but I didn't go looking for it to fullfill all the mythical aspects of the story. For what it was I thought it was cool and well done. Bloom as usual was a pussy though. But Pitt was fairly bad ass with his fighting style. Helen's actress definitly isn't hot enough to be the fact that launched a 1,000 ships and started a war. She's cute but not that hot. The other girl was cute too, Pelydora or whatever her name was, in a sort of Jessica Alba kinda way. Overall I'd say the movie is worth seeing and I'll probably grab the DVD when it comes out but I'm not sure how often I can sit through all 2 hours and 45 minutes of it.

Kuyuk
05-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Tom Hanks rocks.

WILSON!!!!!!!

K.

05-16-2004, 02:21 AM
For the record, 12 Monkeys is Brad Pitt's best acting job.

Mistomeer = genius.

Gilliam = genius director.

[Edited on 5-16-2004 by Stanley Burrell]

Myshel
05-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by DianaBanana
Why do they always make Helen blond? Greek people tend to be dark haired with olive skin tone. Bah to Hollywood.

Not true. The ancient greeks were fair haired and light skinned. They didn't become darker until the Turks occupied Greece for 500 years. I know many greeks that are blonde and light eyed, especially in northern Greece.

Jenisi
05-16-2004, 10:39 AM
I saw it last night and it wasn't too bad, I don't think I'd want to see it again enough to buy the DVD, but definatly worth seeing. I just liked the action scences and there were alot of man to man fights in it, so that was pretty cool and DAMN, Orlando and Brad were sexy as hell!!!!!

DCSL
05-16-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm a classics nut and even I didn't mind the movie too much. The soundtrack was passable, the acting was good (Eric Bana as Hector BLEW ME AWAY!!) and the changes they had to make to the story were, although perhaps not necessary, were acceptable.

They didn't call the movie The Illiad. You know why? Because it's not The Illiad. It was a movie about the fall of Troy. They certainly referenced the hell out of Homer's Illiad, but that's not the only source we have for what happened at Troy. You can't go into the movie expecting it to be filled with gods and mythological happenings, when they're trying to be say what could have happened realisitically. As opposed to various acts being attributed to meddling gods after the fact, I mean.

As for Orlando Bloom being a wussy.. well.. I have to say that if you all thought he was a wussy in this movie, then I think he did a good job. Paris IS a wussy, people. He chooses the coward's weapons, bow and arrow, and generally acts like a mama's boy. That's Paris' character. Whether Orlando Bloom shares it, I don't know, but he did a good job playing a wussy.

About Helen's beauty... people are always going to disagree about what's beautiful. I, personally, LOVED her eyes. I've never seen eyes like that. They looked like antique sea glass to me. And I thought they made it pretty clear that the war was NOT being fought over Helen. The Trojans could have thrown Helen off the walls and it wouldn't have mattered.

Ancient Greeks, except for a few, like the Spartans and the Gortyns, did not believe women mattered. Athenians in particular believed that women should not only not be heard, but not be seen too. The war started (it seems) because one man stole something (it could have been a fork) from another man and made him look like a complete fool. The war continued from that premise because they wanted to crush Troy anyway. Helen never really mattered.

Ahem. My review. I can recite the first six lines of Chapman's translation of the Illiad by heart, making me a certifiable classics buff... and I *STILL* liked the movie. Go see Troy for what it is, not for The Illiad.

If you want to see historical inaccuracy and pulling-motivations-out-of-the-ass scriptwriting, go see the new King Arthur movie that's due out soon.

Sean
05-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Whether or not she mattered or the war was fought for her she is the "face" that launched 1,000 ships. She is the reason for the whole thing. I just think they could have gotten someone with a bit more appeal is all.

Hulkein
05-16-2004, 12:44 PM
What is the actresses name who played her? I want to see what she looks like.

Sean
05-16-2004, 12:53 PM
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/orlandobloom/galerie/film/troy/06.jpg

Diane Kruger

05-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Shes alright. But i agree, its like WOW OMG I'LL KILL JOO OVER HER

DCSL
05-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Well, like I said, no one's ever going to agree on standards of beauty. Her eyes made it for me, personally. I guess you're not much of an eye man? I bet lots of people thought she was 'teh hawt'.

Latrinsorm
05-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Tijay
The other girl was cute too, Pelydora or whatever her name was, in a sort of Jessica Alba kinda way.Hector's wife or his cousin? The wife was... exotic, to say the least. She cried too much to be cute, though.
Originally posted by DCSL
He chooses the coward's weapons, bow and arrow:stfu: Bloom made me want to punch him (a lot, with a knife) but a bow is not a coward's weapon.

CrystalTears
05-16-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Tijay
Whether or not she mattered or the war was fought for her she is the "face" that launched 1,000 ships. She is the reason for the whole thing. I just think they could have gotten someone with a bit more appeal is all.

I agree. She was just another beautiful blonde. Nothing extraordinary about her. Nothing to consider starting a war for.

The incredible acting and fabulous fight scenes made this movie. Something was lacking from the story. Too many pauses, too many silent moments. It was suffering from something. Even though it stayed to the story, it could have been better. I'd see it for Brad Pitt and Peter O'Toole's scene alone. That was f'ing brilliant acting!

Bobmuhthol
05-16-2004, 05:45 PM
<<She was just another beautiful blonde. Nothing extraordinary about her.>>

Bolded = right

Italicized = wrong

Ravenstorm
05-16-2004, 11:29 PM
I pretty much figured they'd be editing out the whole Achilles and Patroclus being lovers part of the story.

Raven

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by Ravenstorm]

Sean
05-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
I pretty much figured they'd be editing out the whole Achilles and Patroclus being lovers part of the story.

Raven

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by Ravenstorm]

But they didn't.

Drew2
05-16-2004, 11:41 PM
Guys making out? What? Where?

Are they hot?

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by Tayre]

Brad Pitt was Achilles?????

DO THEY MAKE OUT FOR REAL????

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by Tayre]

Sean
05-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Ha no I read it wrong. Hes right. I just wanted to tease tayre thats it.

Edaarin
05-17-2004, 12:00 AM
The worst part about that relationship in The Iliad is that they're cousins, too (either 2nd or 3rd)...

Satira
05-17-2004, 12:00 AM
I thought this movie was okay. It was completely worth it for the battle scenes.

Before it came out there was a lot of controversy over the casting of Helen. I don't know why they picked the bitch they did. I'm not saying she's unattractive, of course she is beautiful. Helen was a strong character and this girl just basically played a crying pouty looking chick. To me, the name Helen always brings to mind someone who is statuesque and dark haired, but I am aware she was portrayed in a lot of writings as blonde. They should have picked an actress who was able to bring more personality to the character.

Brad Pitt is probably my favorite actor and it isn't because of the way he looks. He did okay in this role, but it wasn't his BEST. I can't think of anyone else I would have cast in the role though.

Orlando Bloom never wins me over.

I thought the best acting part of the movie was Briseis, Achilles lover. Rose Byrne played the part and I was glad they casted someone interesting and different. Honorable mention to Hector, too.

DCSL
05-17-2004, 12:11 AM
I was disappointed that they made the priestess his lover and completely left out the part with Penthesilea and Achilles. But, ya' can't have everything.

Ravenstorm
05-17-2004, 02:13 AM
The worst part about that relationship in The Iliad is that they're cousins, too (either 2nd or 3rd)...

Keep in mind though that many of the heroes back then were distantly related in one way or another. Half of them had gods' as an ancestor (who were related to each other) or intermarried to form alliances. So they weren't particularly closely related.

Well, it's just a minor annoyance anyway since their relationship isn't really central to the story except in that it's why Achilles decided to get back involved in the war again and being cousins doesn't really cut it all things considered. But if they (a totally other 'they' unrelated to Troy) decide to butcher Alexander the Great and Hephaestion when it comes out, I will be well and trully pissed.

Raven

TheEschaton
05-17-2004, 09:13 AM
After reading the Iliad, Helen doesn't strike me as a strong character at all. If you want strength in a woman, look at Dido, in Virgil's Aenied (sp?). Helen was more passive than aggressive, she wallowed in her looks, and didn't know what she wanted.

-TheE-

Caiylania
05-17-2004, 09:58 AM
<<I'd see it for Brad Pitt and Peter O'Toole's scene alone. That was f'ing brilliant acting!>>

I can't wait to see the movie, it's coming out in english over here in a few days. I did see that clip on TV though and it was amazing, Brad said it was the moment he loved the most.

CrystalTears
05-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Because it was fucking brilliant and it had fucking Peter O'Toole!

Heh, halfway through I got a whisper, "Who is that?" and I say, "Peter O'Toole" and I get a reply of, "I thought so, but isn't he like 9000 years old?!"

05-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Who is pete o toole?

Parkbandit
05-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RangerD1
Who is pete o toole?

This guy: