PDA

View Full Version : Just a little bothersome

HouseofElves
05-14-2004, 04:19 PM
I really can't stand when a character says..

"Hello, Soandso, I don't think we've met"

Well then how do you know my name, jackass?

I can see how sometimes you need to know someone's name like...an example would be. I see someone pass me in a hunting ground, I go back to town and they bite it. I'm generally going to say(depending on the character) that they are down in a certain area.

But it really irks me when I'm trying to chill some place and someone who has been playing for a long time comes up to my character and greets them by their name when my character has never said their name. I realize people forget, or sometimes new players don't understand this. But then they try and cover up with "I'm a spy" or "magic"...please dude.

Chyrain
05-14-2004, 04:33 PM
it's impossible to always play the game that way. How on earth do you explain stranger rescues?

it happens, it's okay...it's a fantasy land anyway, maybe we're all just psycho...er psychic.

Gan
05-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by HouseofElves
I really can't stand when a character says..

"Hello, Soandso, I don't think we've met"

Since this is a text based game, pretend everyone's wearing little sticky nametags. It will make your gaming experience sooooo much more pleasant.

If you really want to be annoyed about something in the game, hang out in the park in WL for 5 minutes... there will be multiple opportunities to see gemstone roleplaying at its finest.

Jonty
05-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by HouseofElves

You're popular.

Hulkein
05-14-2004, 06:34 PM
YOU HAVE A FAME OF 210204320

Mistomeer
05-14-2004, 07:05 PM
I find it much more annoying to pretend that you don't know someone's name. In order for fantasy to exist, you have to suspend a certian amount of disbelief. If you wanted to be realistic, go ahead and say you don't know anyone's name, and then eat at least 3 times a day, stay logged in long enough for your character to sleep about 8 hours a day, and take on numerous other little things that get ignored.

Snapp
05-14-2004, 09:20 PM
I liked Soulp's explanation in another thread. That all the players are famous adventurers and that's how you know their names. There are other people in town, we just don't recognize them by name (such as the people who scream if you cast ewave, or set off a trap).

FinisWolf
05-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Snapp
I liked Soulp's explanation in another thread. That all the players are famous adventurers and that's how you know their names. There are other people in town, we just don't recognize them by name (such as the people who scream if you cast ewave, or set off a trap).

Yes, I like this idea as well, being lord, great lord etc. warrants an idea of what (PC Name Here) looks like, imagine the old west, the reknowned individuals were known by some degree to everyone, thus, you could pretend that in order for (PC name Here 2) already has an idea of what you look like and are able to deduce that you are who you are because they have an idea of who you are. Yes, I like that idea.

Finiswolf

SpunGirl
05-14-2004, 10:28 PM
I agree that the "spy" or "magic" explanations are lame. It would be better just to say, "I've heard many things about you, including vivid descriptions of your great beauty" (in Uniana's case, of course). Or maybe, "I've heard you smell really bad, and you certainly fit that description." Something like that.

-K

TheEschaton
05-14-2004, 10:30 PM
That's why I don't put up titles. Personally, I think directed speech is the best thing to come out in awhile, because it ALLOWS you to reference a person without knowing who they are.

But I agree, it's pretty much a suspension of disbelief issue. You can go around referencing everyone as "Hey you...yeah, you, the dark elf."

-TheE-

Jonty
05-14-2004, 10:56 PM
I, myself, try my best not to mention any names unless I've actually heard them in game. But I wouldn't get on anyone's case for mentioning my name even though I've never met 'em. I'll just assume they've heard of me somehow.

FinisWolf
05-14-2004, 11:29 PM
I also attempt to not say someones name, I do have my own exceptions, such as I know your name because I saw Orangepumpkin talking to you, but my catch to this is someone has to reference the persons name somehow. Its really hard at times though. I also agree that directed speech is a great thing.

I realized after re-reading my first post in this thread that it is confusing as hell!

What I was trying to say:

In old west times, not everyone had met say Billy the Kid, yet when they saw him in person (say at a saloon) they knew immediately who it was.

Yea, that sounds much better!

Finiswolf

Galleazzo
05-15-2004, 12:56 PM
What Ganalon said. Too many things to get worked up over that. Shit, I'd be happy if those tools stopped talking about their AS and their fucking trains.

Hulkein
05-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Snapp

That's what I was getting at with the 230101349 fame part.. Every character with a name is capable of pretty extraordinary acts as opposed to the goodwives who witness our murders.

FinisWolf
05-15-2004, 04:23 PM
Ganalon~

I wanted to say I dig that icon under your name! No Drama rocks!

Finiswolf

On Topic~

I think that for most of us that visit these boards, we are sick of the non-rp'ers. Numbers are not a part of the game we accept as RP, thats why most of the numbers have some interesting phrase like incredible trap, on and on.

Finiswolf