PDA

View Full Version : A thought.

Tsa`ah
08-27-2003, 02:33 PM
For those that wish Simutronics to change their advertising and stance to be "Adult-oriented", post a log (so long as it is ok with Caels) of the most detestable action.

This can be RP'd torture, rape, sex ... whatever.

These logs with be forwarded to Melissa and the ESRB.

For those that haven't seen anything as such... go hang around Vif for a few minutes.

If you think that Simu should remain "E" rated, post (intelligently) why and what things should be changed. Same goes for those seeking change.

Let's see what we can accomplish or at least agree on.

Artha
08-27-2003, 02:44 PM
If nothing else, giving Melissa your Vif logs might get Vif in trouble.

Parkbandit
08-27-2003, 04:32 PM
If you wish to change Gemstone into a different ESRB ranking.. you need to have every text type game changed.

The ranking is based upon the the actions of the players in the game and no amount of GMing will ever change that.

No Fucking way.

No Focking way.

No F()cking way.

No Fvcking way.

No F u cking way.

No Fuching way.

No F*ching way.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Just leave it as it is. I doubt Lisu was ejected from the game for all the crap that has been said here. More likely she was chased out by a bunch of timid, prudish geeks who haven't had their pipes cleaned in a good long time.

Tsa`ah
08-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by ParkbanditNo Fucking way.

No Focking way.

No F()cking way.

No Fvcking way.

No F u cking way.

No Fuching way.

No F*ching way.

My favorite ...

Phuk ewe
Phuc oph

But no, I would have to say that the rating would be changed due to the allowable content.

Language aside, as it has nothing to do with an adult vs family orientation. Sexual content can be prohibited in a family setting.

You're thinking text filtering. I'm thinking interactive mechanics such as latching doors, enforced squelching et al.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 04:40 PM
If you want to stop adult "stuff" going on in GS, you will be forcing away a good proportion of the population. I for one do not like my RP stifled by dumb rules.

Tsa`ah
08-27-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
If you want to stop adult "stuff" going on in GS, you will be forcing away a good proportion of the population. I for one do not like my RP stifled by dumb rules.

Not only do we have a comprehension problem, but also we have memory issues.

I refuse to cater to your deficiencies any longer.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, if you want it put up to Adult level, good. If you want it dumbed down, made safer, made more Disney, well its clear you should be playing another game as GS is sanitized enough already.

SpunGirl
08-27-2003, 05:37 PM
I'd vote for putting it up to adult level. Some pretty gritty things have happened to my character, all consented to beforehand of course, but I'm a grown-up. It makes for a more rich RP environment if horrible things happen every now and again that younger kids (I'm talking 15 and below) might not be able to handle.

-K

Bobmuhthol
08-27-2003, 05:41 PM
I can handle anything.

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 05:42 PM
Except strangers on ladders.

HarmNone
08-27-2003, 07:35 PM
I would like to see Simutronics take the "Letter to Parents" off the website, and stop advertising their game as "child-safe". It is not.

I no longer play GemStone3. The SNERT level finally rose beyond my ability to tolerate. However, if I did play, I would prefer to see the game targetted for adults over the age of eighteen. Even with that caveat, I would like to see controls in place to severely limit those who will push any premise to the outermost reaches of tolerance.

"Fuck you! You're GAY! You suxOr (or however one says such things)!" does absolutely nothing for my immersion in the fantasy world of Elanthia.

HarmNone

Back
08-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
I would like to see Simutronics take the "Letter to Parents" off the website, and stop advertising their game as "child-safe". It is not.

I no longer play GemStone3. The SNERT level finally rose beyond my ability to tolerate. However, if I did play, I would prefer to see the game targetted for adults over the age of eighteen. Even with that caveat, I would like to see controls in place to severely limit those who will push any premise to the outermost reaches of tolerance.

"Fuck you! You're GAY! You suxOr (or however one says such things)!" does absolutely nothing for my immersion in the fantasy world of Elanthia.

HarmNone

My sentiments exactly. In fact, the kids on Players Corner have been making me cry lately. I wish they would all leave me alone.

And that ESB rating or whatever is the biggest load of bull.

You swing a jagged-edged pale cerulean longsword at a krolvin mercenary!
AS: +175 vs DS: +70 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +100 = +244
... and hit for 90 points of damage!
Gruesome, slashing blow to the side of the krolvin mercenary's head!
Skull split open! Brain (and life) vanishes in a fine mist.
The krolvin mercenary falls to the ground and dies.
A krolvin mercenary no longer seems distracted.

[edited for a better example of the violence]

[Edited on 8-27-2003 by Backlash]

Drew2
08-27-2003, 07:45 PM
I never use the terms I use on the boards/chat in game. I can separate.

Bobmuhthol
08-27-2003, 07:46 PM
Okay, you guys want it to be an 18+ game? You're going to have to get through me. And if you do.. well.. I won't be playing GemStone.

Drew2
08-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Lucky us.

longshot
08-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Just leave it as it is. I doubt Lisu was ejected from the game for all the crap that has been said here. More likely she was chased out by a bunch of timid, prudish geeks who haven't had their pipes cleaned in a good long time.

Well put.

I agree with you.

Scott
08-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
Okay, you guys want it to be an 18+ game? You're going to have to get through me. And if you do.. well.. I won't be playing GemStone.

We HAVE to make it a 18+ game now.....

HarmNone
08-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Tayre
I never use the terms I use on the boards/chat in game. I can separate.

Perhaps. However, there seemed to be a very large number of players who could not make the distinction.

HarmNone

Caels
08-27-2003, 08:48 PM
I've heard that graphical games are at least ten times worse on the horrible speaking habits.

HarmNone
08-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Caels
I've heard that graphical games are at least ten times worse on the horrible speaking habits.

I have heard the same, Caels. I have not played a graphical game, as I like the ability to imagine things for myself rather than have the game do it for me.

HarmNone

StrayRogue
08-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Graphical MUDs are UBER OOC. RP is not as enforced as it is here (I am laughing as I type this).

Parkbandit
08-28-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah

My favorite ...

Phuk ewe
Phuc oph

But no, I would have to say that the rating would be changed due to the allowable content.

Language aside, as it has nothing to do with an adult vs family orientation. Sexual content can be prohibited in a family setting.

You're thinking text filtering. I'm thinking interactive mechanics such as latching doors, enforced squelching et al.

But my point is.. can it be done in a text based game? If so, how? A latching door does not an adult game make. It's not possible for the GMs to watch every room or every character every minute. It's not possible to employ language filters that will stop a player from typing out any message they want to.

Is there a text based roleplaying game out there you consider actually safe for people under 18? If so, how do they do it?

I agree with HarmNone when she says they should take down the Letter to Parents. I'm not sure how many parents actually read that letter... but it doesn't seem to be true.

Any text based platform is open for sexual content... it's impossible to stop it.

CrystalTears
08-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Simu is a big fat liar. They say that they safeguard the game to make it fitting for children, and at the same token they don't establish any parental controls and they don't have nearly the adequate staff size to be able to monitor every room in the game. Telling people not to swear or sell themselves on the net does not a family game make. That's like taking children bunging jumping, showing them the harnesses, cords and helmets saying they are safe, and then walking away hoping that they are protected. They don't even have a way to know if a children is in fact playing so they could watch them a little closer. They have nothing to protect children.

This isn't a family game, never has been, and I've heard of plenty of people who have left the game because they found that it was being sold as such. I think it's highly unfair to make people monitor themselves just in case there's a child playing.

Rate the game as for mature players, and if a child happens to be playing, that's his or his parents problem. They knew what it was and allowed it.

Terrorize
08-28-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Rate the game as for mature players, and if a child happens to be playing, that's his or his parents problem. They knew what it was and allowed it.

Yes, that is my biggest problem. The fact that it isn't rated how it should be. Also, I think that they need to enforce things like OOC talk more strictly, like get warned 3 times and your outta there. Then maybe we will be gone with all the Klaives, Lisu's and those who support them which I wont name <Cough cough : Strayrogue> of the world. It's a roleplaying game, not some chat room.

StrayRogue
08-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeah Terrorize, lets get a certificate/rating. Then we can lose limp wristed child retards who wouldn't know RP if it hit them in the face. Isn't that right, my limp wristed childish retard, eh Terrorize? Would your Mommy let you play?