PDA

View Full Version : Contest!

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 10:49 AM
What does Kharam-Dzu look like??

The Teras Isle Bureau of Tourisim is accepting artwork of the Isle and it's amazing city! It can be any "room" description!

Example:

[Dragonspine and Krodera]

The street widens into a circular plaza several hundred feet across. Dwarves and giantmen lounge on stone benches by a massive granite fountain in the center. The burbling of the waters, the low mumblings of the dwarves and the booming laughter of the giants somehow blend together into a vibrant harmony. You also see a regal black wolf, a rush lion that is sleeping, a red granite statue and a wooden table with some stuff on it.

Obvious paths: north, east, south, west

Rules
Submissions will be displayed at the website below and voted on by the officers of the DDR. By submitting your artwork you agree to the terms and conditions. Send your Gemstone name, text of the room description you used, artwork email, and AIM address (If available) to LadyGothique@COX.net
Prizes
1st place - 5 MILLION silvers!
2nd place 1 MILLION silvers!
3rd place 1 MILLION silvers!
Deadline Midnight, September 1, 2004
Winners will be notafied when judging is complete.

http://www.members.cox.net/afallofstardust/index.html

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by The Cat In The Hat]

Makkah
05-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Cool contest. Too bad I can't draw.

rht

PS: Someone draw the Asylum hidden room.

Nieninque
05-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Im gonna try, though can someone post some more room descriptions please? :blush:

Love that song in your sig Cat..:thumbsup:

Edited to ask, can you enter more than one time?

[Edited on 10-5-04 by Nieninque]

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks! I was actually told 5m was too much! Reguardless thats the first prize, and the deadlines so far away to acomidate all you lazy bastards! :whistle:

Anyway, have fun with it and do your best! it can be a computer art rendering or a scan done in pencil but im hopeing to get a ton of sumbissions, always wondered what that town would "look" like and since I cant draw... see.. I have my own motives here ROFLMAO

Have fun and enjoy!!

Cat

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks Nieninque!

It was directed at someone origonally (I cant spell!)

but now its just there

Le Chat Au Chapeau

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 11:38 AM
[i]Can you enter more than one time?

Yes, but they have to be different "room" descriptions.

Just be sure not to sacrafice quality for quantity. The only prize given out for sending in 15 pictures id the "way too much time on your nahds award :D

Cat

Hips
05-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Bob should submit some of his awesome artwork for this contest.

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Oh! Bob would win hands down.

Of course im not saying it would be one of the Prizes that Bob wins...

Cat

Artha
05-10-2004, 04:46 PM
I'll take the 5 million when you're ready to hand it over :)

http://forum.gsplayers.com/images/upload/Artha's%20non-spider%20gallery/205.jpg

Bobmuhthol
05-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Well, Artha wins. I was about to draw one out by hand and it would have looked about the same.

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 06:26 PM
HAAHAA! Thanks for the laugh!

You win ::hands you a shiney silver coin::

Cat

Artha
05-10-2004, 06:29 PM
As long as that's a silver coin that's magic and worth 1/5 million, I'm happy.

Nieninque
05-10-2004, 06:33 PM
:lol: @ Regal black wolf

FinisWolf
05-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Well, I will see what I can come up with, it might look good in my portfolio. Course I suck at art, but what the hell.

Finiswolf

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Nah, its a silver coin worth that calibur of work :roll:

Cat

Artha
05-10-2004, 09:51 PM
Right...so like 5 million?

The Cat In The Hat
05-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Uh.... sure...

Im not going to be the only judge though but you have my vote ROFL

Cat

[Edited on 5-11-2004 by The Cat In The Hat]

Artha
05-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Sweet. U2U me when we're done with the formalities and i'll come pick up the money.

peam
05-10-2004, 11:37 PM
http://forum.gsplayers.com/images/upload/PEAM'S%20PRETTY%20PICTURES!/210.jpg

Artha
05-10-2004, 11:38 PM
My regal black wolf > Peam's regal black wolf.

The Cat In The Hat
05-11-2004, 12:02 AM
You gotta e-mail them! You cant post them here ya fucking nerds.

Cat

PS Peam you forgot the bench, you lose to Artha

FinisWolf
05-11-2004, 05:14 AM
So, are we going for funny, or fantasy realism here? Thus far, all I have seen are funny. Enlighten me please.

Finiswolf

The Cat In The Hat
05-11-2004, 10:32 AM
You can go for whatever you want, *I* personally like realisim. I dont think these guys are serious about these being entrys. But, there's going to be 5 judges and whats Good for me might not be good for them -) We're looking more for a real picture. This contest comes from myself not being able to draw and wanting to see what the town "looks" like. So more realisim, but it can be a computer art rendering or a scan in pencil.

Cat

peam
05-11-2004, 10:54 AM
There's a bench midway up the left side.

The Cat In The Hat
05-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Haahaa!! That little thing?

But they're not sittin on it!

Entrys have to be e-mailed to LadyGothique@cox.net

Cat

FinisWolf
05-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Cat~

Can you post some or all of the room descs you are interested in "seeing"? I really don't want to go to Teras, there are presently some folks there, I would rather not be around thanks to their constant OOC. If not, I will get there eventually.

Finiswolf

The Cat In The Hat
05-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Well.... Im interested in anywhere really, if there's a description you want ill post it though. Suppose I could run around the whole town and post them all but Kranar would kill me because that would be a BIG post. Anything on the west side would be nice considering it's a very untraveled part of town. Gimme a few minutes and I'll post a couple few descriptions.

:cheers:

Cat

FinisWolf
05-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Awesome, thanks Cat!

Finiswolf

<-- whips out his copy of Lightwave and warms up Photoshop.

The Cat In The Hat
05-11-2004, 01:38 PM
[Copper Avenue, West Docks]
Clanging bells, steam whistles and hoarse dwarven shouts crowd the air of this busy port. Squat ferryboats wallow in from a gaping hole in the mountain just to the south. They are piled high with lumps of raw ore and pick-bearing dwarves. A large building to the northwest belches forth great clouds of black soot, and everything here has a layer of grime. You also see the Glaesen Star ticket office and a stout dwarven dockworker.
Obvious paths: north
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Sapphire and Copper]
The town wall blends to a corner against the ivy-covered stone of a large dwelling, funneling the street off to the south and east. A rusting wrought-iron gate rests between two slabs of crumbling rock wall, feebly guarding a cracked walkway which leads up to the house.
Obvious paths: east, south
>
Two addled old dwarves stumble down the street, sharing a big brown clay jug. Leaning on one another, they sing in loud, cracked voices. You're not quite sure what the song is about, or even if they both sing the same one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Kharam-Dzu, Poor Quarter]
Clouds of ash choke the air, and the buildings here are covered with soot. Broken windows, peeling paint and rotting wooden timbers all mark the general decay. Shabbily-dressed dwarves filter through the creaking double doors of a seedy tavern, tucked back into the shadows. To the southwest, a dilapidated pile of planks serves as a makeshift gate into Pig Puddle Lane. You also see a rusted fence and a makeshift gate.
Obvious paths: north, northeast
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[The Whining Elf, Bar]
Woven mats are nailed over the broken front window to keep out the dust of the street. A scattering of filthy straw serves as a floor covering. Behind the bar, glasses are stacked haphazardly in the rusted sink. Giantmen, miners, and dwarves lean against the battered bar, casting a cursory glance at new arrivals. Barely visible through the rising dust and smoke is a dark curtain, over which hangs a small handwritten sign. You also see an enormous giantman.
Obvious exits: out
>
The room falls silent. Everyone's staring at you.

At the back table, one dwarf mumbles something, and his companions snicker loudly.

>l giant
This giantman seems more giant than man... he's huge! He stands head and shoulders above any giantman you've ever seen, with arms and legs that look too thick, even for his height. His hands are the size of a not-so-small ham, and look like they probably have all the delicacy of a sledgehammer. To top things off, he's got the face of an ugly bulldog. Not even a mother could like that face.

In the Common language, it reads:
DWarVEs an GIAnTmeN ONLY. Pointy earred Do not ENteR!

>l bar
If left unattended by the patrons leaning against it, the whole bar might just collapse outward into the room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Old Manor, Dining Room]
Squeezing past a collapsed archway, you gaze upon an immense oak table stretching the length of the room. Ornately carved dragons form the table legs, their claws giving the illusion of melding into the floor. Eerily, the table is still highly polished and unscathed by the destruction around it, as if nary a flame had licked upon it. You can't help but wonder why the impoverished residents of the area never carted it off. You also see some battered stairs.
Obvious exits: east, south
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Pig Puddle Lane, Mud Wallow]
A particularly large and smelly piebald pig tromps about a pool of filth. Passers-by give both pool and pig a wide berth. It eyes them hungrily, whuffles a bit then continues to snuffle about in the muck, searching for edible morsels. The few run-down dwellings in the area all have sturdy fences about their front doors. You also see a plain hovel.
Obvious paths: north, east, south, west
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Kharam-Dzu, Bazaar Central]
The cobblestones give way here to the kinder spring of wood--wide, smooth planks fashioned into a large square and sealed with amber resin. Benches and jute-seated sling-backs scatter across the area, most occupied by adventurers and townspeople who have stopped to rest their weary bones. Sounds of laughter and mirth roll in from the east, pulling your gaze toward a canopied bar. You notice right away that there are a few empty stools.
Obvious paths: northeast, southeast, southwest, northwest
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Kharam-Dzu, Bazaar NW]
The broad edifice of the Kharam-Dzu library dominates this corner of the bazaar, its beams and pillars of thick timber supporting massive granite blocks mortared seamlessly top-to-bottom and end-to-end. Wooden benches flank an arched entryway, extending to the structure's corners in either direction. Sitting cross-legged on the cobbles, a young elven academian rests his back against the building as he peers attentively into his book. You also see a wooden barrel.
Also here: Eclevdra
Obvious paths: north, east, southeast, south, west
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Ghorsa Isle, Plaza Southeast]
Stone benches flank a white marble fountain, and the pleasant burblings nearly drown out the sounds of the city. A stand of modwir trees is home to a flock of pigeons, cooing softly to one another. On the far eastern shore of the river, you see the bustling commercial center of Kharam-Dzu. You also see a large moss covered gate, a silk handfasting pavilion, a shallow pool, a ring of figures and a doorman.
Obvious paths: north, west, northwest

>l pool
A fat goldfish swims about in slow, lazy circles.
>
* Femereff returns home from a hard day of adventuring.
>l pav
Stout poles of ashwood support flowing sheets of silk. Atop each of the poles is tied a small flag, one blue, one red, one yellow and one green. They flap merrily in the breeze.
>
* Saikuron just bit the dust!
>l fig
The figures are set in ridiculous poses. Some have their fingers in their ears, some stand on their heads, and most have crossed eyes. Their facial features are finely-carved, right down to the pointy ears.
>l doorman
The doorman is dressed in a formal coat with a long tail and shiny silver cufflinks.

FinisWolf
05-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Awesome Cat!

I'll save that, and get to work on it after finals.

Finiswolf

Makkah
05-11-2004, 02:12 PM
[Lunatic Asylum]
A single, flickering lantern provides a gloomy light that dances off the rusty iron cell-doors lining the dark stone walls. The air is warm, and uncomfortably moist in this cramped chamber. A fetid stink of rotting garbage, unwashed bodies and worse assaults you like a slap in the face. Rustlings, babblings, gibberings, groans and the occasional hysterical scream come from inside the darkened cells. You also see a trapdoor, a large wheel and a dusty sign.
Obvious exits: none

The Cat In The Hat
05-12-2004, 04:59 PM
A few other areas I'd like to see...

[Rolaren Street, Dead End]
The street ends here at the canyon wall, which towers over your head. Set into its base, you see a gleaming mithril gate. Two dwarven guards clad in gleaming mithril armor stand at attention, their eyes fixed straight before them.
Obvious paths: west

>l gate
>Inscribed above the gate is the crest of the Borthuum family, a miner's pick and a battleaxe crossed over a stack of ingots.
>l guard
The dwarf is clad in mithril plate, from his horned helm to his sabatons. He stares straight ahead, never flinching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Kharam-Dzu, Outside the Gate]
The wood-and-stone walls of a sizeable town rise before you. Mail-clad dwarves pace atop them, looking over your head up the canyon. The road enters the wide-open gates. Dwarves, giantmen, and burro-drawn carts pass through them into the bustle of the town. The river flows north through a gap in the walls to the west. Several squat barge wallow their way upon it. You also see a deckhand.
Obvious paths: north

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Glaes and Dragonstail]
The tunnel turns here, as Glaes and Dragonstail meet. One building stands out, a large, black granite structure. A staircase of grey and white marble leads up to the mithril gates, which are flanked by a pair of stone manticores. The dwarves who amble in and out look to be prosperous sorts. You also see a mithril sign.
Obvious paths: south, west
>read sign
In the Common language, it reads:
The Stormbrow Gallery is closed. We are taking our exhibits on a tour for several weeks.

Have fun!
Cat

FinisWolf
05-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Got it Cat, I don't know what one I will be doing yet, I started looking last night. I know I won't do any with people in it, as I am not that far in my learnings involving LightWave. Thanks for adding more to my list.

Finiswolf

The Cat In The Hat
05-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Welcome! if I think of any other specific places I'll let ya know, the Hogs pen perhaps... or the various places like the library and gallery.

Cat

FinisWolf
05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Cool! I am doing this not only for your contest, but also as a final project for my Computer 3-D Graphics class, so I hope I turn out something thats awesome!

Sorry about not being able to do people yet, but those are my breaks, till next semester anyway.

Finiswolf

The Cat In The Hat
05-14-2004, 10:52 PM
[Imflass and Dragonseye]
It is peaceful here by the River Muagh. Small birds hop and skitter on the mud banks, their chirps blending with the bazaar's distant hum from the opposite shore. On the south side of the street is the burned-out shell of a small wood and stone building. It looks out of place, surrounded by verdant grass, flowers and trees on all sides. Few dwarves wander by here, and those that do seem strangely hushed.
Obvious paths: north, east, south

>l building
>
Charred timbers and blackened stoned blocks are all that remain of this structure. Above what was once the front entrance hang the fused remnants of a brass bell. Just beyond the ruins, closer to the river, you see a small stone monument.

>read monument
>
Several dwarven words have been carved along the top of the monument, and you can only guess at their meaning.
-=-

Phillip Stormbrow Age 8 Jeremy Wilfred Age 6
Honor Darkbrow Age 9 Sally Bluewisp Age 6
Joshua Stonefist Age 5 Marylou Oliveran Age 7
Billy Stonefist Age 6 Sparrow Stonefist Age 9
Jack Quickfeet Age 5 Tommy Stonefist Age 8
Molly Willowsaint Age 9 Rose Greenwood Age 9
Honey Amberdale Age 5 Bobby Brightfael Age 5
Becky Fen'o'Berk Age 7 Kelly Brightfael Age 6
Andy Cobblesmith Age 6 Vernon Fairborn Age 7
Chad Appleby Age 5 Blake Greenleaf Age 8
Tammy Mullabee Age 7 Jeff Featherchael Age 6
Patty-Sue Jones Age 8 Darren Coalmoor Age 7
Brett Gullickson Age 5 Mike Gandermyre Age 9
Max Darkgloam Age 7 Katie Tennyson Age 8
Timmy O'Donnelson Age 8 Susie Michaels Age 5

>l monument
Someone has laid a bouquet of flowers at the base of this simple, white granite block. The monument is engraved with small, neat letters.

[Edited on 5-15-2004 by The Cat In The Hat]

05-15-2004, 03:16 AM
add more rooms to the asylum under the bin in the constabulary.

FinisWolf
05-15-2004, 03:32 AM
Have that one too Cat.

Finiswolf

~ Browsing through the options to see what one is most interesting ~

FinisWolf
11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
I am attempting to post this under the GP rule, and just because...

--- *** ---
[Sapphire and Copper]
The town wall blends to a corner against the ivy-covered stone of a large dwelling, funneling the street off to the south and east. A rusting wrought-iron gate rests between two slabs of crumbling rock wall, feebly guarding a cracked walkway which leads up to the house.
Obvious paths: east, south

Two addled old dwarves stumble down the street, sharing a big brown clay jug. Leaning on one another, they sing in loud, cracked voices. You're not quite sure what the song is about, or even if they both sing the same one.

http://www.acedwebdesign.com/final(3).jpg

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
11-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Ok, ok..., so this folder is only about 5 months old...

O well...

Cut me a bit of slack, just cause I have been absent for so long.

Finiswolf