PDA

View Full Version : Missing in OTF: My brawling weapon

Fallen
04-30-2011, 04:22 AM
Hello all,
I managed to lose my enhancive brawling weapon last night. I was disarmed by a Janissary, then instantly picked up by a Griffin. I was gone less than a minute and the area did NOT unload, but all the same the weapon was missing upon my return. As stupid as it sounds, I have little to no doubt a registered/marked item can disappear within 45 seconds or so of being in an actively used section of the game. On the off chance that it wasn't, however, please let me know if you come across one.

Ayamei
04-30-2011, 06:50 PM
That damn janitor, worst program ever. Your brawler is probably lost in Mobil station now, or something similar.

Gelston
04-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered and marked items really should take longer for the Janitor to snatch.

Archigeek
04-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Why should they be snatched at all? Or at least within an hour? It's just a dumb mechanic that I just don't really see the redeaming value of. I'd rather critters have more legit means to disarm us and take our weapons than to have the "janitor" get them.

Gelston
04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Because idiots would abuse it and register/mark random stupid shit and leave it laying all over the place. An hour would be good though.

Archigeek
04-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Because idiots would abuse it and register/mark random stupid shit and leave it laying all over the place. An hour would be good though.

Charge a 1000 silver registration fee. That'd cut down on the idiots a little.

Gelston
04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Charge a 1000 silver registration fee. That'd cut down on the idiots a little.

Sounds great, actually. I wonder how difficult it would be for them to mess with the janitor system though.

dszabo
04-30-2011, 09:22 PM
The "janitor" falls in line with so many other outdated things now. When you had 2000+ people running around, it was necessary to have a "janitor" around to pick up the junk and other things. Now, the 400 people at peak times, we just don't drop much junk. Even if all 400 of us hunted 24/7 the critter junk probably wouldn't even be a very big burden on the system.

WRoss
04-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Also, if you drop an item in a shop, then leave the shop, it gets picked up almost instantly, and it doesn't got into the "janitor pile". Sucks

Jhynnifer
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Hello all,
I managed to lose my enhancive brawling weapon last night. I was disarmed by a Janissary, then instantly picked up by a Griffin. I was gone less than a minute and the area did NOT unload, but all the same the weapon was missing upon my return. As stupid as it sounds, I have little to no doubt a registered/marked item can disappear within 45 seconds or so of being in an actively used section of the game. On the off chance that it wasn't, however, please let me know if you come across one.

If I'm reading it right, a Griffin picked it up and not the janitor? If so it more than likely got tossed into the hopper and could respawn somewhere else in the game. If you marked/register it, I'd ASSIST and see what a GM can do for you, as long as its not in another player's hands they're often willing to get it for you, especially if you weren't given any chance to reclaim it and you don't beg them for weapons and crap returned to you all the time.

If there's a mechanic I'm missing here, having never hunted griffins, then apologies!

WRoss
04-30-2011, 10:18 PM
The griffin picked him up, not the item. More than likely, a ithzir picked it up, then faded not being touched, so it just disappeared.

Jhynnifer
04-30-2011, 11:35 PM
More than likely, which still means he might get lucky with an assist.

I completely read it wrong. Derp-a-derp =(

Either way, good luck with it, that's some terrible luck.

Elvenlady
05-01-2011, 10:26 AM
If I'm reading it right, a Griffin picked it up and not the janitor?

Evarin was picked up by the griffin, not the weapon. He was promptly carried out of the room where the weapon was left unattended on the ground.

Edited to add: Hope you get it back Evarin.

inso
05-01-2011, 10:48 AM
My biggest problem with the janitor is that it's a pretty OOC mechanic. Things don't just disappear when they're in the next room unattended. They should either rework the system so:

1. Registered items don't get janitored, ever. Hell, like someone said above, make a second tier of the "register" verb and charge even 500k-1m per item you use it on.

or

2. Since it's an ooc mechanic, change the "once in a lifetime" restoration to once every 6 months - one year. In the meantime, you could always use an item to which you're less attached as "punishment." I doubt item restoration is such a labor-intensive process that it warrants only being used once every decade+.

Asha
05-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Still waiting on someone saying not to use weapons you can't stand to lose in OTF.
I'm not gonna though. I think it's bullshit tbh.

Fallen
05-01-2011, 01:54 PM
It bummed me out to lose it, but it isn't the end of the world. Having people locker items as a form of "balance" is retarded, as are the people who believe that line of crap to be true. It is an excuse not to change old, outmoded coding.

Asha
05-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Hear hear.

m444w
05-01-2011, 05:55 PM
It bummed me out to lose it, but it isn't the end of the world. Having people locker items as a form of "balance" is retarded, as are the people who believe that line of crap to be true. It is an excuse not to change old, outmoded coding.

Lots of that sort of crap that could be removed/changed slightly and help things tremendously... dropping scimitars an RT class, getting rid of sheer fear, etc.

drunksolo
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Using balance as a reason for the OTF mechanics really does suck, aside from the janitor sucking. I can see the reason for the janitor - but seriously, has it been updated in the 20 years that the game's been running? Probably only for the switch from GS3 to GS4, I bet.

But the balance thing? Nah. Not coincidentally, balance between characters in hunting grounds pretty much falls apart right at about 7.57m exp.

WRoss
05-01-2011, 08:25 PM
But the balance thing? Nah. Not coincidentally, balance between characters in hunting grounds pretty much falls apart right at about 7.57m exp.

Try putting a pure spiritualist in the scatter. Not happening.