PDA

View Full Version : Familiar idea

AnticorRifling
05-31-2005, 11:05 AM
I posted this under GemStoneIV > Wizards > Familiars

Just thought I'd put it here as well and see if I didn't get some different input to my idea:

Reply Delete

Why couldn't we get the syntax of prep 920 summon (adj like black, white, furry, pick from a set list via callfam help) (type like hawk, grifflet, chicken mcnugget, etc, again from a set list via callfam help)

So basically I would

prep 920

summon crispy mcnug

You gesture and a crispy chicken mcnugget rolls into the room.

Of course certain creatures only avalible in certain areas but I think instead of just picking a random one for you the game would send back a message saying you try to link with a blah blah but you don't find any in this area. This would allow you to pick another familiar without wasting your mana or getting that stupid white cat to show up.

I think before you'd be able to start picking the adj of the familiar you'd need at least 50 wizard spell ranks and to pick the actuall familiar itself would require 40 wizard spell ranks(that's 1x for a great lord and I'm still way short of that at lvl 64 heh). This would mean a wizard with 40 ranks of the 900s could call a familiar of his/her liking but the color would still be mostly random going towards more and more what you actually summon as you approach that 50 rank threshold.

I think we could put together a decent sized list for both familiars and descriptives that we could then put under the callfam help verb. It'd also be nice that akin to the custom verb you could get a custom descriptive for 920 like an alter that you would decide when you wanted to use it. Maybe one day you want to have your extra crispy chicken breast following you around and all the other wizards who didn't get a custom descriptive would be forced to summon only an original recipe chicken breast.

I really need to stop posting when I'm hungry for chicken. :)

S/F
Anticor Rifling half the armor half the fun!

05-31-2005, 11:09 AM
or even if you could summon only the creature, and the description was random it would be nice. Or if the description was lore based...

Amaron
05-31-2005, 11:13 AM
I wrote the AC gm and asked about the system being compatable for wizard familars.

I have a familar instrument and since the animal is tied right to the instrument and its always the same it shouldn't be a problem to alter or change and was told no they were nice as they were.

I do hope familars get some updating soon.

I like your idea about the calling specific ones and the idea of being attuned to lores..

J

05-31-2005, 11:16 AM
Also I bet one of the new spells will be Summon Lesser Elemental(540). Which that will be more like ranger's AC. But thats just me assuming...

AnticorRifling
05-31-2005, 11:17 AM
I believe as it stands now with 50 ranks in the 900s you can summon a creature and get it more often than not if it's avalible in that location but the descriptive is still random.

I'd like to see more than just colors as descriptives. Small, large, furry, dirty, muddy, slimy, etc.

AnticorRifling
05-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Ohh I don't know about connecting a lore to this spell as our lores are elemental lores and these are creatures. Unless you're talking air lore gets you birds, earth lore gets you dogs and such, water lore brings out the frogs and the uh frogs, fire lore gets you extra crispy chicken...

Amaron
05-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Ohh I don't know about connecting a lore to this spell as our lores are elemental lores and these are creatures. Unless you're talking air lore gets you birds, earth lore gets you dogs and such, water lore brings out the frogs and the uh frogs, fire lore gets you extra crispy chicken...

I am thinking maybe just color ot style more that creature...

Kinda like disks...

J

AnticorRifling
05-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Yeah but I don't want a translucent pet :cool:

06-01-2005, 05:51 AM
LOL. Crispy McNugget. That's gotta be the greatest thing I've read in a long time :lol2:

I dunno, some familiars are unique maybe?

Amaron
06-01-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Yeah but I don't want a translucent pet :cool:

ok thats cute... I wouldn't either...

grin

J

Trelawna
06-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I wonder if it is possible to have a spell later on to anchor a familiar once you are satisfied with it. say, a level 30-ish spell is Anchor Familiar, you cast it at your Crispy Chicken Breast, and your Chicken Breast is yours forever. I dont know if it is possible, but ... well, now it is out there

Trel

Overlord
06-03-2005, 10:23 AM
They should have updated this a while ago anyway, after so much time was spent customizing AC for rangers (Hell they can even get alterations for crying out loud).

Love the idea Anticor man, its bloody stupid that when an evil looking and foul demeanored wizard summons a familliar and this bloody fuzzy jolly little bastard of a white cat comes up when your looking for a menacing crow or raven. (Or spicey chicken, whatever floats your boat)

Amaron
06-03-2005, 10:29 AM
I asked a GM about being able to alter them.. and have them attuned to the caster like AC's.

I was more specifically asking about my lemur that comes from my familar instrument since thats already attune to the instrument and is constant and was told that with the old code it would take more time than it was worth for the few instruments out there.

Maybe if wizards get the updates to familiars and the ability to attune and alter them someone will be kinda and let bards as well.

I do think Wizards need an update big time. I got my ranger's companion done last night and it was awesome.

She has a regular description and a sleeping one and I was able to personalize her a bunch.

I would like to see wizards get an update.

J

ElanthianSiren
06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by The Vagrant
or even if you could summon only the creature, and the description was random it would be nice. Or if the description was lore based...

Sounds like the familiars I designed when I still worked at UL... though UL fams are also action scripted.

-Melissa

edit to add the description of the snakes here:

a
(randomlyomly/dark-green/swamp-green/reddish-brown/crimson/tan/black/silver-brown/silver/mottled/grey/albino/brown and green)
serpent

Distinguished by a (randomly/smooth/shimmering/banded/spotted/patternless/striped/blotched) set of (the scales you chose) scales, this immense serpent has a (randomly/flat/diamond-shaped/broad/narrow) head, surrounding two (randomly/mismatched/slitted/narrow/beady/reflective/pensive/intelligent/fierce/calculating/rivetting), (randomly/white/blue/green/crimson/gold/golden/silver) eyes with (randomly/elliptical/rounded) pupils that dissect and devour its surroundings. It has a forked tongue that darts between a set of (randomly/glistening/sharp/gleaming/keen), ivory fangs and is crested with (randomly/an ivory circle/a series of darker stripes/a golden wisp/darker dorsal blotches/lighter dorsal blotches/blue specks/a series of golden, sickle-like markings/a series of darker, sickle-like markings/a series of creamy, sickle-like markings/a pattern of darker, star-shaped markings/a series of creamy, star-shaped markings) across the back of its head. Its soft, underbelly of scales is (randomly/one layer/two layers) thick, and it sports a thick, (randomly/rattled/pointed/broad) tail.

[Edited on Fri, June rd, 2005 by ElanthianSiren]

06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I'd sell charges on my unique familiar activated for 1m a pop.