PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drives

Blazing247
05-08-2004, 08:30 PM
For the tech-savvy among us, what would you prefer? A 200GB 7200 RPM drive, or an 80ishGB 10k RPM Raptor to run my OS and system files off of, and an 80GB 7200 RPM drive to run my apps/music off of?

I'm thinking the second set up might make my system quicker. Yes, I realize I could just do SCSI but I don't want to.

J-Tech
05-08-2004, 08:52 PM
I'd go with the 200GB 7200 RPM hard drive, but I use up alotta space thats why.

J.T.

J-Tech
05-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Can I ask who they are made by? That would make a difference also, and how big of a buffer is on both.

J.T.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by J-Tech]

Blazing247
05-08-2004, 09:14 PM
8MB buffer on each. All drives would be Seagate except the Raptor, which is WD.

I know, theoretically, that the second config is quicker. I'm wondering if it's that noticeable that it'd be worth doing, however.

J-Tech
05-08-2004, 10:19 PM
I think you should just go with the 200GB, but I think you should get that as a WD, WD makes really good HDD's, i've never had any problems with them, well I had one, in a computer that was 5 years old I had a 20GB go out...but it being a 20GB says to you it was an OLD HDD. LOL.

J.T.

AnticorRifling
05-09-2004, 09:43 AM
I'd go the 2 80's faster RPM plus system files on one and major data on the other = faster seek time.

J-Tech
05-09-2004, 09:45 AM
I like Western Digital, they == Good.

I've never used a hard drive made by the other companys, so that did play a part in my suggestion too.

J.T.

gcstader
05-09-2004, 01:10 PM
I've got 2 raptors running in a RAID 0 config. They are noticably faster than 7200 RPM hds. However, I also have a 120 gb maxtor for storage needs.
In since your're talking about getting one of those 74 gb raptors I'm assuming you've got about ~$220 to spend.
I'd suggest grabbing two 160 gb hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration, if your mobo supports it. These seagates are a great deal at $122 (about 75 cents a GB):

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=22-148-018&DEPA=1

newegg.com has the best prices anywhere for computer components. I've built 4 computers with parts from them. They generally have free FedEx shipping (takes about 5 days to get to NC from cali) and excellent customer service should you have to RMA an item.

~Greg / Eldas

Blazing247
05-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Ah, that's what I was looking for- someone who is actually running the config that I want. So it is noticeably faster? That's all I was worried about. I plan on doing RAID 0 as well, and yes my MOBO will support it. I got the (in my opinion) best motherboard around- P4C800E Deluxe. I was looking at the Giga 8KNXP, or the ABIT IC7 Max 3, but in the end it was ASUS I trusted the most. I think I'm going to go for the dual Raptor's, or at least a Raptor for my system files and a WD for my apps. I heard Raptor noise is annoying, but I'll deal with it.

J-Tech
05-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Eh, well..I tried to help, LOL. I dont get to test much hardware cause I dont normaly have much money to buy new stuff, so I gotta go off the little bit of stuff i've used, like the Western Digital, which is a very good hard drive made by a good company, the raptors sound nice tho, maybe when I make my next computer i'll try it out.

J.T.

Straight-up
05-09-2004, 08:01 PM
This is a bit of tangent, but how does (if it does) disk imaging work with a RAID 0 array? My current system supports RAID on the motherboard and I too have considered getting two SATA drives (probably the 74 gig Raptors) and setting it up. My main worry is that I like to keep working image files for when something goes wrong. Anyone have experience with this in RAID?

Straight

Wezas
05-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
I'd go the 2 80's faster RPM plus system files on one and major data on the other = faster seek time.

^^ What he said. Especially if the price for the 10k one isn't that bad.

Blazing247
05-10-2004, 12:39 AM
It sounds like what you want is RAID 0+1 (high I/O rates AND nearly the reliability of RAID 1). To be honest, I don't know too much about it as it isn't something that I've ever set up. I do know that you need more drives than normal. I'm sure a quick Google will get you an answer.

FinisWolf
05-10-2004, 12:51 AM
I don't care for western digital myself, I had a problem with their HD, and they have (had) little to no tech support, and wouldn't even do a trade for another HD, since the one I bought was fried when I got it.

In all, I like the second idea better, speed is where everything is at now days, and some of the PC games require you to be as fast as you can, even if their requirements state otherwise. So, overall, the second set, simply for speed, though I would dump WD and look at another HD company.

Finiswolf

Blazing247
05-10-2004, 01:22 AM
You can't really base the reliability of an entire brand on one bad experience. In my experience, WD and IBM (now Hitachi) are the best HD's for the dollar. For certain, you had a horrible experience with their customer service, but you should've just bought a new drive at Best Buy, swapped out the drives, and returned it.