PDA

View Full Version : Thrown and paladins

Atkins
04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
so, Fixskills is coming up and i'm wanting to try something.

How well do you think an OHB/Thrown paladin would do? I like the idea from a roleplay perspective, but i'm somewhat wary of gimping myself.

I play more of a physical paladin, but i like the idea of hurling a hammer when neccesary.

What kinda skill set up would work?

Asha
04-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Thrown is broken isn't it?

Androidpk
04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
If you have a lot of money to invest go for it, otherwise don't.

Archigeek
04-21-2011, 07:42 PM
You need good gear to effectively hurl at this point, or, you have to be very careful and use it selectively. There are people who do both. I'd be most concerned about TPs though, as to be effective you're going to need to fully train in both blunt AND thrown.

Those who do it without returners or bandoliers, either throw their bonded weapons in select circumstances, or they throw cheap weapons like feras etc. Heck, these days, your forging rejects could work just fine, though carrying around a dozen hammers is likely also to create encumberance issues.

It's a great idea though. Good luck, I'm interested in hearing how it turns out.

Menos
04-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Its an entertaining notion. I tried doing the same thing with Menos and a chain spear myself. While I could hit things, the "when needed" part never really materialized. I would just 1615 any turtled creatures in the end. It would do more damage and better ignore stance.

Even putting that part aside, the points costs for a paladin are pretty darn fierce. Finding room pre-cap would tack a Herculean effort. Doing so is likely to cost you in some of the expensive ranks in CM or spells and is not going to leave lots of room for lores, ambush, and so on.

RSR
04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Its an entertaining notion. I tried doing the same thing with Menos and a chain spear myself. While I could hit things, the "when needed" part never really materialized. I would just 1615 any turtled creatures in the end. It would do more damage and better ignore stance.

Even putting that part aside, the points costs for a paladin are pretty darn fierce. Finding room pre-cap would tack a Herculean effort. Doing so is likely to cost you in some of the expensive ranks in CM or spells and is not going to leave lots of room for lores, ambush, and so on.

Pretty sure Ron/Lucos did it and reached level 40 as a paladin hurling before anyone else with Limper. He had a sancted returning hammer though. High end hurling toys make it do-able. Without toys, not so much.

-Richard.

Archigeek
04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
At low level it's not too difficult to hurl without the toys actually. I wouldn't call it easy, but not that terrible. Unfortunately, as you progress the critters get faster and trickier and it becomes a bigger liability to leave a weapon on the ground etc. At levels 1-5 you can hurl feras and be pretty happy about it. But yeah, you get very far and you're going to want a toy.

TheLastShamurai
04-21-2011, 09:02 PM
The biggest problem with hybrid Paladin builds in my opinion is the Cost-to-Pwn ratio, in that it's super expensive and usually doesn't even make you equally [and usually less so] powerful as a standard THW build.

EDIT: I am enjoying ranged though.

Archigeek
04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
I like that: Cost-to-Pwn ratio. Certainly it's high in this case.

However, if you CAN buy the right toys, hurling is very effective. And then the Speed-to-Pwn ratio comes into play, and hurling excels there.

TheLastShamurai
04-21-2011, 09:18 PM
I like that: Cost-to-Pwn ratio. Certainly it's high in this case.

On both fronts; I was actually referring to the TP's, but the silver cost would be as well.

WRoss
04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
I looked at taking a paladin with 12.5m exp into a hurled, pole-arm build. It was very expensive and I had to drop a lot of dodging, spells, lore, and armor before it was even feasible. While paladins can be very powerful, it's very expensive TP wise to do it in more than one way. Hurling just adds the a large silver expense as well.

kookiegod
04-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, I dunno here.

I was playing with my level 15 paladins build to see if i could make hurled work.

30 ranks armor - brig
2x shield
2x hurled
2x blunt
1x HP
1x PT
1x dodge
12 paladin spell ranks
5 ranks swim and climb
2x percept

Its minimalist but doable for sure. This was on a dwarf.

The hurled review could definitely help this build by not having to train 2x in blunt. Would allow for 1x CM and a bunch of left overs.

~Paul

WRoss
04-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Level 15 is nothing Paul. That build would not be sustainable.

Danical
04-21-2011, 11:01 PM
. . . The hurled review could definitely help . . .

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Is Lusus even on staff still?

neimanz1
04-21-2011, 11:37 PM
hurling & sheild using paladin should be pretty interesting

Atkins
04-22-2011, 01:05 PM
well, bummer. I definetly don't have the coin for a returner, but damn i think it would be a cool idea.

But it comes down to the fact that i'd be trading a whole lot of awesome killing power for a little bit of situational (majorly situational) expertise. I kill most things just fine with a straight OHB/shield build, i just think throwing would be nifty.

Thank you all for your input.

Fallen
04-22-2011, 01:18 PM
hurling & sheild using paladin should be pretty interesting

D hurls and is OHE/Shield as a Paladin. Granted, she has a spear bandolier, but the build was always viable post cap. She wears a lot of outside spells, but she did far before she capped as a warrior as well. I think that's the big trick to making the build work.

1. Have a good toy to take out the tediousness of the build.

2. Be willing to maintain a fairly decent amount of outside spells to make up for the holes in the thrown build.

kookiegod
04-22-2011, 01:20 PM
well, bummer. I definetly don't have the coin for a returner, but damn i think it would be a cool idea.

But it comes down to the fact that i'd be trading a whole lot of awesome killing power for a little bit of situational (majorly situational) expertise. I kill most things just fine with a straight OHB/shield build, i just think throwing would be nifty.

Thank you all for your input.

If you go for it, make the investment.

I know someone with 2 hammers for sale :)

~Paul

Fallen
04-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Getting your hands on a handaxe bandolier would likely be the easiest and most efficient way to make a serious commitment to hurling. There are plenty of them (relatively), and they aren't insanely expensive. The next step up would be a decent returner, which are going to be more hard to find in a decent base, and more expensive. That has the benefit of doubling as your primary weapon (Can you bond to a returner?), and negates the loss of DS when you're empty handed without training in brawl.

Archigeek
04-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Getting your hands on a handaxe bandolier would likely be the easiest and most efficient way to make a serious commitment to hurling. There are plenty of them (relatively), and they aren't insanely expensive. The next step up would be a decent returner, which are going to be more hard to find in a decent base, and more expensive. That has the benefit of doubling as your primary weapon (Can you bond to a returner?), and negates the loss of DS when you're empty handed without training in brawl.

Yes, you can bond to a returner.

The way it has worked out for me is kind of the opposite of how I expected it to work out: hurling is my primary attack, and melee attacks are the ones that are situational. When I started hurling, when the first returners came out, I thought it would be the opposite. The low RT of hurling and not needing a setup maneuver before attacking are probably the two biggest advantages to hurling.

Of course, being a warrior it's a bit different. If I were a paladin I'd probably use melee attacks even less, (because I wouldn't have berserk and likely not as much MOC training either). What would be most interesting to me, would be to see just how crushingly high my AS would be as a hurling paladin. At a fair bit past cap in terms of EXP, I think you would be brutally effective with as Evarin pointed out, the right (expensive) tool.

Tumbadoo
04-26-2011, 12:56 AM
With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a radiant ocean hued mithril hammer into flight.
You throw a radiant ocean hued mithril hammer at a siren!
AS: +549 vs DS: +423 with AvD: +25 + d100 roll: +72 = +223
... and hit for 106 points of damage!
Incredible blast shatters head into a red spray.
The siren gives a plaintive wail before she slumps to her side and dies.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around a siren.

Your hued mithril hammer spins rapidly through the air, the head whooshing audibly with each revolution. As it completes its arc, it reverses direction and lands solidly in your right hand, ready to throw again.
Roundtime: 4 sec.

With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a radiant ocean hued mithril hammer into flight.
You throw a radiant ocean hued mithril hammer at a triton executioner!
AS: +549 vs DS: +313 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +7 = +270
... and hit for 95 points of damage!
Awesome shot skewers skull! The triton executioner blinks once and falls quite dead!
The triton executioner collapses, gurgling once with a wrathful look on her face before expiring.
The warm glow fades from around a triton executioner.

Your hued mithril hammer spins rapidly through the air, the head whooshing audibly with each revolution. As it completes its arc, it reverses direction and lands solidly in your right hand, ready to throw again.

You throw a radiant ocean hued mithril hammer at a triton combatant!
AS: +549 vs DS: +290 with AvD: +19 + d100 roll: +22 = +300
... and hit for 65 points of damage!
Skull cracks in several places.

** Your hued mithril hammer releases a spray of acid! **

... 10 points of damage!
Acid burns to the midsection leave a lasting impression.

With a quick flick of your wrist, you deftly send a short-corded leather bola with three stone weights into flight.
You throw a short-corded leather bola at a triton combatant!
AS: +457 vs DS: +137 with AvD: +17 + d100 roll: +8 = +345
... and hit for 21 points of damage!
Blow leaves an imprint on the triton combatant's chest!
The triton combatant collapses, gurgling once with a wrathful look on his face before expiring.

You quickly close the distance between you and the bola and then break right and scoop it up.

You throw a radiant ocean hued mithril hammer at a triton magus!
AS: +549 vs DS: +274 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +44 = +346
... and hit for 105 points of damage!
Solid strike caves the triton magus's skull in, resulting in instant death!
The triton magus gurgles once and goes still, a wrathful look on his face.
The bright luminescence fades from around a triton magus.
A triton magus seems to lose an aura of confidence.
A triton magus is no longer moving so silently.
A triton magus appears less powerful.
The silvery luminescence fades from around a triton magus.

Liannonuel (at level 100), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 250 150
Armor Use..........................| 250 150
Combat Maneuvers...................| 302 202
Blunt Weapons......................| 201 101
Thrown Weapons.....................| 302 202
Ambush.............................| 99 23
Physical Fitness...................| 201 101
Dodging............................| 175 75
Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
Magic Item Use.....................| 90 20
Harness Power......................| 201 101
Spirit Mana Control................| 93 21
Spiritual Lore - Blessings.........| 47 9
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 92 20
Spiritual Lore - Summoning.........| 72 15
Perception.........................| 302 202
Climbing...........................| 140 40
Swimming...........................| 150 50

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 30

Spell Lists
Paladin............................| 50
Training Points: 13 Phy 0 Mnt (752 Phy converted to Mnt)
(Use SKILLS BASE to display unmodified ranks and goals)

I skipped the part where I was suppose to take names. That is all.