PDA

View Full Version : Interview advice

Asile
03-28-2011, 10:15 PM
I have a job interview in a week, the first one in a while, and it's for a job I REALLY want. I've been an employee of the organization for almost 10 years (my 10th anniversary is August 1), though I've been part-time on-call as a trainer since the end of November 2006, having worked full-time in the office before that, same department I'd be in if I get this new job. While I was full-time, I covered this particular position a LOT, including taking it on for 3 weeks--in addition to my regular job--when the person in that position went on vacation. I also got the call to interview literally 16 hours after I dropped off the application and my resume (it was given to HR at 4pm, I got a call at 10am the next day).

I'm giving all that info because in MY mind, and the mind of another part-time on-call trainer who's a good friend of mine, I'm the pretty obvious choice for the position. But who knows what the people who'd be my bosses are thinking, there can be a lot of politicking in this organization, and I've tried to mostly stay out of it while still staying on people's good sides and remaining available as a knowledgeable resource. Because I want the job so bad, I'm really curious how much other competition, if any, I might be up against...so during the interview I want to ask how many other people they're interviewing.

But...is this acceptable? I wouldn't ask for names or anything, but if they're only talking to one other person, or then get to tell me that the interview is just a formality and they basically made up their minds when they saw my application and resume and did a Happy Dance around the office that I was coming back on such a large scale... or if they've got 4 more people to talk to.. That would give me an idea of how hopeful to be, really, ya know?

And while I'm at it, are there any questions I should be sure to ask? This is the part of the interview I have ALWAYS sucked at, and I think it's blown my chance at a job at least once.

Thanks guys!

waywardgs
03-28-2011, 10:19 PM
There's a thread for this, let me see if I can find it...

here:

http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=58422&highlight=interview

And as far as your question goes, I don't see any harm in asking how many people you're up against. Makes you seem eager, like you really want the job, if you phrase it correctly.

Archigeek
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
My one piece of advice for interviews is to keep your answers short. I don't mean blunt, rude short, but avoid the trap of getting long winded in your answers. People want to please in interviews, and sometimes that leads them to saying too much in the interest of making sure their answer is satisfactory. Don't do it. Answer the questions politely and without a bunch of extra info that they didn't ask for.

As for asking how many people are interviewing, I think that's a reasonable question, but I don't think it improves your chances of getting the job. They'll likely largely answer this question anyway, so I'd say no, don't ask. When they ask you the, "do you have any questions for us" question, give them a softball that's still meaningful, and move on to the end of the interview.

Jayvn
03-28-2011, 10:40 PM
smile, eye contact, bring your fucking resume with you to the interview...
make sure the resume is not in crayon
win
also go in with the mindset you have the job, don't be cocky about it, but let it give you that extra confidence during the interview.. it takes away any bit of nerves..
also... bring your resume with you to the interview.. even though you just turned it in
posture
I love interviews =D
I hated having to interview people though... generally they have a good idea who they are hiring before the interviews start.. Like the woman who lined through shit on her resume with a pen and wrote in corrections... yeah.. she didn't get the job
To put what Archi said in the first paragraph into one word... Concise

WRoss
03-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCtRg6mOVk

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Titty hard ons also are win, but don't slut it up... make it look like you are demure and non-assuming, but have pencil thick nipples sticking through your sweater always leaves an impression.

4a6c1
03-28-2011, 11:37 PM
I've straight out asked before during a corporate interview "How many other people are you looking at?" I was cool with him though and pretty much in your position. I thought I was the clear choice. BUT IT SHOULD BE NOTED I WAS NOT OFFERED THE POSITION.

(And then I decided I was Super Fail and not enjoying life and I needed to stop riding the family coattails and now Skyscrapers make me sadpants like whoa.)

GOOOOOD LUUUUCK!!!!

Wyrmx
03-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Its more than fair to ask the question. In my experience I always like to see that the applicant in question really wants the job. However, be prepared to state why you are better qualified than any other potential applicants. I.E. experience, drive, positive attitude, work ethic, etc. There is nothing wrong with stating your strong points without sounding cocky. I always like to see confidence and motivation in an applicant.

Ayamei
03-29-2011, 12:06 AM
pass the drug test

Delias
03-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Glitter boards.

EasternBrand
03-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Titty hard ons also are win, but don't slut it up... make it look like you are demure and non-assuming, but have pencil thick nipples sticking through your sweater always leaves an impression.

Exactly. Why break the glass ceiling when you can just cut through it with your nipples?

Stry
03-29-2011, 02:05 AM
As someone who was unemployed from July - October last year.. I've been through a LOT of interviews in the last 6 months. Ending with landing the best job possible by some stroke of fate/luck.

In my opinion, asking how many other people they're interviewing shows that you're insecure about being offered the position or that you're worried.

For some companies that might be enough to be a deal breaker.

Ask instead something like, "When can I look forward to hearing from you?" or "When can I expect to hear from you?"

This is you saying "I expect that you will call me to offer me the job. I want to know when." without saying it. You're also not being cocky, or assuming anything, but it shows confidence.

This shows confidence and most of the time their answer will be something like, "Well we're doing a few more interviews, and we'll be making a decision by the end of the week." or "We've got several more applicants we're looking at." Then you have a rough idea and you can spend the rest of the day/week worrying about it. (Which you'll do even if they tell you they're looking at 3-4 others, or 20 others.)

- Bring a resume, even though they'll have it.

- Make sure it's a 1 page resume. Regardless of how much experience you have. They only look at it for 8-10 seconds.

- Have a 2 page resume ready to go, if they want more information.

- PRACTICE an interview with a friend/significant other.

- Have them look for quirky things you do and make sure you're not doing that in the interview. For example: I play with my wedding ring and my goatee. So, during the interview I focused on my posture and where my hands were. I also shaved my goatee while I was job searching so I wouldn't toy with it.

- Practice the generic interview questions and have answers ready.

- A lot of questions aim at the negative, looking for dirt or to make you squirm. Be ready for this and turn the answers to positive.

- What is your strength, What do you bring to this position, What goals do you have with this company. Where do you see yourself in 5 years. 10 years? (They WANT you to say you'll still be with their company, even if it's bullshit.)
What is your biggest weakness? (Trick question, turn it into something positive.)

For the job I was offered they asked what I didn't like about my previous supervisor. That could have been a big can of worms if I wasn't ready for it.

Fortunately, I was able to answer that he didn't pay his employees and that I spent a lot of time helping him organize the company and fielding unhappy employees. (Pointing out what I did well, in light of a difficult situation.)

Anyhow, good luck... and sorry for the rambling.

Jayvn
03-29-2011, 02:40 AM
also..resume paper is sexy stuff
and to the where do you see yourself in 5 years... 'doing your wife'

Jayvn
03-29-2011, 02:40 AM
also...so tell me about yourself...
does not mean I want to hear about where you went to middle school

iJin
03-29-2011, 03:00 AM
Don't look to the left.

Archigeek
03-29-2011, 04:30 AM
If the pressure gets really bad, it could go like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5UG7ISJfP0

Stretch
03-29-2011, 08:05 AM
I wouldn't ask.

Jayvn
03-29-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDr979JswU

protect the future boss from zombies... you will def. get the job :)

Gan
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Don't bring up doodie.

Asile
03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys. This is NOT going to be a typical interview, at least it doesn't feel like it, because I know the people who are interviewing me and, in fact, still work with them (one of them I work with pretty closely since she's my current boss for my part-time work). But it's still a lot of good advice, since I just got word of another job position someone wants me for, but I don't know the people who would ultimately make that decision.

Asha
03-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Glitter boards.

hahahah!"!!!"

Asha
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
But yeah, get drunk.

waywardgs
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Don't bring up doodie.

C'mon, a well-timed pant crap can be a real ice breaker!

Archigeek
03-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Speaking of crap, make sure you take a nice bowel-cleansing dump BEFORE the interview. That "I have to take a crap and I'm holding it back" facial expression is a real deal killer. Not to mention that extra poopy smelling fart that sneaks out. Nothing says, "I really want to work with this person" more than a nice pungent SBD accompanied by a facial expression that looks like you're trying to keep your tourettes under control.

AnticorRifling
03-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Speaking of crap, make sure you take a nice bowel-cleansing dump BEFORE the interview. That "I have to take a crap and I'm holding it back" facial expression is a real deal killer. Not to mention that extra poopy smelling fart that sneaks out. Nothing says, "I really want to work with this person" more than a nice pungent SBD accompanied by a facial expression that looks like you're trying to keep your tourettes under control.

This should be recorded as gospel.

Ayamei
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Speaking of crap, make sure you take a nice bowel-cleansing dump BEFORE the interview.

I think this is good advice before you do anything time consuming.

4a6c1
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM

:rofl:

Kid Danger
03-29-2011, 10:14 PM
I interviewed for a job last week with the company I am currently temping for. My supervisor, who is also a recruiter and good friend sent me an email with some tips for the interview. Here is the a copy of her email and good luck.

Interview Tips:

Make sure you bring several copies of your resume on nice carbon colored (beige or white only) paper. You can obtain this paper at your local Kinkos.

Greet the interviewer with a firm handshake and make eye contact. This shows confidence and self-assurance (very attractive qualities).

Smile and be energetic!

Ask questions! This is important. Here is a list of questions you can ask.

· What do you feel is the ideal candidate for this position?

· What can I do to exceed in this position? Tell me about the best person you had in this role previously.

· For whom would I be working?

Also be prepared to answer questions. They may ask you…

· Why should I hire you?

· Why do you want to work for our company/organization?

· What do you know about our company? Make sure you visit their website.

· What are your weaknesses? This is a trick question. DO NOT FOCUS ON ANYTHING NEGATIVE!! What they would like to hear is that you are always looking to improve yourself and take constructive criticism openly; you learn from your mistakes and are flexible to change.

· What are your salary requirements? Do not bring up salary or benefits. If they ask you about salary tell them that you are open and you want to get paid what you're worth.

· Tell me about your work / salary history. Consider that anything on your resume is fair game for topic.

Interview Do's

1. Say thank you at the end of the interview. Get business cards of whom ever you meet and send a thank you email for their time. This shows your interest level.

2. Take initiative during the interview process. Taking initiative means asking questions and also being a good listener.

3. Show up on time!!!! Leave in enough time to make sure you are 10 minutes early.

4. Ask for the job…that's right. If you feel you are the perfect person for the job let them know! This will also show your interest level.

5. Please be sure to send me a thank you note for the person you interviewed with (via email) which I will review and send back to you with any suggested revisions. You will want to do this within 24 hours of the interview.

Interview Don'ts

1. Do not be late. Make sure you Yahoo Maps or Google Maps your location. Do not use Mapquest!

2. Do not slouch in your chair. Make sure you sit up straight and have a professional demeanor.

3. Do not fidget or click pens. This shows nervousness.

4. Do not ask about overtime. This can be brought up on either the second interview or when an offer is extended

Revalos
03-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Man, this reminds me to say that I totally BOMBED my interview that I posted the last thread for. Y'alls advice was great, but it ended up that I completely flubbed one question and I knew once I did that, that nothing else I did mattered considering the competition. The question that threw me had to do with the director's strategic plan...which had absolutely zero to do with anything since the strategic plan only goes out to 2012 and I wouldn't even start the job I was applying for until the end of 2011.

My advice to you Asile is to make every effort to think if you were an interviewer, what questions you would ask...then ignore those, and then think if you were the head of that company, what questions you could use to find someone you could hire that would be willing to work for the lowest amount of pay but have good talent and no desires for advancement beyond their current job.

Enitocin
04-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Be confident, make the person interviewing you laugh if you can. I interview a LOOOTTT of people, most of which I forget. Every now and then someone comes by and makes me laugh, keeps me laughing.

They usually get hired.