PDA

View Full Version : merchant whores

08-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Alright... I hate people who seem to fall in love with merchants who do alterations. At this festival, Kailya for example, fell madly in love with Chavie, yet she's wearing an engagement ring. She keeps going on and on about how great he is... Makes me want to strangle her.

Aevrynne and Balouga are cool because they don't put up with that BS. You try and flirt or fall in love with them, and you get struck down by a lightning bolt. I wish all merchants were like that and didn't condone this idiodic behavior. People please! You'll forget he/she/it even existed a week after the festival is over...

a disgruntled elf

Artha
08-03-2003, 02:05 PM
You should've commented on how nice and expensive her engagement ring looked.

08-03-2003, 02:22 PM
lol yeah I should have.

Scott
08-03-2003, 02:28 PM
You notice how people tend to hardcore roleplay around merchants too? Outside merchants, they never roleplay worth a damn, but as soon as a merchant pops up, they are off and running trying to act in character. This is either A. They think they'll get picked for an alter or B. they think they'll get an RPA.

By the way though, Balouga is the most fun to flirt with, even if you end up being killed for it.

Bobmuhthol
08-03-2003, 02:44 PM
I don't do that on quite that level, but I will tend to save my elite roleplay for GameMasters in any form and even some NPCs that I get mad at for responding to me. I don't expect an alter or a roleplaying award at all, it's just so much more fun to roleplay with someone who knows what roleplaying is.

StrayRogue
08-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Theres nothing wrong with Roleplaying to the best of your ability in any situation. If merchants bring it out...so be it.

Scott
08-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Theres nothing wrong with Roleplaying to the best of your ability in any situation. If merchants bring it out...so be it.

It's the reason they bring it out......

Hips
08-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Gemstone101
They think they'll get picked for an alter or B. they think they'll get an RPA.

Hahaha... Whirlin got an RPA last night from Sukara. :P

godShell
08-03-2003, 04:04 PM
There should be more RPAs given out. I can understand people wanting to impress a GM so they'll get noticed, and I can understand RPing with someone who knows what RP is. If more RPAs were awarded people probably wouldn't feel that a merchant is 'their special time' to earn an RPA. It's selfish, but people are selfish. I'd rather go to a merchant and find RP than go to one and find OOC. Also, flirting with GMs is kind of sick. You've seen what they look like in real life right? ;)

Artha
08-03-2003, 04:17 PM
I wish they could give those people negative RPAs...you know, so they absorb exp far slower for a long time.

Soulpieced
08-03-2003, 06:10 PM
RPA's only enforce hunting more and making the most out of the enhanced absorption.

Adhara
08-03-2003, 06:22 PM
I agree that the current RPA system is a contradiction and condones doing exactly the opposite of roleplaying. I never spent time to come up with reasonable alternatives but I know some excellent ideas to replace it with something more suitable would come from a general brainstorm.

Heck the first idea that comes to my mind is a set amount of exp/fame instead of an increased rate. It's not that great an idea but I think it's already better than the current system.

Back
08-03-2003, 06:35 PM
RPA's only enforce hunting more and making the most out of the enhanced absorption.

I can see your point on this, but don't RPAs just sit idle when there is no exp to absorb? I thought it meant a certain total amount of exp gets through at a faster than normal rate before the RPA stops?

Granted, it may enforce hunting, the primary way to advance, but dosen't it also encourage RP?

Artha
08-03-2003, 06:41 PM
RPAs are only in effect when there's exp in your head.

Scott
08-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Assuming it's a multiplier, you learn more the higher you mind is. So you want to keep your mind full when using your RPA, you never want your RPA to be working while you minded is low. If you could turn it on and off, that would work..... however to hunt, let your mind drop, then go hunt again with an RPA isn't using it's fullest.

Zacciwie
08-03-2003, 06:46 PM
One is a flat amount dumped into the bucket and the other is increased absorbtion rate (this one has a timer that starts when you get it (a small amount is dumped into the bucket to get it started)).... I think. I never paid much attention to how they work.

I'd like to see RPA's that you can turn on when you're ready to use them. Doesn't one of Simu's games have this? MO? H&X? I forgot.

[Edited on 8-3-2003 by Zacciwie]

Artha
08-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Alright, here's how RPAs work, just FYI. There's 4 types. 1 is a flat bonus to fame and exp. Types 2 and 3 are multipliers that last for 2 and 3 hours, respectively. You gain a little more fame and exp for each type. Type 4 gives you a huge bonus to fame and exp (You absorb more, faster, and then 'unfry' quicker too, for all of them) for 4 hours, then drops to a type 3 for 3 hours, then to a type 2 for 2 hours.

They are only in effect while you've got exp in your head, so there's no need to run out and hunt.

Scott
08-03-2003, 07:17 PM
<<<They are only in effect while you've got exp in your head, so there's no need to run out and hunt.>>>

Your missing the point, they are multipliers. If your fried you get (lets make it simple) 100 EXP per pulse. Now, you RPA is a 10x multiplier. So while your fried your getting 1000 EXP per pulse. Now, when your down to muddled. You make lets say 50 EXP per pause. Now with your RPA you get 500 EXP per pulse. So do you want to hunt and rest so you can RP, or do you want to stay out and hunt so you don't let your mind drop? I don't know about you, but I'd much rather keep making 1000 EXP per pulse for 2 hours then 500 EXP for 2 hours.

(Yes I know those stats are off)

Artha
08-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Alright, I see your point now. There's not really an easy solution for it, and it still encourages RP. There are lulls in events or whatever where there's time to hunt. That's when you use the RPA.

Edaarin
08-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Heh once during a system shutdown, I decayed, and when I assisted about it, they gave me my EXP back. Except they accidentally tacked on an extra 0, so it was You have been awarded 100000 experience points! instead of 10000. Got fixed pretty quick though.

Scott
08-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Heh once during a system shutdown, I decayed, and when I assisted about it, they gave me my EXP back. Except they accidentally tacked on an extra 0, so it was You have been awarded 100000 experience points! instead of 10000. Got fixed pretty quick though.

Once they were trying to give an AS boost to a GM I guess. Anyway, they put it on me somehow, I was giving someone a light swing in the park...... I have like a 30000 AS. Needless to say the guy died...... They pardoned me and gave me all my stuff back.

StrayRogue
08-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I've gotten a flat RPA this and last event.

Straight-up
08-04-2003, 04:36 PM
<<but I will tend to save my elite roleplay for GameMasters>>

You have elite RP? Damn you must be saving up all the time Bob, you never RP AT ALL when I see you. Mostly just act like a snert.

Straight

CrystalTears
08-04-2003, 05:18 PM
He says yes instead of yo. :D