PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion

TheEschaton
05-02-2004, 11:02 AM
I was fixskill-ing my characters yesterday, and I decided I want to get Animal Companion with my ranger (at the cost of MnS by 5 ranks).

I got a few questions....

a) Anyone know the basic (adjective) descriptions for companions? I know the noun and terrain-type of the companion I want, but "bushy tailed"? I'd rather look for a companion more suited to my style.

b) How does the general bonding go? Where do I get the food? Is it any food, or specific food?

Any/all help is appreciated, since Edaarin thinks rangers suck and thus is completely useless to me.

-TheE-

Hips
05-02-2004, 12:07 PM
A) If you try looking on the ranger boards on play.net, I know someone posted a list of all the descriptions available, and where to get them.

B) Michi will be getting her companion soon, so I've been looking here (http://www.resnullius.com/cc/guides/ACAffinity.html). It's basically a guide on how your affinity with your companion works. There's a little section on food, but it doesn't say anything about specific food.

Anebriated
05-02-2004, 12:48 PM
To be honest my companion was more along the lines of get it and forget about it. Im not sure how to answer your first question.

As to the second question, you need to walk around and sense in different areas of elanthia until you find the exact one you want. Once you find it you cast 630 at it to call it out, (get food on the hearthstone steps, its free) then if the one you called fits the description you like start feeding it and petting it. After a bit of the feeding and petting cast 630 on it again, if it is ready to be your companion it will bond to you.

Im not 100% sure on that anymore as I havent done it in awhile. If you have any questions post em or send me an IM and I can get the answer for you. also, Michiko, didnt we used to be roughly the same train? what happened?

Hips
05-02-2004, 01:10 PM
I doubt we were ever around the same train, and if we were... I'm sure you passed me pretty quickly. I hate hunting. Hate. Detest. So... I don't. Heh.

TheEschaton
05-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I did what you said, Elrodin, and it didn't work. I summoned it, fed it til it was "content".....and then tried to cast 630 at it. Nothing happened.

The play.net Notes on AC says I have to befriend it....but it left before I could do that....stupid thing. Now I have to wait an hour or something, before I can summon it again.

-TheE-

Nieninque
05-02-2004, 02:26 PM
you sense until you find one you want...prep 630 and then summon <creature>.

Spend a couple of minutes feeding and petting it and then when you are ready to do it, BEFRIEND <creature>. They eat anything that is edible.

Make sure you look at the creature to check it is the one you want, because once you befriend it, its yours. If it avian, check its description on the ground and in the air as it changes.

In terms of the picky parts of the description, if you find an animal similar to the one you want, move around that area and use sense until you find the one you want. The animals tend to be fairly close to others of the same kind.

Affinity is a strange thing. Most people I know who have feline companions struggle with affinity. Others didnt have to do anything and flew through the ranks.

There used to be a bug regarding tangleweed which is now sorted so it should be easier than before. I managed to get to undying loyalty in about 2 or 3 weeks by not doing much, just having him around.

And they love being healed by herbs. You dont need to worry about healing scars, just wounds and blood and they use the same herbs as for Characters

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Nieninque]

Anebriated
05-02-2004, 02:35 PM
I made it to undying in about a week, I was letting my migration go down by sitting on top of the west tower and my companion was with me. Just by sitting there my affinity went all the way up.

TheEschaton
05-02-2004, 03:58 PM
Alright, I befriended a companion. He won't seem to follow me though. I have to "tell companion to return" to get him to come anywhere near me. And he won't come inside town?

-TheE-

TheEschaton
05-02-2004, 04:54 PM
If I don't feed him, will I lose affinity? My devious mind wants to make a script for all this craziness.

-TheE-

TheEschaton
05-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Alright, this companion thing is driving me bat-shit crazy.

He won't follow, which means every time I stop, I have to TELL COMPANION TO RETURN

He won't go across town borders, even if it's outdoors. No wandering in town, I guess.

He's never NOT hungry.

He takes his sweet ass time getting/doing what I'm telling him to do. And supposedly, we're on FRIENDLY terms.

Gah.

Tell me all these things improve with affinity.

-TheE-

Stunseed
05-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Cast spells on your companion. Make it feel like you want to protect it.

Don't feed an animal chocolate. Feed it well.

Pet it, spend time with it, do things YOU'd like if you were someone's pet.

As your affinity grows, the faster your companion will acceed to your desires. As the owner of a cloudy grey puma, I knew I was going to have a finicky cat. I live with her, and love her, because she seriously kicks ass.

05-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Idle for about 5 straight days.

Anebriated
05-02-2004, 10:33 PM
heh, rangerD did the same thing i did. and for food grab some of the rabbit from hearthstone. If you have a companion then you most likely have enough fame to get there. Even if you dont there is food on the steps.

Ravenstorm
05-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Did they ever implement Spirit Servant too?

Raven

Snapp
05-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
Did they ever implement Spirit Servant too?

Raven

Yes, and it's horrible. I think I've used it once. All it does is LK you if you happen to die (which the servants have yet to be available anywhere I hunt) and pick up items.. 2 max.

Nieninque
05-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Companions dont like following you into sancts but they will track you there.

You shouldnt have to keep telling it to return though, they are a little slow sometimes at following you sometimes. Does it have little legs?

TheEschaton
05-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Alright - I think I got the hang of this AC thing. Thanks for all your help, folks. Now all I have to do is build affinity, and name him.

-TheE-

Parkbandit
05-17-2004, 08:54 AM
I just got my first companion as well... a sleek golden brown wolf. Not sure what to name her..

I didn't have the same problems as TheE had.. she comes, follows and everything. She eats kobolds up pretty quickly already.

How do you know your companions DS? I don't want to get her killed, but I would like to take her hunting. I realize I can spell her up, but as a ranger, I can only give her 602, 611 and 618.

Also.. any other 'hints' to gain the affinity quicker? Just spend time with her and pet/feed her? Is the message "the wolf growls with hunger" or something like that a simple script.. or does it mean she really is hungry? That bitch ate like 12 drumsticks and she was STILL hungry.

I'll have the biggest wolf of the lands at this rate.

TheEschaton
05-17-2004, 09:30 AM
I've found out that the hungry message doesn't indicate that you NEED to feed them, unlike, say, the lizards, because they're always hungry.

I made a script if you're interested. It pets the wolf (mine was a wolf too) every time someone dies (provided you have death messages on, and not going to a death window), and every time it does the hungry thing, it'll give it food, and if it doesn't have food, it'll go to the ranger guild and get it. It'll cast spells on the companion, when they drop, as well.

It would, of course, have to be adjusted to you, which would involve the look description of the wolf, the container you'd keep food in, and your guild password.

I've attached it, feel free to use it and edit it (which you *will* have to do). It involves hanging out with the wolf beyond the clump of trees on the way to Kai's Shrine (from outside N Gate: sw, w, s, sw, sw, s, w, w, u, n, go trees). Safe area, and not much traffic, and most importantly, outdoors.

-TheE-

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by TheEschaton]

TheEschaton
05-17-2004, 09:31 AM
And as a followup, my wolf did follow me and everything. The problem was impatience, I thought they ran on a Wizard Familiar like timer, but it doesn't.

-TheE-

Halfsilver
05-17-2004, 09:42 AM
It's not as complicated as it seems.

You don't have to feed your companion unless you wish to do so for RP purposes.

The only time you need to cast spells on it, is when you are taking it to a dangerous place where it will be aiding you in hunting...as in attacking monsters.

Other than that, the easiest and most efficient way to raise affinity is to idle with your AC by your side. After about a week of being ig next to the AC, your affinity will be at max and it is damned hard to cause it to fall at that point.

I havn't really found much use for my wolf besides when she helps me on teras. They are fun to RP with, though.

PS. OH and YES, everything does actually get better with increased affinity. Response time to orders, the time it takes for your AC to follow you...The amount of defense they provide when in 'guard' mode, and their attack ability. They will also go pretty much ANYwhere you tell them at max affinity. Theres a trick to get them into sancted areas. You have to tell them to track you into the area, they won't follow you.

[Edited on 5-17-2004 by Halfsilver]

Nieninque
05-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Anyone know what happens to afinity if the companion dies?

Anebriated
05-17-2004, 01:53 PM
goes down a notch

Celexei
08-08-2004, 12:36 PM
where exactly is the AC spot on the boards that tells what all of them are and where they can be found, if anyone has the link to that?

Artha
08-08-2004, 12:38 PM
goes down a notch

Doesn't it go down a ton? Like, to the point you won't be able to get another companion for a long time?

Nieninque
08-08-2004, 01:12 PM
you cant get another

if that one is killed you have to wait for it to forgive you then it comes back after a while.

Chaosmongler
08-24-2004, 06:52 AM
I had my ranger's companion die up on a greater ice giant avalanche in Mule, (If a giant dies in certain points, it causes an avalanche, have to run from that square).

Didn't even realize the little guy got hit until he came back, then ran off, leaving a trail of blood behind him. Apparently, he got a nasty bleeder and bled to death right in front of me.

At any rate, it took over five in-game hours for him to come back. He was pissed; however, upon arrival, the affinity was at the same notch (I believe it was the one before committment), and he'd still listen to my orders, etc.

I'm sure that getting him killed didn't help matters, but it didn't seem to hurt it too badly. I took my bird hunting nearly every time I went out, had him attack, had him guard, had him send messages, and still got 'undying loyalty' in about three weeks.

BTW, his defense is pretty wicked for a bird, over 300!

Maygog
08-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Chaosmongler
At any rate, it took over five in-game hours for him to come back. He was pissed; however, upon arrival, the affinity was at the same notch (I believe it was the one before committment), and he'd still listen to my orders, etc.

I'm sure that getting him killed didn't help matters, but it didn't seem to hurt it too badly.

The word notch does not mean losing a level of affinity....there are "notches" within each level. Getting him kileed hurts a bit but if you can find him before he dies and heal him you will gain a lot of "notches".

Maygog

Stunseed
08-28-2004, 08:38 AM
A cheat sheet for the mountain in Mule, as soon as you climb the butte to Olbin Pass, your companion is no longer safe. I have my Puma sit right before I climb it. As soon as you climb back down the butte, or the outcropping en route to Pinefar, your companion is once again safe.

Chaosmongler
08-29-2004, 02:30 AM
Ah, good to know, Stunseed.

Stunseed
08-29-2004, 02:37 AM
No problem. It's difficult because Olbin Pass is the real sweet spot for those Giants, and you're losing your companion for being there. Past the stairway, and down the outcropping, you lose your ability to hide.

Pick your poison, I spose. As powerful as my Guen is, I perfer hitting Olbin Pass using 608. 607 is also a very nice spell to utilize if your swing is just shy.

TheRoseLady
01-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Think this is the best place for this, since folks seem to like to ask about the benefits of various companions. My mink has only needed to aid me a few times, but today he really helped me out. I had forgotten that my travel script took me onto baesrukha, but I thought what the hell. Heh, I would have been toast had the mink not aided me.

You attempt to kick a baesrukha!
MB: 266 vs MB: 210 = 56 -- Gain advantage!
Moved into position.
THT 72, d100 roll: 33, modified: 89
and hits for 5 points of damage!
with a quick kick to the body.
Roundtime: 4 sec.
[Script]R> * Conform just bit the dust!
[Script]R>
A baesrukha closes her eyes and holds her palm out towards you!
CS: +209 - TD: +162 + CvA: +2 + d100: +93 - -5 == +147
Warding failed!
A baesrukha blasts you for 57 points of damage.
... 30 points of damage!
Flames cook your back. Feels about medium well.
You are stunned for 6 rounds!
You are knocked over by the blast!
Roundtime: 9 sec.
[Script]!PSR>
A baesrukha tries to bite you!
You evade the attack!
[Script]!PSR>
A leaf mink slashes his teeth at a baesrukha! Teeth rip and tear as they close on the baesrukha.
... 25 points of damage!
Slash strikes the baesrukha's left eye.
Seems there was a brain there after all.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the baesrukha's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
The baesrukha collapses to the ground in a motionless heap, sending a plume of dust up from her unwashed body.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding a baesrukha suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around a baesrukha.
A baesrukha appears somehow different.
The bright luminescence fades from around a baesrukha.
[Script]!PSR>kick baes
You are still stunned.
[Script]!PS>
A greater moor wight comes wandering in.
[Script]!PS>
A leaf mink slashes his teeth at a greater moor wight! The leaf mink's teeth score a deep runnel in the moor wight's skin!
... 15 points of damage!
Slashing strike near forehead nicks an eyelid!
That must sting!
[Script]!PS>
A greater moor wight swings a rusty steel flyssa at you!
AS: +252 vs DS: +215 with AvD: +30 + d100 roll: +83 = +150
kick baes
... and hits for 16 points of damage!
kick baes
Quick slash to your upper left arm!
Just a nick.
[Script]!P>A leaf mink slashes his teeth at a greater moor wight! The leaf mink's teeth score a deep runnel in the moor wight's skin!
... 15 points of damage!
Slashing strike near forehead nicks an eyebrow!
That must sting!
[Script]!P>

Snapp
01-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Nifty TRL. I didn't know companions could crit like that (not that I've seen many in action).