PDA

View Full Version : A death in the gemstone community.

Ilvane
08-03-2003, 11:22 PM
Here is the post from the official boards:

It is with deep regret that we announce the passing of a dear and loyal member of GemStone staff. Karen Hillyer (known as GM Aelsidhe by many, and Kali by her many player friends) passed on this evening at 6:00 PM Pacific as a result of her wishes for no heroic measures.

For several weeks she had been in and out of the hospital and recooperative
care, for liver problems.

As soon as we learn more information, and/or a place to send wishes to the
family or for the service, we will post them. In the mean time, those who wish to join the comfort of other friends may join us in Silverwood Manor's Great Hall. (Go to the Silverwood Manor Courtyard, go door, go marble arch, go north). We will keep the doors open as long as is necessary.

Melissa

[Edited on 8-4-2003 by Ilvane]

Artha
08-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Wow...that sucks.

Revalos
08-04-2003, 01:06 AM
That's a tough one. Its not as bad as the freak accidents in some ways, but knowing what kind of trouble she had to go through these last few months is just awful.

I only interacted with her on occasion, but she was a long standing community member, she will be missed.

CrystalTears
08-04-2003, 10:23 AM
I moved this thread from Gems simply because I consider the Gems folder to be about happy and good things, and a death I felt would be better in the News folder.

Prestius
08-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Kali was "the" ranger, whose sessions sittong on the Hearthstone Steps whittling carvings for people were legendary.

Aelsidhe was a twisted, funny, and fair GM who sent angry mothers to smack me in the head with frying pans for proportedly taking advantage of their daughters, and had the Illoke mock me when I died there. She also gave me some of the best "NO's" I've ever gotten in the game.

Karen, who I met in person a couple of times, was odd, eccentric and very cool lady with a wicked sense of humor and an unbelievable range of knowledge, both about the game and about the world. I only wish we'd arrange more get-togethers closer to where she lived.

We knew she had been in and out of the hospital for the past month so, and were told at one point to expect the worst, but hadn't heard much in the past few weeks. I assumed that no news was good news. Last night's news about her passing hit hard. It speaks volumes to see the list of players and GMs that showed up last night to pay their respects in game. From Sagan to Tedra to Ohr to Llearyn to Andy to Bardon. <sigh>

I miss her terribly already.

Sadly and respectfully,

-jon

Parkbandit
08-04-2003, 01:08 PM
She was one of the smartest people in the game. She had a way of cutting through all the bullshit to get to the essence of the problem and correct it.

I didn't know her too well, but when I did interact with her, I simply stood in awe of her.

Gemstone has lost one of it's best.

StrayRogue
08-04-2003, 06:40 PM
I never knew her, but she is one of "those" people. One of the people you read about and consider one of GS's history, one of the inner circle. I think what really hit it home for me was hearing Boom speak normally. It kind of brought the people out of the game and into reality, even if it was a reality created in a game. I've been thinking alot of it today, and I've resolved to try and be alot like her. In some horribly selfish way, I'd hope as many folk would come grieve my loss. But thats the human syndrome for you.

All my sympathy goes out to her family and friends and everyone who knew and loved her.