PDA

View Full Version : Question about e-mail and AOL

Artha
08-23-2003, 03:06 PM
What POP server and SMTP server does AOL use, and/or how do I find out?

CrystalTears
08-23-2003, 04:21 PM
I don't think AOL allows for you to use a third party email program. I think Eudora had that option once but it wouldn't give you the POP and SMTP information for setup. It's rather similar to Hotmail on Outlook. You can use Hotmail in Outlook but it's programmed in the software. AOL wants you to use either their software or the internet to access email.

If things have changed or someone does know a way, please let me know as well. I'm trying to ween my family away from AOL and if starting off by using a regular email program is the trick, then that's what I need to do. AOL is evil.

Artha
08-23-2003, 04:35 PM
Yep, I hate AOL. Mozilla FireBird is good (though you need your own connection) if they've got broadband. It's the Linux of browsers, except it isn't crap.

imported_Kranar
08-23-2003, 04:45 PM
za.mx.aol.com
zb.mx.aol.com
zc.mx.aol.com

Either one will work.

imported_Kranar
08-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Oh, and they don't have a POP server because you MUST be connected to an AOL server to check your e-mail.

If you're not connected to an AOL server, then you must use AOL Netmail.

Artha
08-23-2003, 04:53 PM
Oh, ok. Thanks.

Tendarian
08-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Not that i know much about computer stuff but i set up my aol mail to my netscape mailbox with IMAP,which isnt POP i know. But i really dont know the difference :)
imap.mail.aol.com

Neildo
08-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Yuck, e-mail programs suck. Nor can I stand checking my mail on crappy e-mail services like Hotmail, Yahoo, squirrel, or other similar garbage. It's so old and plain looking. It's also why while there's lots of good card players on MSN gaming zone, I don't play it because the card games are so low tech and have poor graphics, it's a flashback to the 80's with tandy or EGA graphics.

I love my AOL mail. Everything put into one without having to download and open tons of other programs at once. :P The only annoying thing about AOL though is their incapatability with many things due to them being so independant. You have to get specific soft/hardware that works for AOL only. But it's no problem since they're not lacking anywhere.

- N

Artha
08-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Except they're slow, and always have errors with mozilla, and have craptastic spam protection.

I'm trying to use Mozille ThunderBird, which won't have errors, is faster, and has wonderful (and customisable, so I can add people and messages that I want blocked) spam protection.