PDA

View Full Version : Acid Vials give acid flares to arrows?

DevonG
01-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Was told by a locksmith that he believes you can use acid vials to add acid flaring to arrows.

Anyone know if this is true?

If so, how do I go about doing such a thing?

waywardgs
01-23-2011, 01:40 PM
nope. You can throw em though.

Asha
01-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Funny though considering it would make total sense to be able to tie a vial of acid to something you can fire from a bow. Shame!

Anebriated
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Im guessing it was more along the lines of being able to pour a vial on a bundle and have them take on the flares sort of like eblade.

waywardgs
01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
It's something that's been discussed, just never implemented. There are a number of things they could do with those vials that would be neat, it's a shame the system hasn't been fleshed out a bit more.

Nilandia
01-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Funny though considering it would make total sense to be able to tie a vial of acid to something you can fire from a bow. Shame!
Actually, I'd think tying a vial of anything to an arrow would throw off its stability, making it an unreliable shot.

Gretchen

waywardgs
01-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Actually, I'd think tying a vial of anything to an arrow would throw off its stability, making it an unreliable shot.

Gretchen

True, but dipping the arrow in the vial makes sense to me.

And I'd love to see fire vials be made into asploding arrow bombs, i.e. rambo. That would be amazing in troll camps.

So many cool things you could do...

Asha
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Gretchen
Yeah that's why I didn't say tie it to an arrow :/ I agree.

True, but dipping the arrow in the vial makes sense to me.

And I'd love to see fire vials be made into asploding arrow bombs, i.e. rambo. That would be amazing in troll camps.

So many cool things you could do...
Dipping wood into a vial of acid? lol That would be funny if it was totally fine afterwards.

Anebriated
01-23-2011, 02:48 PM
i think itd have to be a "pour vial on arrows" type command over the dipping. make the number of "shots" per vial based on the rogues lmastery skill and/or difficulty of the box. an archer could pour a vial on 4 different bundles of 25 arrows to get a bundle of 100 to last longer like blessing/eblading. Would definitely be a cool upgrade to archery.

waywardgs
01-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Dipping wood into a vial of acid? lol That would be funny if it was totally fine afterwards.

Well, if you're going to be completely literal in a fantasy game, you're going to run into trouble for a number of different reasons.

That said, I'd think you'd be dipping the metal arrowhead in the vial anyway. Presumably all those metal acid flaring weapons aren't falling apart.

waywardgs
01-23-2011, 02:51 PM
i think itd have to be a "pour vial on arrows" type command over the dipping. make the number of "shots" per vial based on the rogues lmastery skill and/or difficulty of the box. an archer could pour a vial on 4 different bundles of 25 arrows to get a bundle of 100 to last longer like blessing/eblading. Would definitely be a cool upgrade to archery.

Agreed.

Asha
01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, if you're going to be completely literal in a fantasy game, you're going to run into trouble for a number of different reasons.

That said, I'd think you'd be dipping the metal arrowhead in the vial anyway. Presumably all those metal acid flaring weapons aren't falling apart.

Really not trying to be too literal. Don't forget I'm for the idea and think it should be possible. Also not everyone uses metal tipped arrows. They're currently a waste of time to make. It would be great if acid could be applied to them.

Edit: When I say waste of time to make I just mean for me. If you can't e-blade then yeah, go for them.

waywardgs
01-23-2011, 03:03 PM
In all honesty, I haven't fletched a single arrow since I mastered fletching. Eblading store bought arrows is just too convenient. In order for the fletching system to really mean something, it has to have more options to make it more appealing and worth the effort. Currently that's just not the case. I think tie-ins with the LFM system makes a lot of sense and would like to see it happen. The only reason I can see for fletching your own arrows is if you're really into the way they look. There should be mechanical benefits to it. Crit weighted arrowheads, damage weighted, choice of flares, that kind of thing..

Probably won't happen because the general perception is archery is powerful enough, but one can hope.

Anebriated
01-23-2011, 03:23 PM
let forgers make arrowheads which could open up the possibility of using razern or something for weighted arrows. Make the metal arrowheads a necessity in order to apply the poison. Ive been fletching my own arrows since fletching was introduced to the game(i was the first one taught in prime by the GM char). At the time just being able to make our own arrows was amazing, now... not so much. Would definitely be a good upgrade to the archery system. Lets flesh out more details and work on a proposal for it

Nilandia
01-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Crit weighted arrowheads have been done, I believe. I got a set of razern ones from a merchant at the 2006 Anfelt in Plat, but there was only one set handed out by the merchant as prizes for a game.

Gretchen

Asha
01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Would weighting to arrows even be that big a deal since they should be hitting the eye with puncture crits anyway? I've only hunted at cap with archery so I have no idea what the success / kill rate is at lower levels.

IorakeWarhammer
01-24-2011, 06:17 AM
how about a hollow glass arrowhead filled with acid that explodes on contact?

Asha
01-24-2011, 09:42 AM
how about a hollow glass arrowhead filled with acid that explodes on contact?

Word.

Sharnath
01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
I have one of the fletching razors that adds acid flares to master fletched arrows. It would make enough fletchings for 100 arrows and would need to be recharged.

Sharnath
Weed Mage

waywardgs
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I think fletching could be tied into four systems: locksmithing, foraging, forging, and alchemy. You could do tons with that. Want poison flares? Go forage up some poisonous plants. Want weighted arrows? Go forge some razern ones. Etc. There's limitless potential here.

mrjrd222
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
If the vials are enough to nearly instantly melt a large metal plate off a box, I doubt the acid wouldn't eat through the arrows that it's being poured on. Especially considering most people make their arrows out of magical wood and just whittle the wood down to a point, instead of putting on maybe a vultite arrowhead (which I could see not melting to that acid).

Asha
01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
I still like the glass arrowhead idea. Suppose you could change glass to glaes.

Gelston
01-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Glaes would make for a very heavy arrowhead.

Asha
01-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Glaes would make for a very heavy arrowhead.

Ahhh fuck.

Anebriated
01-24-2011, 07:59 PM
If the vials are enough to nearly instantly melt a large metal plate off a box, I doubt the acid wouldn't eat through the arrows that it's being poured on. Especially considering most people make their arrows out of magical wood and just whittle the wood down to a point, instead of putting on maybe a vultite arrowhead (which I could see not melting to that acid).

I see your point but its not like youre pouring the entire vial onto one arrowhead like you would the box. if a vial is enough for 100 arrows to dip just the tip(anyone want to play a game?) without ruining the arrow.

If you guys continue with the "glass" arrowhead idea you will probably have to accept the arrowhead shattering on impact and being unable to recover it or use it again until its been reapplied with a new arrowhead and more acid(currently not possible to attach a new arrowhead obv).

Asha
01-24-2011, 09:16 PM
I like the idea of the glass arrow shattering against armoured targets so the arrow does fuck all but the splash damage does against that area it hit / you aimed for.
If it hits against something with a low AsG it just does regular arrow damage and no acid since it didn't shatter the glass. So it's good for just one thing. Oh and yeah it shattered so it's one shot and then gone.