PDA

View Full Version : LP to mp3

Back
01-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Anyone done this yet? I have a stack of wax I want to convert to digital. Articles on the internets are very few. I’ve read the some Amazon.com reviews of some turntable to usb products... and blah blah blah.

Any insight would be appreciated. Everything will be reported when I make the plunge.

Sean
01-18-2011, 12:42 AM
I have one but the pain in the ass of it is that most of them don't play the music while its ripping and they don't separate songs well. It's been the problem with both of the ones I've tried. So you'll have to do a lot of editing down tracks when you're done.

Mogonis
01-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Why would you ruin vinyl by converting to mp3?

LMingrone
01-18-2011, 12:51 AM
Not worth it. Vinyls are meant to be played on a player. They can be converted, but the cost is not worth it, unless you have some REALLY RARE vinyls that can't be found on the net. If that's the case, find a vinyl player that can convert to whatever format. I still don't think it's worth the investment though. I ended up selling all my vinyls (800+) save a few.

Mogonis
01-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Before you spend money, search the Internet to see if anyone else has converted a vinyl to FLAC or something not awful.

Warriorbird
01-18-2011, 12:56 AM
Before you spend money, search the Internet to see if anyone else has converted a vinyl to FLAC or something not awful.

Best answer. I got some sweet Information Society FLAC.

Back
01-18-2011, 12:57 AM
I have one but the pain in the ass of it is that most of them don't play the music while its ripping and they don't separate songs well. It's been the problem with both of the ones I've tried. So you'll have to do a lot of editing down tracks when you're done.

I was curious about how software would rip the space between tracks like it does with CDs already. And if they don’t play through how can you adjust the levels?

Crap this is more complicated than I thought.

Sean
01-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Well like on the Sony that I have it just rips and then you have to go through and break out track by track if you don't want an MP3 of just an entire CD. The tech may have gotten better in the year or so since I got mine. Also the rips sound like vinyl even though they're digital so unless you're some purist I don't see the big deal.

LMingrone
01-18-2011, 01:00 AM
You could just put the spaces in yourself. No MP3 of FLA3 is ever going to sound like a vinyl though.

Back
01-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Well like on the Sony that I have it just rips and then you have to go through and break out track by track if you don't want an MP3 of just an entire CD. The tech may have gotten better in the year or so since I got mine. Also the rips sound like vinyl even though they're digital so unless you're some purist I don't see the big deal.

Gotcha.

Latrinsorm
01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Ever since I've been listening to water, vinyl just sounds like microchips in my ears, too digital.

Warriorbird
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Ever since I've been listening to water, vinyl just sounds like microchips in my ears, too digital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTsKEgUJyUQ

pabstblueribbon
01-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Using a computer you'll need a sound card that has analog inputs and some recording software.

I have a set up in my barn that goes from DAT, reel-to-reel, to a standalone CD burner and it works pretty good. I think it's still an analog input.

Oh, and don't record it with lossy compression like MP3 etc on the first go round. Get a good recording, save it as the masters, then compress them down from there till you get something you're happy with.

Crap. I was helpful. :(

Latrinsorm
01-18-2011, 12:43 PM
I thought for sure that was going to be the scene where the two guys are flying around over the lake and holding down+jump so they could bounce off the water on their swords, but I loved the scene you linked too AND the movie overall, and not just because I had a crush on Ziyi Zhang.