PDA

View Full Version : augmented breastplate v. half plate

LizardClan1
12-29-2010, 12:45 AM
I have some more important questions pending, with more posts to follow, but I thought I'd start with this one...

My paladin is currently wearing heavy damage padded 4x (+20) augmented breastplate, and is about to purchase a plain set of 5x (+25) half plate.

Assuming I have the training for RT, maneuver and hinderance (which I will), which of the following is best...

(1) heavy damage padded 4x (+20) augmented breastplate w/ leg greaves thrown on, or...

(2) 5x (+25) half plate

?

Thanks,
-LizardClan1
AIM: LizardClan1

Sile
12-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Personally I think your better off with the Aug Bp + greaves.

You'll gain a few points in reguards to AVD with the Half Plate, and 5 points on the ds equation. So say 8-10 points of bonus def. But you would lose the HDP.

Both will have the 11 point crit divisior on arms, legs and chest, and 9 point on head (if you use greaves).

I'd say go with he HDP.

DoctorUnne
12-29-2010, 01:38 AM
If you look at the damage factors of most weapons in plate, an 8-10 difference on the endroll will equate to a difference in damage of 1-2 at the most. HDP will reduce damage by 5-10, so the HDP is superior. Occasionally the half plate will save you a crit rank, but this will be extremely rare since the vast majority of your hits will only be rank 1 crits anyway even in the ABP.

LizardClan1
12-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the responses... And sorry for the following newb question...

I'm gunna go with the 4x (+20) padded augmented breastplate, plus some leg greaves.

Does the enchant on the leg greaves matter? I know spikes/flares matter, but not sure about the enchant.

Thanks,
-LizardClan1

Blushy
12-29-2010, 07:46 AM
The enchantment on your greaves doesn't matter; they could be "some arm greaves" from the town armorer or "veil iron vambraces of doom" and your DS would be the same.

dacatchman
12-29-2010, 04:30 PM
It's really a preference thing, I think. Either way is viable.

I like accessories myself. I got some 4x max lightened augmented plate, self enchanted them with my wizzy to 5x (felt lazy doing 6 or 7, guh), and then had them altered to my liking.

I'll prolly add padding to it at some point.

I found a heavy damage padded scripted helmet to protect my brain and some puncture resistant greaves for my legs.

The nice thing about accessories is they can be padded/flaring/spiked and what not. On the other hand, a padded set of fullplate is mechanically superior in most ways (accessories get half padding from the base piece -- but on the other hand they can have their own special properties).

Just make sure to keep your head covered and your arms covered. Once you get those wounded your hunt is pretty much over. No casting or looting of critters is annoying.

Padded Aug is good for the arms. Get a padded helmet, too.

LizardClan1
12-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I think I understand the answer to another question that arose...

If I'm going w/ 4x HDP aug br w/ leg greaves, my legs are only SWDP?

Still better than 5x half plate.

Thanks,
-LizardClan1

dacatchman
12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
I think I understand the answer to another question that arose...

If I'm going w/ 4x HDP aug br w/ leg greaves, my legs are only SWDP?

Still better than 5x half plate.

Thanks,
-LizardClan1

Right, accessories get half padding protection of the base piece.

LizardClan1
12-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Right, accessories get half padding protection of the base piece.

I got lucky and found some decent damage padded leg greaves for cheap.

So: HDP aug br w/ decent DP leg greaves means i'll get the average of heavy and decent damage padding on my legs, no?

Thanks,
-LizardClan1

Riltus
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
I got lucky and found some decent damage padded leg greaves for cheap.

So: HDP aug br w/ decent DP leg greaves means i'll get the average of heavy and decent damage padding on my legs, no?

Thanks,
-LizardClan1

No!

Padded partial armor provides full body coverage. With heavy damage padded augmented breastplate ALL body locations have HDP protection. When adding armor accessories with the same type of padding only the highest level of padding will apply. The decent damage padded leg greaves are unnecessary since the legs already have HDP protection. A plain set of leg greaves are sufficient to gain plate protection and still have HDP leg coverage.

Padding is only halved when the armor accessory has dissimilar padding (crit padded leg greaves with damage padded torso armor) or is enhanced. If you added heavy crit padded leg greaves to your heavy damage padded ABP you would have HDP everywhere except the legs. The legs would have somewhat damage and somewhat crit padding level coverage.

Mark

Jace Solo
12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Hmm, I thought adding any type of accessory halved the padding. If I wore some just for fluff it would halve the padding, right? I didn't think it mattered the specs of the accessories.

Riltus
12-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Hmm, I thought adding any type of accessory halved the padding. If I wore some just for fluff it would halve the padding, right? I didn't think it mattered the specs of the accessories.

No, that is incorrect.

Armor Accessory & Padding Changes - REVISIONS Release Date: 5/31/2005
GS4-RELEASES: This information regards a new system or software release in GemStone IV.
General Info: In response to player concerns, we have modified our previous changes to the padding system:

Padded partial armor has been restored to allow its padding to give full protection to partially covered areas by default. If an armor accessory with the same type of padding is worn over top of either full coverage or partial armor, then only the highest level of padding will apply. For example, lightly damage padded full plate in combination with a heavily damage padded helm would result in heavy damage padding on hits to the head and light damage padding on every other type of hit.

If padded armor is combined with specially enhanced armor accessories (or vice versa), then the previously announced system of averaging bonuses will continue to be used. Specially enhanced armor includes: differing types of padding (i.e. combining damage and critical padding on a hit location), armor that is resistant to specific damage types, blessed armor, TD enhancing armor, flaring armor, and spiked armor.

Mark

Jace Solo
12-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks Mark. So then if it has any special qualities outside of being fluffy it halves the padding. Not taking the enchant of the accessory into count.

LizardClan1
01-01-2011, 11:26 AM
yeah, thanks, Mark. that clears that one up for me.

somewhat damage padded & somewhat crit padded leg greaves sound awesome to me. i'll check to see what's available.....

James

LizardClan1
01-16-2011, 03:46 PM
padding and flares don't usually go together, so I thought I'd ask this question...

What if I'm wearing heavy damage padded augmented breastplate w/ flaring leg greaves?

Will my legs be somewhat damage padded, plus I get flares?

Thanks,
-LizardClan1