View Full Version : Fashioncore

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Please, shoot me now...

Women's jeans inspire new trend: 'Fashioncore'
Fad grows among hardcore music scene

By Natalie Naquin, Revelry Writer
March 15, 2004

Photos by AUTUMN WOOD / The Reveille 'Cause i'm worth it': Danny Farber sports the latest in men's fashion: girl pants for guys.

It is not uncommon for fashion trends to reflect the style of music a person listens to. One of these trends -- males wearing female jeans -- not only evinces the type of music these men listen to, but it is also a characteristic of an entire fashion scene.

"Fashioncore" is the term that describes those who wear girl jeans -- at least that is what they call it.

"It's just a scene thing," said Brandon Sheridan, who is a self-proclaimed fashioncore scenester. "You've got the black hair over one eye, the white belt, the girl pants, the converse -- it's the 'scene' thing to do."

"The scene" refers to the national hardcore music scene.

Hardcore, as defined by Travis Leblanc, an English freshman, is a type of music with a couple of distinctions from metal. There is a chugging beat, which you dance to, "crazy" tunings with many dissonant chords, and a screamer, a singer who can "growl and shout his head off."

Bands such as Norma Jean, Through the Eyes of the Dead, and Reflux are considered hardcore.

Leblanc broke down the definition of fashioncore.

"There are two divisions of hardcore," Leblanc said. "Fashioncore and tough-guy hardcore. Fashioncore is more image-oriented. Same music [as tough-guy hardcore], different look."

The look he describes is common among students. Walking around the quad, it is easy to spot someone wearing girl jeans, a "super-tight hoodie," and a bandana in their back pocket.

Ryan Warden

Also common among fashioncore style is a white belt to go with the female pants, although this is usually only popular among those who like grindcore.

"Grindcore is another style of music," Leblanc said. "It's really out there, spastic, crazy -- people who like grind usually wear the belt."

Most of the girl-pant wearing few claim how comfortable girl pants are as opposed to men's jeans.

"They're so comfortable and I feel so good in them," said Danny Farber, a 20-year-old girl pants enthusiast at The Furnace music venue. "They show my figure off better. Guy pants just don't do it for me."

Sheridan agrees with Warden, although there is one stipulation.

"They're actually more comfortable than guy pants -- as long as you wear tighty-whities," he said.

The reasoning behind guys wearing girl pants could be because of the feeling of belonging to a group, and recognizing those who share the same musical tastes.

"It's predominately a hardcore thing," Leblanc said. "Nine people out of 10, if you see them wearing girl pants, they like hardcore. You're walking down the street, you see a guy wearing girl pants, you know what it's all about. They're into hardcore."

Julie Reboul, a philosophy freshman, enjoys spotting guys wearing girl pants.

"Boys in girl pants make me blush," she said. "I love it. I think it's the hottest thing in the whole world."

The main reason for girl pants, coincidentally, is the comfort factor.

"They're a lot more comfortable," Leblanc said. "Especially the stretch kind. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't make guy pants the same. They get a little tight in the crotch every now and then, but that's to be expected."

http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/03/15/405563981f51f

Hips
04-22-2004, 10:08 AM
...I need to mail this to my ex. He wears a pair of women's vinyl pants once in a while when we go to the goth/industrial club in New Haven, and we all rag on him for it. Haha.

<3 Bill for posting the link.

Wezas
04-22-2004, 10:13 AM
I don't think I'll be rocking any capri's anytime soon

Latrinsorm
04-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I can see Peam dressed in girl clothes. Lolz.

AnticorRifling
04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Seriously this is going to cause a shortage of size 16+ jeans....

Ambrosia
04-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Guys have been wearing girl jeans for a long time. A lot of guys (mostly asian) I know that are into the rave/club scene wear flared womens jeans. Damn them, they jeans look better on them than they do most chicks.

[Edited on 4-22-2004 by Ambrosia]

ThisOtherKingdom
04-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
I can see Peam dressed in girl clothes. Lolz.

Damn you, you beat me to it!

peam
04-22-2004, 03:56 PM
I'll stick with panties, thanks.

DeV
04-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by peam
I'll stick with panties, thanks.
Would you consider a thong :?:

Skirmisher
04-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Peam has those childbearing hips and all.

Satira
04-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Actually, Peam listens to grindcore. So I think that means he has to buy girl skateboards.

J-Tech
04-22-2004, 10:13 PM
I use to wear big raver jeans, dont know if thats what your refering to Ambrosia but i had a few pairs that had flared opens one pair had 68" openings at the bottom, and a couple other pairs i had, had like 48" flares on the bottom of em.

J.T.

Artha
04-22-2004, 10:19 PM
Actually, Peam listens to grindcore. So I think that means he has to buy girl skateboards.

And a white belt for his girl pants.

Also, wtf kind of shoes do you wear with those? Shoes are an essential part of the outfit.

Satira
04-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Probably high heels.

Chyrain
04-23-2004, 01:02 AM
i've worn men's jeans for as long as i can remember. I dunno, they just make my ass look better.

but can I just say? fashioncore sounds lame. how hardcore can someone be when they're "image conscious." let me throw up rock fist right now and slam me with that fashion core. rawr. :rolleyes:

Ambrosia
04-23-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by J-Tech
I use to wear big raver jeans, dont know if thats what your refering to Ambrosia but i had a few pairs that had flared opens one pair had 68" openings at the bottom, and a couple other pairs i had, had like 48" flares on the bottom of em.

J.T.

Like Kikwear? Yeah, I got those too. I was big time into the rave scene.

I'm talking like actual flares. Jeans that fit the hip, ass, thighs, knees and then they flare out at the ankles. I wish I had all my old pictures from when I used to go clubbing, I'd show you.

04-23-2004, 02:17 AM
Man, I miss the 80s. The more a man looked like a female, the better his probability of receiving female appreciation was increased exponentially.

Chyrain
04-23-2004, 02:23 AM
I'm talking like actual flares. Jeans that fit the hip, ass, thighs, knees and then they flare out at the ankles. I wish I had all my old pictures from when I used to go clubbing, I'd show you.

I remember a time when those kinds of pants were called *gasp* "bellbottoms"

my sister has a pair of pants that look like she snagged them right off of Greg Brady but she denies it vehemently. Of course, most 17 year olds are oblivious to anything that happened before 1997...

Do they do that really neato new dance at these "raves?" You know...the hustle?

Ambrosia
04-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Heh, kikwear pants with 68" openings aren't even close to flares. Basically if you're a chick, the waist usually hangs about your hips, and from the thigh down to the ankle the pant legs continue to flare out. My largest pair probably weigh about 5 pounds, and I could make three or four pairs of regular jeans with them. I :heart: them though. I'll find a pic of a pair.

Ambrosia
04-23-2004, 02:29 AM
Here's an idea. They look much better on... :lol:

Chyrain
04-23-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Ambrosia
Here's an idea. They look much better on... :lol:

good freakin' lord. you could house a small village in your pants.

Ambrosia
04-23-2004, 02:38 AM
LMAO.... yeah, the look on my moms face was priceless the first time she ever saw me in a pair. :whistle: Those were the days.

peam
04-23-2004, 08:00 AM
Those pants are ridiculous, as are most kids that wear/wore them.

The essential "scene" shoes are Converse Chuck Taylor's, which have to look like they've been dragged through hell, and Artha is correct about the white belt.

And what does grindcore have to do with skateboards?

Artha
04-23-2004, 06:39 PM
The essential "scene" shoes are Converse Chuck Taylor's, which have to look like they've been dragged through hell, and Artha is correct about the white belt.

Chuck Taylors and chick pants? No thx.

Souzy
04-23-2004, 06:46 PM
I actually know one guy that wears women's jeans.

P.S. Vihn I want my boot cut jeans back. :smilegrin: