PDA

View Full Version : Spell Idea: Empathic Tug (1140)

Fallen
12-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Empathic Tug (1140)
Duration: 10 Minutes, Refreshable

By heightening and projecting their innate sense of empathy, the Empath is able to potentially dissuade would-be attackers. Should the target come under the effects of this spell, his oncoming attack will be aborted entirely. As the attacker must be in close contact with the Empath, only melee attacks and close-quarters maneuvers are affected by this spell. Ranged and thrown attacks, as well as spells are not affected. Empathic Tug's effects can only work on creatures capable of emotion. As the undead are normally able to feel only hatred and rage they mount a significant resistance to the spell's effects, while magical constructs such as golems are completely immune.

Empathic Tug has an activation chance of 10% + (Mental Mana Control bonus/20)

Empathic magic of this nature is synergistic, and grants beneficial effects to the spells of Empathy (1108), Cry for Help (1116), Empathic Link (1117), and Sympathy (1120). When Empathic Tug is active, casts of Empathy, Empathic Link, and Sympathy will be granted a slight to moderate TD pushdown on all applicable targeted foes. This variable TD pushdown is increased by training in Mental Lore: Telepathy. Cry for Help has been updated to allow for the spell to be activated under extreme duress, and when used in conjunction with Empathic Tug, the spell will provide a short-lived increase in the chance of Empathic Tug's activation. While the standard effects of Cry for Help can be used continuously by the Empath, due to its taxing nature the synergistic activation can only be used once per hour.

Thoughts?

pabstblueribbon
12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
The name sounds like a handy. :jerkit:

Fallen
12-14-2010, 11:30 AM
The idea is to provide a spell worthy of the 40th level slot, while making other spells like Cry for Help actually be useful. Empathic Link is pretty terrible, but with a big enough TD pushdown an Empath might actually bother casting it. Empathy seems decent, but without a mass form of the spell it too is pretty pointless.

Fallen
12-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Yeah. It is an old term given to the effect undead evoke from COL people from time to time. The recent discussion concerning it reminded me of this idea.

ryan123
12-21-2010, 05:27 AM
while making other spells like Cry for Help actually be usefu

audioserf
12-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Tell me more about your locksmithing services, I'm intrigued.

Drew
12-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I didn't read the description, does this let an empath at a sex party rub out more than two guys at once? I know a lot of empaths who would love that ability.

Danical
12-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Higher base chance to activate.

I'm not a fan of high level spells with shitty base success/outcomes except with specific training in controls/lores/etc.

Fallen
12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Higher base chance to activate.

I'm not a fan of high level spells with shitty base success/outcomes except with specific training in controls/lores/etc.

This spell's activation rate mirrors Temporal Reversion, which is seen as a worthwhile spell. The spell augmentation would also be 100%. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the activation rate. I simply went with something that has already been approved. It looks like a 20% chance of activation is pretty standard. Look at Wall of Thorns, which is a flat 20%.

Danical
12-21-2010, 01:44 PM
This spell's activation rate mirrors Temporal Reversion, which is seen as a worthwhile spell. The spell augmentation would also be 100%. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the activation rate. I simply went with something that has already been approved. It looks like a 20% chance of activation is pretty standard. Look at Wall of Thorns, which is a flat 20%.

I don't disagree with 20% activation. I mean to say, have it be something like 15% base and less influence from MMC. I think additional training should equate to 25 to 75% increase in the current function of the spell. More on that below. Immolation is another spell that I think is very seriously poorly designed.

Another example is how Tonis is constructed with only -1 RT base but trainable to -3 total from 75 Air Lore. You get 200% more benefit from Lore training than the standard of the spell. I think it should be -2 base and trainable up to -3 and each rank of Air Lore would give an additive proportional chance (45 ranks = 45/75 = 60%) chance to gain that extra -1 instead of this jump between rank thresholds (i.e., additional -1 @ 30 ranks, -2 @ 75 ranks ). Ultimately, thresholds promote fixskilling instead of constant progression/training toward a goal, which I don't think is good design. Thresholds only work for "unlocking" certain abilities of a spell, not a current function of a spell that's being augmented.

Fallen
12-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Fair enough. Lore implementation is pretty spotty across the board. I just throw out ideas I think are interesting and have a chance of getting approved. I'm not good enough with numbers to attempt to argue the logic of most mechanics, i'm afraid.

audioserf
12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I think this is a cool idea and has an "empath" feel to it, but agree with Danical about activation base. I'm 2x'd MMC on my hunter empath so I dig the idea to base it on that. Maybe name it "Remorse" instead to remove the potential for handjob connotations.

Malvadere
12-23-2010, 12:50 PM

1150: Sympathy Fuck