PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee Planning a Run

ClydeR
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
DES MOINES, Iowa -- Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said Sunday that Iowa voters likely launched a national movement when ousting three state Supreme Court justices who agreed with a decision to strike a ban on gay marriage.

Huckabee was in Des Moines courting evangelical conservatives who pushed him to victory in Iowa's leadoff precinct caucuses in the last election.

More... (http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2010/11/huckabee_lauds_ousting_of_iowa.html)

Huckabee spoke to more than 1,000 evangelicals gathered at a massive church in Des Moines. The gathering marked the merger of a series of evangelical groups into a single organization known as The Family Leader, to be headed by veteran activist Bob Vander Plaats.

The merged group likely will play a crucial role in Iowa's Republican politics, as the campaign for the state's precinct caucuses begins to warm. And the former Baptist minister Huckabee is moving quickly to court the activists.

He noted that he's in a much different place than four years ago, when he said he was "an asterisk in the polls."

"This time in most of the national polls I'm either at the top or near the top and that certainly is a different position to be in," he said.

Huckabee said he wasn't sure about a timetable for reaching a decision, but it's likely that potential Republican candidates will begin making their intentions clear early next year. "Ask me in six months and I'll have a clearer answer," he said.

His message to evangelicals was that issues like stable and traditional marriage are economic ones, because they relate to the health of society.

"People who think of them as only peripheral social issues clearly have not done much depth of research and understanding of the economic impact of broken families," he said.

I'm torn between Huckabee and Palin. It's hard to say which would be the better president.

It's really cool how family values are applicable and adaptable to every situation. Economic issues are hot now, and Huckabee explains how it is an economic issue.

Methais
11-22-2010, 12:32 AM
I haven't watched it in quite a while, but Huckabee tries so hard to be cool on his Fox show that I almost feel bad for him.

Don't really know much about him overall, but he seems like a nice guy.

Hopefully one day a real conservative candidate will step up that realizes people don't give a fuck about the stupid social issues like homo marriage, abortion, etc., and just stick to real issues like the economy and foreign policy.

Delias
11-22-2010, 12:36 AM
I haven't watched it in quite a while, but Huckabee tries so hard to be cool on his Fox show that I almost feel bad for him.

Hopefully one day a real conservative candidate will step up that realizes people don't give a fuck about the stupid social issues like homo marriage, abortion, etc., and just stick to real issues like the economy and foreign policy.

You don't understand. If the gays get married, it will change the economy by setting a standard of dual incomes!

4a6c1
11-22-2010, 12:40 AM
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY

That.

Methais you look quite fetching in a suit.

Paradii
11-22-2010, 02:08 AM
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY

That.

Boooo

Methais
11-22-2010, 03:22 AM
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY

That.

Thank you. I think it compliments my floppy ears quite well.

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 09:02 AM

Have you watched that fox special on conservatism? It is pretty informative. Pretty much Nixon fucked up the Republican party in so many ways its sickening. He was a full blown liberal who alienated conservatives away from the Republican party which is what caused alot of people to go independent and the formation of the libertarian party. In a nutshell he opened the door for 'liberal' Republicans with both Bushes following suit.

Jace Solo
11-22-2010, 09:47 AM
I often wonder how George Washington and the first 3-5 presidents would reflect on the goals of their parties at the time verse the goals of said parties now. I believe that most would be lumped into the right wing simply on religious belief alone however I wonder what their stances really would have been on the periferial social issues.

Do you think they were that much of politicians at that point that they would allow these things in order to get elected or do you think there is so much separation between our founders and who we are today that it wouldn't matter?

I honestly feel like the only president that was truly altruistic about the position was Washington. He didn't want the job, took it only to secure the existence, was a military general before and seemed to be one of the most upstanding men the country has ever known. I believe Lincon was a close second but still far less impressive.

Discusss.

Firestorm Killa
11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
I often wonder how George Washington and the first 3-5 presidents would reflect on the goals of their parties at the time verse the goals of said parties now. I believe that most would be lumped into the right wing simply on religious belief alone however I wonder what their stances really would have been on the periferial social issues.

Do you think they were that much of politicians at that point that they would allow these things in order to get elected or do you think there is so much separation between our founders and who we are today that it wouldn't matter?

I honestly feel like the only president that was truly altruistic about the position was Washington. He didn't want the job, took it only to secure the existence, was a military general before and seemed to be one of the most upstanding men the country has ever known. I believe Lincon was a close second but still far less impressive.

Discusss.

I think that there is a huge disconnect because now alot of politicians see it as a career, where as many of the founders seem to have seen it as a duty or service. On top of that alot of modern day politicians see the constitution as an obstacle to overcome rather then govern by. If the founders saw what the nation has become they would probably turn over in their graves. But yeah Washington was a great president, as was Lincoln. I believe that there will be a great president soon, but I do not believe it is anyone who will be on the ticket in 2012. More then likely it will come from the tea party.

Latrinsorm
11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Do you think they were that much of politicians at that point that they would allow these things in order to get elected or do you think there is so much separation between our founders and who we are today that it wouldn't matter?I think they specifically intended the electoral college to get around these sort of issues. You really get the best of both worlds: you can call yourself a republic without having to bother with what Joe Plebian thinks about you or your policies. It's not really feasible to keep that going these days, though.
I honestly feel like the only president that was truly altruistic about the position was Washington. He didn't want the job, took it only to secure the existence, was a military general before and seemed to be one of the most upstanding men the country has ever known. I believe Lincon was a close second but still far less impressive.No love for Eisenhower?