PDA

View Full Version : GH's

Scott
07-31-2003, 02:33 AM
Is it just me or when a GH comes into a room and says "Hi, I'm Game Host soandso, I'm here to answer you assist request. How can I help you today." find it annoying. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to whisper, or something. I was in the park and a GH pops up and says it outloud, just kind of annoyed me, which is pretty easy at 2:30AM..... GH's popping in and out of rooms saying crap like that is some of the most OOC things in the game.

StrayRogue
07-31-2003, 05:30 AM
Sometimes they do whisper.

Drew2
07-31-2003, 08:18 AM
He's a GM, but yesterday Illusion appeared silently and whispered if he could have a word with me. Not all burst into the room announcing themselves with some fanfare.

Ilvane
07-31-2003, 09:11 AM
Yeah, Illusion rocks..:)

-A

Artha
07-31-2003, 03:01 PM
For what it's worth, I think that it's part of their command to poof to you. That's simply because it's always the same, and always pretty speedy.

Scott
07-31-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Artha
For what it's worth, I think that it's part of their command to poof to you. That's simply because it's always the same, and always pretty speedy.

I'd say it's a macro, which they can easily change to whisper. Since I've seen some whisper or keep it quiet, while others burst into any room and say it outloud.

Bestatte
07-31-2003, 05:26 PM
I don't know the code for it in GS, but a GM can do the same thing in Inferno. The "poof" thing you see is just a default, the GM can change it to anything he wants, or show up silently with no echo whatsoever. Silent mode it's called in some games, invis in others.

Whatever it's called, it -can- be done, because the GMs can and do watch you sometimes while invis and you don't know they're there til they come out.

I'd like to see it a game policy for staff members to <send> to you saying that your assist is up, and add a feature to "report-to" the specific GM, which would work similar to "think to" on the amunet.

That way you can tell the staffer that you're ready to be poofed OUT of the game and into a consultation lounge where you can consult and discuss the situation without half the city looking in.

There is no reason, ever, for a staff member to show up in the player's area of the game *as* a staff member. By doing this, they are promoting OOC and reinforcing the idea that roleplay is not the main focus of the game.

GMs aren't "the gods" of Elanthia. They are the staff members of Simutronics, which doesn't exist in Elanthia. When the Simu staff stops bringing OOC stuff into the game, maybe the players will think twice about doing it as well.

Artha
07-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Whatever it's called, it -can- be done, because the GMs can and do watch you sometimes while invis and you don't know they're there til they come out.

Actually, they can watch from their offices, no need to follow you.

There is no reason, ever, for a staff member to show up in the player's area of the game *as* a staff member. By doing this, they are promoting OOC and reinforcing the idea that roleplay is not the main focus of the game.

Showing AS and CS formulas is also OOC. Should they be removed? REPORTing and ASSISTing are OOC ways to solve IC problems.

GMs aren't "the gods" of Elanthia.

Yeah...I hate it when people call them gods.

When the Simu staff stops bringing OOC stuff into the game, maybe the players will think twice about doing it as well.

If you believe that, you're pretty naive. You can't stop idiots from being idiots by surrounding them with books.

Scott
07-31-2003, 05:58 PM
<<REPORTing and ASSISTing are OOC ways to solve IC problems.>>

They are also ways to solve OOC problems as well, which is why they are there in the first place.

Warriorbird
08-01-2003, 01:28 AM
I hate it most when people, flirt, carry on, and notice them. It's even worse when Aemergin invited Bardon to Bardfest. Made a mockery of standards.

GSdee
08-01-2003, 11:01 AM
And it's such a great example when a GH shows up at a merchant, and the merchant interacts with her.

Happened at Yartan's tent this week when Hunterleigh "poofed" in.

Dighn Darkbeam
08-01-2003, 02:07 PM
I find this true as well. While Reporting and Assisting are important aspects of the game, having a GM pop in and spout his little script is very disruptive to those not involved. I have seen great interations stop dead in their tracks because someone either involved or simply in a room had an Assist answered.

Does anyone really see a reason for the GM's character to appear at all? Couldnt they just correspond through a private chat channel that no one else sees or hears? People dont Assist when they wish to Roleplay. No need to interact with the character really.

I guess some people wouldnt like this because they couldnt give smoochies and huggies or what have you all throughout their help session.

Kris na Su'ta

Bestatte
08-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Someone agrees with me...I'm gonna have a fuckin heart attack.

:bouncy: