PDA

View Full Version : Response to Priorities Poll, "RSN" Plans, and Simucon

SiKWiDiT
04-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Based on the results of our recent polls focusing on priorities, we are rescheduling our plans for our November Promotion, "Releases Spectacular (in November)." We are still in the early stages of planning and it will be at least another couple of weeks before we have anything solid.

Because that timing coincides so well with SimuCon, we've decided to announce our November schedule during SimuCon. We had previously planned three systems seminars: Paladins, Monks and Unarmed Combat, and Breakage. Because these seminars may not be as timely after we reschedule our November releases, we will be replacing them with three different seminars. The topics of these seminars will be announced during the State of Elanthia seminar at SimuCon. Those who are unable to attend SimuCon may tune in to "Radio Free SimuCon" on Friday for an hour and a half show covering these new systems.

Once SimuCon is over, we'll release the Novemeber schedule on the web and will discuss it here in the forums.

Melissa

Artha
04-20-2004, 12:48 PM
I'll tell you guys what the seminars will be after the State of Elanthia...remember, you'll hear it here first.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-20-2004, 12:49 PM
In other words, based on the poll, our priorities were so fucking far out of line with what people actually WANTED, we decided to delay yet again announcing anything at all, that way when NOTHING gets done, no one can complain.

Artha
04-20-2004, 12:54 PM
In other words, they're responding to what people want. How dare they!

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-20-2004, 12:56 PM
How the fuck can you say that? They haven't responded to shit.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Whoops, my bad. They HAVE. They responded by delaying anything saying they are doing anything!

Artha
04-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Not announcing what they're working on and not working on it are two different things, thanks.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-20-2004, 01:05 PM
You have insight into the company that everyone else doesn't? Pray tell, he of the chia pet haircut, what is it that they are doing then?

SiKWiDiT
04-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
Pray tell... what is it that they are doing then?

Bullshitting, same as ever.

Sente
04-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Simu doesn't have a clue what the players want. Or even more likely doesn't care. The poll is useless though. The results will just happen to coincide what with they want to work on anyhow. And then they will tell us that is what we wanted!

Artha
04-20-2004, 01:10 PM
You have insight into the company that everyone else doesn't?

No. However, I do have an instinctive urge to defend Simutronics and its products. It's spooky, I know.

Generally, however, they start working on things way before they announce them.

Simu doesn't have a clue what the players want. Or even more likely doesn't care. The poll is useless though. The results will just happen to coincide what with they want to work on anyhow. And then they will tell us that is what we wanted!

This is possibly the stupidest thing I have read this month. Congrats.

[Edited on 4-20-2004 by Artha]

Kitsun
04-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Some people must be nuts or just stuck on conspiracy theories.

Simutronics may or may not be directly connected to the needs and wants of its customer base but I certain DO see an effort to try to connect.

Can you really name any other companies that have the active message board and polls to try to discern the issues? I wouldn't wish that job on someone I hated.

The needs/wants of any ONE person will never coincide with the many. They've made a TON of changes to the game, many for the better, a few for the worse. I'm definately seeing an improvement over GSIII.

If you believe that a company, thats main goal is to make money, has a primary objective to: PISS U OFF
Then: You need to take a step back and go to a shrink because you are somewhat disturbed, your vision distorted and your mentality demented.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-20-2004, 01:25 PM
I don't believe they have an objective to piss me off. I believe they have no clue, no program management, no customer service, no business planning, no clear long term plans and their vessels for communicating these things, blows.

Thats all. I love their product, too bad it's so poorly run.

DeV
04-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Thats Simu's main fault, no customer service, no idea how to please the "majority" of the customer's they serve.
I too, like their product, however, I also feel that their "business" is more of a game to them then it is to us.

Kitsun
04-20-2004, 01:49 PM
No customer service...Can you please elaborate? Last I checked, there were ingame methods to get help, website support, email support and support over the phone. I've had to deal with most of the methods and have gotten my problems taken care of. Whats missing? What would YOU be doing differently?

I will contend that the "Not serving the majority" is just a perceptual problem. The loud people on any of the boards represent a very small segment of GS's population and I'd wager these are the long term, hard-core players. Their more substancial consumer base is probably composed of people that play on and off and their wants and needs are under-represented on the boards. In light of Melissa's posts, the boards outcry of demands were *not* inline with what people voted for in the polls.

Suppa Hobbit Mage - What other vessels of communication would you recommend? How would you syphon information to such a diverse population of users? They use the website, the message boards and ingame news.

I'm pretty sure none of us here are able to fully comment on Simu's business plan. The fact that they are still in business with a shrinking market segment after so many years does say that they know how to stay afloat.

The engine switch from III to IV did show a certain amount of foresight and planning.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Good questions all, I'll answer in detail tonight if I have time Kitsun. Nothing that hasn't already been hashed and rehashed though.

DeV
04-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
No customer service...Can you please elaborate?

You are referring to your problems being addressed. In any customer service field/base you will find that most people will report a problem/complaint, some won't, other's will or won't depending on the situation. I know its just a game, therefore the level of customer support I expect will be less than what I'd expect from a larger company. Also, Simu does stay afloat and like I said I like what they have to offer. When I speak of customer service I speak of waiting days sometimes to talk to a GM for an in game problem, Game Hosts that have no social skills and at times are inept to deal with a problem. I mean, these are issues that may not hold alot of weight, but there is always room for growth and improvement.

Getting an 800 number might be a start. Like I said, who know's Simu's capabilities, Im simply stating my opinions, they may not be the best but thats ok.

Sente
04-20-2004, 02:17 PM

This is possibly the stupidest thing I have read this month. Congrats.

[Edited on 4-20-2004 by Artha] [/quote]

Actually your reply was. You can't even back your comment. I guess you fail to remember the experience poll. The one that worded so that option they wanted us to select sounded all great and wonderful and the other options sounded bad. Ask yourself why don't they release the results.

You can make a survey give you the results that you want. It always amazed me that in commericials that Brand A claimed that consumers preferred Brand A over Brand B, yet Brand B would claim that consumers preferred Brand B to Brand A. :D

As far as conspiracy theories go. No, they do not say "Hey, let's piss off our customers!" It happens that management has ideas that do not coincide with the customer base. Sometimes personal egos and greed get in the way (Enron, etc.), Companies make mistakes. (Remember this one? Yeah Coke has made us billions of dollars throughout the years. So let's get rid of it and make a new Coke! Oops! At least they brought the old Coke back.) Companies fail to meet the needs of its customers. Companies go out of business. That's business.

I played another game once where management decided to build a version 2. Sounds like a good thing except that meant pulling all the GM's away daily GM-run events to work on development. Take a guess what the players wanted. Without daily GM-run events, the player base dropped greatly. I ended up leaving also. The game somehow managed to hang on for about two more years before going under.

Granted Simu isn't anywhere near this bad. However, they do have a lot of room for improvement.

It's not like Simu is the only company in the world that talks to its customers and uses their input. Consumer goods companies run focus groups, survey customers, interview customers, etc.. They've been doing this long before there was a Simu or an Internet or a personal computer.

There is a big difference between gathering input and truly responding to customers desires.

Latrinsorm
04-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey, I saw that tactic last night on the Daily Show, Sente! The classic "no, you're stupid" maneuver. That takes me back.

Sente
04-20-2004, 02:26 PM
The old tricks are still the best ones. :lol:

Glad we're having fun with this.

TheEschaton
04-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Latrin, I believe it was the "Uhhh....no, YOU'RE the asshole" tactic.

I was so depressed for that week of reruns. ;)

-TheE-

Latrinsorm
04-20-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
Latrin, I believe it was the "Uhhh....no, YOU'RE the asshole" tactic.It was, but I didn't want to introduce cussing to the bastion of morality we know as the PC. :whistle:
I was so depressed for that week of reruns. ;)Me too.

Artha
04-20-2004, 03:17 PM
Actually your reply was.

However, you responded to my 12 words with 28 sentences.

I win.

Edit: If the management was really going to do what the management wanted to do, they'd never have had the polls and would still be doing the three professions, unarmed combat, and breakage.

Sente
04-20-2004, 05:46 PM
And not a single word you ever said proved your point. Or demonstated even the tiniest hint of intelligence. :fu:

Anyhow, you mentioned the three cancelled seminars during SimuCon. I don't see unarmed combat as a top priority. Breakage is being worked on and will continue to be worked on. If breakage is held back it is because they need more time to finish it, not because of the poll. The main thing that will be held up is the new professions.

That was the poll: whether or not to enhance existing professions before rolling out the new ones.

Maybe they are listening to us a little bit. I am not going to give them credit for replacing new professions with something else we don't really want (or want to a lesser extent than other things) either. That's not listening. We won't find out until SimuCon what the new priorities are and that will determine if they are truly responding.

Artha
04-20-2004, 05:47 PM
And not a single word you ever said proved your point. Or demonstated even the tiniest hint of intelligence.

But I win, and that's good enough for me.

TheRoseLady
04-20-2004, 05:50 PM
The only thing that bothers me about the polls is that they are waiting until Simucon to reveal the results. Here's a newflash. Only a small portion of the customer base goes to Simucon. How many of us wish to wait on the results of the polls, so they'll have something to discuss at the State of Elanthia address?

I think this is just poor planning. The price increase is coming in May - you would think that it would be a positive thing to deliver news that might actually have folks keeping their accounts open and such.

As far as the customer service goes. Overall it's been pretty good. It's improved drastically since I first started. I think they deserve alot more credit than they receive in that arena.

-TRL

Blazing247
04-20-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree TRL. I can understand their wanting to wait, but in a situation such as this where many are teetering on the edge of cancellation, why withhold something that might keep them here? The fact that we now have no idea what RSN will entail is not a promising thing.

Blazing247
04-20-2004, 05:54 PM
And what the hell, why does everyone get a custom title except me? I've been around as long as anyone, I'm just not a post whore. Damnit.

Artha
04-20-2004, 06:04 PM
And what the hell, why does everyone get a custom title except me? I've been around as long as anyone, I'm just not a post whore. Damnit.

I don't. Mostly because I can't think of one.

Mint
04-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Artha

I don't. Mostly because I can't think of one.

You can always go with 'chia head' or 'hedgehog hair' (you know I like your haircut but I also like to tease you)

Mint
04-20-2004, 06:14 PM
damn picture didnt attach :(

TheRoseLady
04-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Blazing247

I donated money. One of the perks for financial support. Guess it's about time to send some more.

-TRL

Artha
04-20-2004, 06:18 PM
You can always go with 'chia head' or 'hedgehog hair' (you know I like your haircut but I also like to tease you)

I couldn't decide which image to post, so I'm posting them both.

http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/Babyflesh/angry.JPG
(mad props to Maimara)

http://free.inkfrog.com/pix/Babyflesh/fluffy.jpg

Mint
04-20-2004, 06:21 PM
You are a dead ringer for fluffy.

SiKWiDiT
04-20-2004, 06:22 PM
:offtopic:

Artha
04-20-2004, 06:23 PM
:saint:

Latrinsorm
04-20-2004, 06:33 PM
And what the hell, why does everyone get a custom title except me? I've been around as long as anyone, I'm just not a post whore. Damnit. My whoring didn't get me a title, if that makes you feel better. :)

Also, my joy caused from not personally paying for Gemstone continues.

Mint
04-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm My whoring didn't get me a title, if that makes you feel better. :)

Also, my joy caused from not personally paying for Gemstone continues. [/quote]

How come you don't have a title? I thought it kicked in at 3000 posts.

Who pays for Gemstone if not you? I am feeling particularly nosy tonight.

And let me save someone else the time: :offtopic:

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:13 AM
In other words, they're responding to what people want. How dare they!

As *if* !

Simu will do what they want, customers are *not* a concern. Its too damn bad this game is worse then being hooked on PCP and LSD.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
Whoops, my bad. They HAVE. They responded by delaying anything saying they are doing anything!

:lol:

Well, thats true.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Sente
And then they will tell us that is what we wanted!

Standard issue. They tell us we wanted what they did, even though the majority never asked for it. Course I learned after a month of playing, that my voice means crap to the company.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:22 AM
Generally, however, they start working on things way before they announce them.

How can you even say this Artha? To me this indicates that they actually finish what they start, though I must admit that you don't come out and say that.

My most recent prime example, is the GM's stating that they may not have shops/items done for the Dhu. And at every event, its proved true..., that they didn't finish something.

Last Ebons is prime, but you may defend and say there was alot on their plate. Ok, fine, Anfelt, where one day, you are walking through the caves, and there are closed shops, then the next day, the shops are just completely gone.

Hmmm....

Anyway, just my own opinion.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by DarkelfVoldI too, like their product

I agree with this, I like the game, there are those things that I just do not agree with.

Still, only my opinion, which I know means jack crap.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:33 AM
Edit: If the management was really going to do what the management wanted to do, they'd never have had the polls and would still be doing the three professions, unarmed combat, and breakage.

Sorry Artha, I disagree. There is a marketing resaon for the skewed polls. Its to make us (the customer) feel like we are being catered to, and yes the exp poll is and was a prime example. Hell, go read some of Melissa's answers to peoples questions on the officials boards, its really rather disgusting the marketing ploys she uses there, and her elusiveness to answers.

Anyway, still just my opinion.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Sente
We won't find out until SimuCon what the new priorities are and that will determine if they are truly responding.

And by then, we will have all forgotten. Feelings of anger and the like will be gone. Its a never ending roller coaster ride with Simu. :shrug:

Such is life.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by TheRoseLady

I think this is just poor planning. The price increase is coming in May - you would think that it would be a positive thing to deliver news that might actually have folks keeping their accounts open and such.

-TRL

Its called good marketing on Simu's part.

Finiswolf

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 03:41 AM
I agree TRL. I can understand their wanting to wait, but in a situation such as this where many are teetering on the edge of cancellation, why withhold something that might keep them here? The fact that we now have no idea what RSN will entail is not a promising thing.

But it is also something that could keep customers here to see what RSN entails for them.

Finiswolf

[Edited on 4-21-2004 by FinisWolf]

Latrinsorm
04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Finis' title should be "Machine Gun Poster". :D 9 posts in a row, that's gotta be a record.

Mint, momma pays for GS. Basically it's my birthday/Christmas present. Now you know. :)

FinisWolf
04-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Finis' title should be "Machine Gun Poster". :D 9 posts in a row, that's gotta be a record.

Mint, momma pays for GS. Basically it's my birthday/Christmas present. Now you know. :)

Sorry, Simu's inability to keep promises is a hot topic with me, and in my home.

No worries though, I won't be around to much today, and I shot myself in the hand so I wouldn't blow holes in the boards.

Finiswolf