PDA

View Full Version : Negative Yield on Treasuries

ClydeR
10-26-2010, 11:06 AM
The Treasury sold $10 billion of five-year Treasury Inflation Protected Securities at a negative yield for the first time at a U.S. debt auction Monday as investors bet that the Federal Reserve will succeed in its bid to jump-start the faltering economy.

The securities drew a yield of negative 0.55 percent in a sale that was a reopening of an $11 billion offering in April.

More... (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/25/AR2010102505111.html)

The Fed has indicated in recent weeks that it is preparing to take extraordinary steps to shore up the economy by purchasing large amounts of government debt, a tactic known as quantitative easing, which is aimed at lowering interest rates across the economy.

A negative yield suggests investors are betting that the Fed's intervention is likely to successfully prevent deflation and reduce the risk of the economy slipping back into recession.

I don't know who bid the Treasuries to a negative yield, but you would have to be a real dummy to do that. You'd be better off burying your money in the back yard than buying those.

Tgo01
10-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't know who bid the Treasuries to a negative yield, but you would have to be a real dummy to do that. You'd be better off burying your money in the back yard than buying those.

Did you read the last line of what you quoted?

Oh wait, I almost forgot who is posting this.

ClydeR
10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
They paid $100.55 today in exchange for a promise to receive $100.00 in five years. That's dumb.

Bobmuhthol
10-26-2010, 11:56 AM
This is such a great time to be a borrower and it makes me very sad that I am probably going to end up with a mortgage when interest rates are significantly higher than now :(

WRoss
10-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I hate it when people more than 5 trains higher than my chars join my group and ruin the treasure modifier. Those fuckers ruin all the cool shit that I could be getting from the hopper.