PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Dilemma

Jorddyn
10-20-2010, 06:26 PM
This is going to be relatively long, so either leave now or don't complain :tumble:

My company is involved in a growth and development program. Last year was the initial year, and I was in the program along with my boss and my best friend's boss.

This year, it has become a competitive program (rather than by invite), and the first year team is the selection committee, though the executive team will be signing off on our decisions. We have no reason to believe they'll change our selections once they hear our justification. The spots on this year's program are well defined roles, so it involves picking people for the roles, not just picking people.

We had X spots to fill and 3X applicants. My best friend was placed in one of them as every member on our selection committee felt she belonged in the program. She, however, has told me that she doesn't believe she'll be picked. The process of placing applicants in positions took my team approximately 5 hours as we wanted to do justice to the program and the applicants. We are supposed to present our decisions to the executive team in about 2 weeks. Until then, we're not to discuss it with anyone not on the team.

My friend called me today to tell me that more likely than not, she and her husband will be relocating for his job. He'll make a decision tomorrow on whether or not to go into the second interview (he's the only internal candidate), but then the manager is going on vacation for a week, so he won't hear back for... about 2 weeks. She also asked me to not tell anyone at work.

My dilemma:
If I strongly encourage her to talk to her boss about the potential of her leaving, she'll know why, and I've broken my confidentiality pact with my team.

If I don't encourage her, but instead tell my team that we need a backup, I've broken her trust.

If I tell my team, we rearrange, and she doesn't quit, then I've cost her this spot.

If I pose a hypothetical to our consultant, I'm relatively sure she'll bring it to the team, and they will know who I was talking about, so same problem.

If I don't do anything and she quits the day that she's announced as a member of the team, I've not only caused my team more work (re-selection), I've possibly caused the exclusion of a candidate who would otherwise be in the program. My friend took position A, other person took position B, candidate C was excluded. Candidate C would likely have been placed in position B and candidate B would have been placed in position A had my friend not applied. However, Candidate C would never be placed in position A, which means candidate D would be brought in instead.

Additionally, if she quits, every single member of my team will know I knew it was coming as they all know how close she and I are.

Is this confusing enough?

What in the hell do I do?

(My solution: Beer)

Delias
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
We need a shorter summary if you want advice.

Jorddyn
10-20-2010, 06:37 PM
We need a shorter summary if you want advice.

Friend confidentiality v work confidentiality (when friend is likely leaving the company)

Kitsun
10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Well don't tell her but leave a damn file in her car, open to the right page after she gives you a ride to lunch.

Jorddyn
10-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Well don't tell her but leave a damn file in her car, open to the right page after she gives you a ride to lunch.

Vetoed that idea. If she finds out, even if I am not the source, I will be the prime suspect.

Sam
10-20-2010, 07:02 PM
If I were in your position, and she was that good of a friend, I would probably tell her she was likely going to be selected, just so she can consider that when deciding to move... If she's a good enough friend, she'll shut up about it.

If she finds out she got selected after she already decided to move, she might be pissed at you. Then again, if she's moving anyway.. fuck her!

I don't even know if I understand the situation correctly.. definitely a very difficult choice.

peam
10-20-2010, 07:10 PM
http://cinepad.com/images/dtrt.jpg

Burn down the pizza joint.

Jorddyn
10-20-2010, 07:12 PM
If she finds out she got selected after she already decided to move, she might be pissed at you. Then again, if she's moving anyway.. fuck her!

She's already told me that even if she's selected, if her husband gets and wants to accept this job, they're moving. He already makes double what she does, and this will likely increase his pay around 50%.

Honestly, the one factor I am not concerned about is her being mad at me for not telling her she was selected.

If her husband takes the second interview and she doesn't voluntarily tell her boss, however, I'll probably start by encouraging her to tell. She'll know why, but I can't see her spreading it around.

Warriorbird
10-20-2010, 07:13 PM
If I don't encourage her, but instead tell my team that we need a backup, I've broken her trust.

If I tell my team, we rearrange, and she doesn't quit, then I've cost her this spot.

Suggest that you need to have backups in place. If pressed, point out validly that somebody else could and might leave.

Jorddyn
10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Additionally, I think that there is a good reason that the company asks you not to speak to the candidates about decisions. Your decision is a *suggestion*, and even though you have every reason to believe that your suggestion will be signed off on, there is a chance it won't be. Consider the chance, however slim, that you tell her, her husband turns down the job, she stays, and she does not get the position in your company. That chance exists.

I know, and I'd feel horrible for getting her hopes up. The good news is that I believe it to be incredibly unlikely this would happen. She is well known and well respected among the executive team.

Then again, I wasn't 100% sure she'd be chosen, even though she's well known and well respected among our team.

Argh.

(Beer #2 coming up)

Jorddyn
10-20-2010, 07:15 PM
All I can say is that I'm incredibly glad everyone has different perspectives. Makes me feel like I'm not just missing the obvious solution.

Asile
10-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Suggest that you need to have backups in place. If pressed, point out validly that somebody else could and might leave.

This. Especially since your friend has said that whether or not her career gets a boost, the boost to her husband's career takes precedence (rightly so, I think), so there is the chance she'll be leaving. And who knows what all else could happen while waiting for the approvals.

And switch from beer to something stronger.

Latrinsorm
10-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I am assuming from what you said that she told you that she would be relocating for her husband's job in confidence. It is more important to honor someone's trust than to get them (a good chance at) a nice thing, so you don't tell her.