PDA

View Full Version : New 2 Lich, Some Questions

RideOnTarget
10-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Been away for a while. It appears PsiNet no longer works?

I've already downloaded Lich and Ruby onto my laptop and it appears to be working. It saved to my desktop and the script file appeared empty, Lich complained, but somehow I manage to fix that <------computer stewpid btw>

A few questions have come to mind. In reading the first thread about the Lich site being moved I realized that I have downloaded from the older ".com" website and not the ".org" website. Will this be an issue and should uninstall the version I have and upload the most current 'stable' version?

Will I need to update Ruby too?

With PsiNet and using multiple computers and multiple characters it was necessary to go into the character files and change the PsiNet Key so that it was the same on every computer in order to play. Will there be a similar issue with Lich? I prefer using my desktop to play but often I find myself away from home and using a laptop.

This may be an absurdly stupid question but how does one stop a script from working in Lich? Or is this not necessary? Are there scripts automatically running in the background once you log on?

I've only dabbled for a few minutes with Lich and I am pretty excited about the possibilities. If PsiNet had the cool map feature I never realized it. I've tried ;narost(?), is this the one that allows you to click on the map to move? What then does go2 do or does it work in conjunction with the other? Trying to wrap brain around it all.

I have a rogue and a sorcerer, are there scripts not already pre-loaded that you all feel are a must have for these professions?

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice!

DaCapn
10-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Been away for a while. It appears PsiNet no longer works?

I've already downloaded Lich and Ruby onto my laptop and it appears to be working. It saved to my desktop and the script file appeared empty, Lich complained, but somehow I manage to fix that <------computer stewpid btw>

A few questions have come to mind. In reading the first thread about the Lich site being moved I realized that I have downloaded from the older ".com" website and not the ".org" website. Will this be an issue and should uninstall the version I have and upload the most current 'stable' version?

Will I need to update Ruby too?

With PsiNet and using multiple computers and multiple characters it was necessary to go into the character files and change the PsiNet Key so that it was the same on every computer in order to play. Will there be a similar issue with Lich? I prefer using my desktop to play but often I find myself away from home and using a laptop.

This may be an absurdly stupid question but how does one stop a script from working in Lich? Or is this not necessary? Are there scripts automatically running in the background once you log on?

I've only dabbled for a few minutes with Lich and I am pretty excited about the possibilities. If PsiNet had the cool map feature I never realized it. I've tried ;narost(?), is this the one that allows you to click on the map to move? What then does go2 do or does it work in conjunction with the other? Trying to wrap brain around it all.

I have a rogue and a sorcerer, are there scripts not already pre-loaded that you all feel are a must have for these professions?

Thanks in advance for your answers and advice!

Some of your general questions can be answered by running `;help`

There are some caveats with what version of ruby and gtk bindings you're using but they're described on lichproject.org. But, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When you click on a room in the narost map window, it determines what room number you clicked on, then runs go2 and feeds it that room number as an argument. Many scripts fork like this (herbheal is another example).

Most scripts aren't "pre-loaded." Try `;repository help` There's a spectrum of scripts that vary between complex and utterly essential to so trivial and worthless that it would be faster to write the script yourself than to download and read it.

Nilandia
10-17-2010, 06:35 PM
If you're asking about running the most stable release, chances are you might have downloaded your Lich from the sourceforge site. That's an old version of Lich. You'll want to download Lich from lichproject.org as a lot of the stuff just won't work with the older version.

Gretchen

RideOnTarget
10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
If you're asking about running the most stable release, chances are you might have downloaded your Lich from the sourceforge site. That's an old version of Lich. You'll want to download Lich from lichproject.org as a lot of the stuff just won't work with the older version.

Gretchen

Thanks all for the info. I went to download lich n'ruby onto my desktop and took a hard look at both websites. I was able to figure out that www.lichproject.org is the most current website - even though the sticky at the top of this forum says so <too obvious for me I guess>. I also realized that I did download from the correct website the first time.

I did have an issue downloading to my desktop though. Seems the maps didn't come through though I uninstalled and re-installed just in case. I am also getting a message on my initial log on to the game that the .rbw (?) can't be found<sigh>. The lich.zip file i am suposedto extract came through as 2 file folders, one appears to be emty and has no name but when I tried to extract it just in case - it acts as though it is a duplicate to the other file. Help?

Speaking of maps, I am on my lap top right now and perused through the map folder for lich. There are some guildmaps but not the ones I'd be using. Is it possible to add these maps from my own files into the lich map folder and have them work or is it more complicated then that? Like each map has to have it's rooms assigned numbers? <yes, trying to sound smarter then I am>.

Thanks again!

Nilandia
10-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Once you get Lich up and running in your first login, you'll type ;unpause all. You'll then start downloading the current map set. It will also make sure you're all up to date.

Gretchen

Sam
10-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Also, check this out:
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=35792

RideOnTarget
10-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Once you get Lich up and running in your first login, you'll type ;unpause all. You'll then start downloading the current map set. It will also make sure you're all up to date.

Gretchen

Yep, at least that's the way it's supposed to work. I did that upon first log-in and then got the "????.rbw" is missing or can't be found message.

A second log-on got me the following messages:

--- Lich: could not find script `infomon' in directory C:/Users/Myname/Desktop/scripts/!
--- Lich: could not find script `updater' in directory C:/Users/Myname/Desktop/scripts/!
--- Lich: could not find script `lnet' in directory C:/Users/Myname/Desktop/scripts/!

So then I tried ;updater help and got this:

--- Lich: could not find script `updater' in directory C:/Users/Myname/Desktop/scripts/!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

RideOnTarget
10-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Also, check this out:
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=35792

Uhm, yeah? Looks like a whole bunch of defunct photobucket links. Awww! Besides, I don't think I'm busty enough to make the grade. Hate to disappoint the avid followers of that thread!

Tillmen
10-18-2010, 01:44 AM
I'm guessing all that is probably caused by browsing the zip file instead of extracting it, and then trying to fix the problems caused by browsing the zip file and failing.

Try downloading the zip file again. Select save instead of open. Then find the zip file in Windows Explorer, right-click on it, and click extract, or something like that.

Windows is lying to you. It will tell you a zip file is a folder, and it's not. It will tell you a file doesn't have a file extension when it does.

RideOnTarget
10-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks Tillman for the help. Before reading your post I had just copied the lich files off of my lap top and put them on my desktop, replacing what was there and adding what was missing. My desk top uses something called winrar(?) to extract files, it seems to be the default program, and I'm not sure I am using it correctly so that may have been the issue.

Thanks again!