PDA

View Full Version : Say the Pledge or Go to Jail

ClydeR
10-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Wednesday, Chancellor Talmadge Littlejohn sent the 49-year-old Oxford attorney there for refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in court.

Littlejohn urged Lampley to reconsider repeating the Pledge, as every other person in the judge's courtroom did as the day's proceedings began.

More... (http://nems360.com/view/full_story/9809352/article-Silence-during-pledge-earns-jail-time-for-attorney?)

If everybody had to do it, then I don't see what basis the attorney has to complain. Why should he get special rights? And before you liberals get upset, let's remember that this guy is an attorney. He's supposed to be enforcing the laws, which are -- you know -- established under the authority of the republic for which the flag stands.

David Hudson Jr., a scholar at the First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University, said forcing Lampley to repeat the pledge is clearly a violation of his free-speech rights.

"I've never heard of a judge jailing a lawyer over this," he said Wednesday.

Lampley is no stranger to controversy. Years ago, he represented a Pontotoc woman who objected to student-led intercom prayer and Bible history classes taught at North Pontotoc Attendance Center. U.S. District Judge Neal Biggers agreed the activities were unconstitutional.

Tgo01
10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
When did the US become North Korea?

Kuyuk
10-07-2010, 11:44 AM
When bush took office.

ClydeR
12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
The Mississippi Commission on Judicial Performance has recommended to the state Supreme Court that Chancery Judge Talmadge Littlejohn be publicly reprimanded for jailing attorney Danny Lampley. Littlejohn also must pay $100 in court costs.

The commission says Littlejohn is now making the pledge voluntary in his courtroom.

More... (http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20101202/NEWS/12020330/Judge-admits-he-violated-rights)

Littlejohn was known for asking everyone to stand to recite the pledge when he enters his courtroom.

Lampley is known for fighting free-speech legal battles.

This is a recommendation by liberal elitists, and I hope the supreme court does not accept it. That's an outrageous fine to make this judge pay.

Drew
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Chancellor Talmadge Littlejohn

Why don't I know people with names like this? Am I too WASPy or not WASPy enough?

TheEschaton
12-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Definitely not WASPy enough, with a name like Andrew you might as well be a Jew.

Drew
12-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm a true-Drew, thank you very much.

Stanley Burrell
12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
This guy is a lawyer. I admit, if I was a Littlejohn, I'd overcompensate, but this is basically like walking into the courtroom with non-stop Tourette's. Lawyers are supposed to be manipulative ambulance-chasing bastards: And always suck judge cock. Because they are lawyers. Unless you're a judge, then you suck your own cock.

I forgot what I was going to say, but he probably gave his client a better lawyer and courtroom setting.

EasternBrand
12-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Chancellor Talmadge Littlejohn, Oxford lawyers... I swear I thought this was about England at first.