PDA

View Full Version : I Wanna Buy a Gun

Methais
10-04-2010, 12:43 PM
I've been meaning to buy a gun for like 9857372728 years and just never got around to it. Mainly for just target practice since I'm not into NASCAR and have no desire to shoot animals or even Mexicans.

I just wanna get a decent handgun for now cause they're more fun to shoot I think. Thing is I don't really know shit about guns other than how to shoot them.

Friend of mine said I should get me a .22 cause ammo is cheap and they're pretty accurate. His advice also sucks 99% of the time, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions here. If money wasn't an object I'd get a Desert Eagle so I can pretend I'm playing RL Counter-Strike and spray tubgirl tags on peoples' houses.

I'm probably looking to spend no more than $200-300.

Awesome Louisiana fact: To buy a handgun, you wait 3 days for a background check, then go back to walmart or wherever to get your gun. Apparently in MA, you have to hire a lawyer and jump through over 9000 hoops or some retarded shit like that

Drevihyin
10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Here is what Indy Car fans are authorized to buy in my state. The shooting of animals or Mexicans is optional.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t197/riverduck/smallestgun.jpg

Jace Solo
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Hurry for still red states!

$200-300 isn't much. I take ityour going for a handgun. I was talking to a police friend of mine a couple days ago who I'll quote with "When Obama took office, so many people went to buy guns they had to be imported from Austria where as they generally make enough within the US to fill demand. The price of ammo has doubled since he took office too."

If you can find a cheap .22 that's fine as well because you're doing it for recreation. For stopping power, Deagles are awesome but very impractical unless you really know what you're doing. .50 cal ammo is very expensive and stock magazine size is only about 7-10 rounds.

Go with the .22, or get a rifle for a little more umph if you like. The stopping power on a .22 is about like shooting a red rider.

Just don't shoot you eye out.

Rinualdo
10-04-2010, 02:02 PM
.22 is a great gun to start with and do some limited range shooting. As you mentioned, ammo is dirt cheap.

You can find .22 pistols easily in the price range you are looking at. There are a variety of manufactures of varying qualities and features as well.

If you have a gun range nearby, you can go check out their selection and find out what fits your hand best, if you want steel or polymer, revolver or semi, etc... Some ranges will also have a gun rental section where you can check out some other options. If the "cool" factor appeals to you, you can consider a .22 carbine like Colt's offerings.

Once you settle on a brand or model, I highly suggest finding an FFL and buying your gun online. Local stores have horrendous markups. Usually an FFL fee will run 25$ give or take, but the overall savings will be huge.

Also, Wal-Mart only sells rifles as far as I'm aware.

TheEschaton
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Hurry for still red states!

$200-300 isn't much. I take ityour going for a handgun. I was talking to a police friend of mine a couple days ago who I'll quote with "When Obama took office, so many people went to buy guns they had to be imported from Austria where as they generally make enough within the US to fill demand. The price of ammo has doubled since he took office too."

If you can find a cheap .22 that's fine as well because you're doing it for recreation. For stopping power, Deagles are awesome but very impractical unless you really know what you're doing. .50 cal ammo is very expensive and stock magazine size is only about 7-10 rounds.

Go with the .22, or get a rifle for a little more umph if you like. The stopping power on a .22 is about like shooting a red rider.

Just don't shoot you eye out.

I love how people use the mass hysteria, fear-based idiocy of a chunk of people reacting to imaginary fears of Obama, as somehow a criticism of Obama.

Delias
10-04-2010, 04:08 PM
When using a 22, be sure to shoot them in the brain. I don't really think it's "stopping power" is applicable to any other part of the body.

On an interesting side note I found, when going through my step-dad's (deceased, guns are mine now) collection that he has both a pair of 44s and a pair of 357s. Apparently he thought he was yosemite fucking sam.

Fallen
10-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't much think anyone is going to continue burgaling if shot by any manner of handgun, though as I am not speaking from experience, I may be wrong.

Cephalopod
10-04-2010, 04:20 PM
I love 'burgle' as a verb.

NocturnalRob
10-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Spend more than $300. Buy a decent 9mm. You'll have more fun shooting it.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/px4-storm-full-size-9mm/

Buy ammo here: http://www.gun-deals.com/

But if you're set on a .22, I've always liked Rugers: http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIStandard/models.html

Or a Walther: http://www.waltherpistols.com/item/10632_Walther_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Walther_WAP22003_P 22_Auto.aspx

Methais
10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
When using a 22, be sure to shoot them in the brain. I don't really think it's "stopping power" is applicable to any other part of the body.

On an interesting side note I found, when going through my step-dad's (deceased, guns are mine now) collection that he has both a pair of 44s and a pair of 357s. Apparently he thought he was yosemite fucking sam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vom9iLDfb-Y

Even better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoW8nHIVuRk

NocturnalRob
10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I would say try a SIG Mosquito too, as they're relatively cheap, but I hear they have a lot of FTF/FTE issues.

4a6c1
10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
This is the only thing that came up when I googled goatse gun. :(

http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/1/0/6/8/1/lego-gun.jpg

Methais
10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
This is the only thing that came up when I googled goatse gun. :(

http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/1/0/6/8/1/lego-gun.jpg

It could be short for legoatse gun.

Gan
10-04-2010, 05:32 PM
I've been meaning to buy a gun for like 9857372728 years and just never got around to it. Mainly for just target practice since I'm not into NASCAR and have no desire to shoot animals or even Mexicans.

I just wanna get a decent handgun for now cause they're more fun to shoot I think. Thing is I don't really know shit about guns other than how to shoot them.

Friend of mine said I should get me a .22 cause ammo is cheap and they're pretty accurate. His advice also sucks 99% of the time, so I thought I'd ask for suggestions here. If money wasn't an object I'd get a Desert Eagle so I can pretend I'm playing RL Counter-Strike and spray tubgirl tags on peoples' houses.

Awesome Louisiana fact: To buy a handgun, you wait 3 days for a background check, then go back to walmart or wherever to get your gun. Apparently in MA, you have to hire a lawyer and jump through over 9000 hoops or some retarded shit like that

I echo the sentiment that if you want to cheaply go out and shoot shit up - pick up a ruger .22 pistol. They're easy to use, easy to clean and cheap if you screw it up. You can pick up .22 ammo for pennies - which means you can take 1,000 rounds to the range with you for target fun. They don't make much noise and they do not exhaust your hand/arm when you spend all day firing one.

The next day when you've gone through a bucket of 3,000 shells, cleaned it once or twice and get bored then you can go out and buy you a real pistol that works on targets larger than cats, rats, snakes or coons.

Oscar76
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Glock 19 was my first handgun and it was solid, but over $300.00. Also, go to a gun show and you can often save some money, especially on ammo.

BandaorICE
10-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't go with anything lower than a .380. A .22 is great for target practice, but has very little stopping power. Beretta, Colt, Glock, Smith & Wesson are your best brands. Finding something in the $200-$300 range, brand new is tough. Hi-Points are cheap, but you get what you pay for. www.gunsamerica.com is pretty accurate with prices of guns. Pawnshops, gun shows and flea markets are good places to find decent priced guns.

Parkbandit
10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Glock 19 was my first handgun and it was solid, but over $300.00. Also, go to a gun show and you can often save some money, especially on ammo.

My favorite handgun is currently my Glock 17C. Almost zero maintenance, easy to clean and very accurate.

My advice would be to go to a gun range and rent as many guns as you are even remotely interested in. I was leaning quite heavily towards buying a Sig and ended up renting a Glock17 because a cop friend of mine praised his.. and ended up feeling very comfortable in firing it.

peam
10-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Ruger LCP .380 $350ish
Bersa Thunder .380 $300ish
Kel-Tec P3AT .380 $325ish

All are well-received and concealable. .380 is plenty of stopping power, if you can shoot.

Personally, I'd advise cruising some pawnshops. You'll likely find something that's used but very affordable.

Or you could just do what my cheap ass did and plop down $100 for a Hi-Point 9mm. It's not pretty and it's not concealable, but I'm sure it'll kill someone right dead.

peam
10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
In disagreement with the .22 hate.

If you shoot me with a .22LR, I guarantee I will stop fucking with you.

Delias
10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I've got this nazi browning hi-power that I think I'm going to sell, and get a 1911.

NocturnalRob
10-04-2010, 07:19 PM
If you shoot me with a .22LR, I guarantee I will stop fucking with you.
QFT. Shit, shoot me enough times with a BB gun, and I'll probably go away. Those things sting.

peam
10-04-2010, 07:45 PM
QFT. Shit, shoot me enough times with a BB gun, and I'll probably go away. Those things sting.

True story: A bunch of my friends used to play BB gun war in high school. They wore goggles and shit to be 'safe.' Regardless, I abstained because I'm not a complete idiot. One of the kids ended up getting shot in the middle of his forehead right above his nose (apparently one of the skull's weakest spots) by a BB which penetrated his skull, split a path directly down the center of his brain, and lodged in the back of his head.

Dude lived but has to take seizure medicine daily.

Celephais
10-04-2010, 08:02 PM
True story: A bunch of my friends used to play BB gun war in high school. They wore goggles and shit to be 'safe.' Regardless, I abstained because I'm not a complete idiot. One of the kids ended up getting shot in the middle of his forehead right above his nose (apparently one of the skull's weakest spots) by a BB which penetrated his skull, split a path directly down the center of his brain, and lodged in the back of his head.

Dude lived but has to take seizure medicine daily.
I hope the person shooting yelled:
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/8176/original/th_BoomHeadShot.gif

Sean of the Thread
10-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Also peruse www.gunbroker.com (http://www.gunbroker.com) if you like.

Sig Sauer P229 or p228 in .357 sig auto. Can swap barrels to .40sw in a minute if wanted. sigs are pricey but you get what you pay for.

The 9mm of said models are an option as well. Cheaper ammo and a little less to handle for a noob.

.357 sig auto rounds turn fucking heads at the range. I love it with all my heart.

***edit if you decide to go .22 look up some walthers they're pretty fucking sweet and with the right license you can get get a suppressor for the one model.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sigsauer_p229-1.jpg

Link for a variety of walther .22's. and most would be in your price range.

http://www.google.com/images?q=walther+.22&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=857
(http://www.google.com/images?q=walther+.22&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=857)

*** Also you can get a Marlin .22 rifle for like $200ish and some banana clips and easily convert to full auto. Funnn shit especially if you can land a fifty round drum.

Methais
10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I hope the person shooting yelled:
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/8176/original/th_BoomHeadShot.gif

I'd still be yelling it in his face every time I saw him for the rest of my life.

If he died before I did I'd go visit his grave and yell it.

NocturnalRob
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
.357 sig auto rounds turn fucking heads at the range. I love it with all my heart.
Think how popular you'd be if you could afford them!

Delias
10-04-2010, 08:24 PM

Who has that many quarters just lying around?

Sean of the Thread
10-04-2010, 08:30 PM

I just sold mine last year. I had the one in the 9mm and one (my favorite) in .357 sig auto. They were my carry pistols. The 229 is smaller and was more comfortable to carry.

I sold the 9mm first and .357/.40sw second. Got about $700 for each.

I also sold this for for $1100 about two years ago.

http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/UsedPage/04-09-2010/carbon1.JPG

Also sold a lever action 1970's marlin 30/30 and a couple mossberg 500s and one .357 sw revolver and one .357 rossi revolver.

All I have left is a 1956 2nd series SKS just barely over the 1 million serial that shoots 1 inch groups at 300 yards and my Ben Sheridan kick ass pellet rifle.

Sean of the Thread
10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Who has that many quarters just lying around?

The only reason I think this quarter thing is played out is because not only is it gay? but I was playing fucking the quarter gambling games at the carnival.

I still get a laugh out of the comments tho because it's funny... just played out.

Jace Solo
10-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Stopping power has to do with a couple items.

Caliber, type of ammo, distance, where you hit someone, and how badly they wanna get you.

Obviously, some of those items are going to very but..it's not accurate to say anything can stop you just as much as it is accurate to say it. Most people, especially those who taut how great a marksman they are, can't keep a shot group solid to begin with...saying you'll shoot them right in the heart or head is not likely unless you've spent a LONG time at the range. Remember, "Aim small, Miss small".

Caliber is the easiest way to stop someone with minimal skill.

However, it doesn't sound like he's trying to stop anyone so I still advise going with a lighter, low maintenance gun to gauge how much you actually like/want to go to the range. Just by going to the range you'll learn more about what people are shooting. Starting with heavier, high caliber, heavy kick guns is dangerous if you're not at least familiar and somewhat practiced in the art.

.22 or 9m, most models are easy to take apart, clean, reassemble, and have low maintenance issues.

Some of the other models people said will work find and I definitely agree that you should should go test them from the range first.

Celephais
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
The only reason I think this quarter thing is played out is because not only is it gay? but I was playing fucking the quarter gambling games at the carnival.

I still get a laugh out of the comments tho because it's funny... just played out.
http://liveforfilms.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

Nope, not played out. (Sorry Methais, I know that's your image)

Also the fact you think that because you were playing quarter games at a carnival makes it any less hilarious is additionally hilarious.

Kuyuk
10-04-2010, 08:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNPGvPa9NeQ300 rounds a minute bitches

AnticorRifling
10-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Maybe I missed it...

What are your overall plans for the firearm Methais? Range fun, personal protection, both?

If you're just wanting to hit the range for some stress relief, relaxation and fun go .22. Hell even if you're wanting personal protection I'd say START with the .22. No one says this is going to be the first, last, and only firearm you purchase. Learn on something easy, get familiar on something easy, once you get to where your weapon conditions, rules, and handling are second nature then look to upgrade. A .22 will still kill. But but but der der der it's not as big as a desert eagle der herp. No shit, it's still a WEAPON.

Start at .22lr in a year trade it in and upgrade, or use it as the starting point of your collection.

AnticorRifling
10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Also to add Smith and Wesson makes a sexy .22LR pistol for about $250.

B4Hand
10-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I've got a little 38 special, I keep next to my bed in it's little safe thing, that I can open with my hand only. It's not the funnest weapon but I know it'll do what I need it to.

Hubby has an entire gun store basically, in a huge gun safe with him in TX. He's a gunsmith as a hobby. I think though he really likes his duty weapon the Glock? I def, decided I like firing the automatic weapons better. I listened to one of the fellas he worked with and bought the revolver. My hubby had to do some adjustments on the trigger, it was really difficult to pull, I hated that.

Leew
10-05-2010, 09:03 AM

Guns are fun, but don't sell yourself short for recreactional mexican shooting, lots of good times to be had there! Joking aside, a 22 is a gateway gun pony up another couple hundred 300-500 and get one that will be more fun (blow things up better) I enjoy the glock 22 (it's not a 22 caliber its a .40 caliber) They are light, ammo is cheap, they shoot straight and you get to hear rappers talk about your gun in all their songs! Just don't be a dumbass about it, learn what to do before you start shooting, not after. And whats that kids? learning is half the battle!

AnticorRifling
10-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I've got a little 38 special, I keep next to my bed in it's little safe thing, that I can open with my hand only.

That's good, those safes that require you to use your toes can be a bitch. :)

NocturnalRob
10-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I've got a little 38 special, I keep next to my bed in it's little safe thing, that I can open with my hand only.
Be sure to hold on loosely.

Gan
10-05-2010, 02:12 PM
At what point in the OP was stopping power mentioned?

Gan
10-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Be sure to hold on loosely.

Props.

:lol:

Drunken Durfin
10-05-2010, 08:56 PM
My current favorite, Taurus Judge
Revolver - easy to clean and very low maintenance.
Optional rounds - fires .45cal or .410 shells (yes, shotgun shells)

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/taurusjudge.jpg

Manufacturer: Forjas Taurus
Importer: Taurus International
(800) 327-3776; www.taurususa.com
Action Type: Double-action revolver
Caliber: .45 Colt, 3-inch .410 bore
Capacity: 5 rounds
Barrel Length: 3 inches
Rifling: Six grooves, 1:12-inch RH twist
Frame: Stainless steel
Grip: One-piece Ribber
Sights: Square-notch rear, fiber-optic front
Trigger Pull: Double action, 12 pounds; single action, 3 pounds
Overall Length: 91⁄2 inches
Width: 11⁄2 inches
Height: 51⁄4 inches
Weight: 37 ounces

Delias
10-05-2010, 09:01 PM

"Silencer"
"ooh"
"loudener"
"ooooh. Hey, what's that?"
"That's an attachment for shooting down police helicopters."
"oh, I don't need that...yet."

Ceyrin
10-05-2010, 09:59 PM
P226 (http://www.sigsauer.com/products/showcatalogproductdetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=90) is a good handgun. It's not in your price range, but it's worth every penny.

4a6c1
10-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Cant......stop.....staring.

at your sig.

Sean of the Thread
10-06-2010, 08:07 AM
P226 (http://www.sigsauer.com/products/showcatalogproductdetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=90) is a good handgun. It's not in your price range, but it's worth every penny.

I'm a sig guy but the p226 is too fucking big unless you're like a cop.

Any Sig Sauer is going to be out of his price range.

I still suggest he gets a .22 walther or what Anticor suggested before moving up. He'd probably have more fun with a .22 rifle if you ask me. Grab a Marlin*edit rifle* for around $200 maybe slap a cheap 3x9 on it and sit at the range for hours on like the 200 yard line.

Pistol is like 10-20 yards and boring as fuck unless it's for practice with your carry round or competition in my opinion.

***don't forget to browse www.gunbroker.com it can give you a good feel for price ranges and what's out there.

Delias
10-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Practice? I do all my shooting with Zen and a blindfold. I usually like to use one gun per hand, and one attached to my belt... I pull the trigger on that one with a string tied to my big toe. I'm a fucking one man army.

AnticorRifling
10-06-2010, 08:22 AM

I've got one, also have a single shot .410 pistol that's fun to shoot.

Warriorbird
10-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Working on restoring a Hungarian Mosin-Nagant now. Being back in Virginia I can actually benefit a bit from my Dad's woodworking skill.

Not exactly what I'd call 'home defense' but definitely cheap.

AnticorRifling
10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Working on restoring a Hungarian Mosin-Nagant now. Being back in Virginia I can actually benefit a bit from my Dad's woodworking skill.

Not exactly what I'd call 'home defense' but definitely cheap.

I could see doing it as a fun, for shits and giggles project. But really there's going to be no ROI on any work done on one of those. You can walk into a gun show, spit and hit hundreds of them.

Post pics of the before and after I want to see your stock skills.

Warriorbird
10-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Definitely not for cash. Trying to work up a classic Hungarian tree of life pattern to make it look a bit like an 1800s Werndl hunting rifle that my Hungarian cousin has.

Drawing some inspiration from Winslow Arms stuff if you've seen any of that.

This is a total experiment though, so no clue how it will end up.

Winslow Arms example

http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8281383.0

Hungarian embroidery that looks something like his rifle

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YNAAE2xH_Ro/TJsqD2yu6yI/AAAAAAAABYA/SOPNGnu90YI/s1600/antique+vintage+linen+003.JPG

If I get anywhere it'll be a present to them for letting me stay at their place.

Delias
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFG_9000

The only gun you need.

SHAFT
10-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I recommend one of these bad boys.....The Noisy Cricket

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/thepatriot1976/noisycricket.jpg

Probably cost a bit more than 300 though

4a6c1
10-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Definitely not for cash. Trying to work up a classic Hungarian tree of life pattern to make it look a bit like an 1800s Werndl hunting rifle that my Hungarian cousin has.

Drawing some inspiration from Winslow Arms stuff if you've seen any of that.

This is a total experiment though, so no clue how it will end up.

Winslow Arms example

http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8281383.0

Hungarian embroidery that looks something like his rifle

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YNAAE2xH_Ro/TJsqD2yu6yI/AAAAAAAABYA/SOPNGnu90YI/s1600/antique+vintage+linen+003.JPG

If I get anywhere it'll be a present to them for letting me stay at their place.

I am in love with this idea. More people should personalize their firearms in this way.