PDA

View Full Version : Physical Cleric?

mweaver123
10-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Hi guys,

I'm cross-posting from the main play.net forums. I'm not sure if you all read those or not and was looking for a wider audience for advice.

I just reactivated my account and I'm looking at creating a dwarven cleric of Eonak. I was thinking of going the 2-hand maul swinging route to keep in line with the 'forged items' concept, but from what I've read, I've heard this training plan is not as viable as it once was (with the creation of Paladin as a playable class and whatnot). Some basic questions...

1. Is a 2-handed cleric viable?
2. Will my defense suffer to the point to where I'm getting killed all the time?
3. What basic skills should I invest in?
4. Regarding forging (something I'd like this character to do), I read something about character class affecting the outcome of forging results? That is, magic users will have a harder time than say, a warrior?
5. Spells...at what rate should I train these? What spells should I aim for first? I also read something about maintaining +21 cleric spell ranks relative to ones level?
6. Regarding the hunting of undead, I hear that undead are not always present to hunt for all level ranges? Is this true? Are there gaps where I'd have to hunt the living? I was considering going the Voln route and tossing some Smites around....

I know some might say that I should maybe just roll a paladin, but I like the idea of raising the dead as well as all the diety-specific spells in the cleric's arsenal. Thanks in advance for all your help!

kookiegod
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
1. Is a 2-handed cleric viable? yes

2. Will my defense suffer to the point to where I'm getting killed all the time?

No, but you need to watch your defenses.

3. What basic skills should I invest in?

weapons, armor, hp, spells, all else is up to you

I played around with my level 19 giantman cleric and this is what i could do

armor - 21 (aiming for brig ASAP)
thw - 21
cm - 21 (+1 as / 2 ranks, plus cman skills, limited for clerics, pick one to get good at to start, feint, disarm or dirtkick
moc - 5 (2 different critters, aim is 30, mstrike one critter 2x)
hp - 38 (2x-1 , mana)
smc - 24 , stopping here, mana return and raise dead
spells 215, 103, 318 , heroism, raise dead, spirit defense, next best bet is likely going to 120 for alkars, or 225 for transference
miu - 10 - imbeds
arcane sym - 10 - scroll reading
climb 5
swim 5 - gets you to wolves den else zero
perception 5
22/1 left over

4. Regarding forging (something I'd like this character to do), I read something about character class affecting the outcome of forging results? That is, magic users will have a harder time than say, a warrior?

No idea, sorry

5. Spells...at what rate should I train these? What spells should I aim for first? I also read something about maintaining +21 cleric spell ranks relative to ones level?

Can't afford it, ever, tps are tough, to get to 30 MOC is gonna be tough. Arguably you can try to train in ambush or dodge, but MOC seems the best bang for the buck.

As I said, after those spells, your choice , up to 120 or 225, you can try to keep your cleric your level for CS, but as a melee user, you need to work on keeping your AS up, not your CS. Spells augment your hunting, not replace it.

6. Regarding the hunting of undead, I hear that undead are not always present to hunt for all level ranges? Is this true? Are there gaps where I'd have to hunt the living? I was considering going the Voln route and tossing some Smites around....

True, as an arms user, i'd go CoL or GoS though

My thoughts...

Asha
10-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Paladins can't raise?