PDA

View Full Version : GS = Dating Service?

Drew2
07-29-2003, 06:25 AM
<<ps- why would i care you placed me on a do not date this loser list? i'm dating graysalin in game and in real life >>

This is from the 'Most Annoying' thread, but it got me thinking about how many couples I know personally that have found love through the game. Any opinions on the matter?

Red Devil
07-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Your supposed to make worthless posts, like THIS one.

CrystalTears
07-29-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm engaged to someone I met in the game, and it happened quite by chance. Our characters were friends, never even romantically involved.

I've met quite a few people through GS, and many of the times once we established a friendship out of the game, playing in the game was rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I've never used the game as source for romance or relationships.

Halfsilver
07-29-2003, 02:48 PM
Atheana and i date IRL and IG, and we're very happy. I've been with her now for almost 4 years and i plan on marrying her in the not too distant future.

since we've been together, we've met several of our gs friends. A couple of'em turned out to be close friends while another ended up being a complete dick (won't mention any names, but yeah, it was Monotoli/Ranzir.)

Anyways...meeting a Gemstoner is a 50/50 gamble. Maybe they're cool, maybe they're not. Either way, it's interesting to meet the people that you interact with in the game.

On the other hand, using the game specifically to get a date (as a 'dating service' ) or make IRL friends is lame and all who are guilty should be kicked in the ass and banned.

-grays

yeah i edited the damned post, so what?

[Edited on 7-29-2003 by Halfsilver]

Lord Deprav
07-29-2003, 03:02 PM
One of my best friends I live with plays and another one of my best friends who use to live with me plays.

Lord Deprav

Sweets
07-29-2003, 04:23 PM
I keep most relations in gemstone strictly rp. I do speak ooc and chat it up a bit( in whispers of course)...but mostly stay on the role play track. Even in romantic relations. I try to keep the rl out of it, hence I have never met anyone from the game out of Elanthia.

Drew2
07-29-2003, 06:25 PM
I follow the same habits as sweets. I talk to several people out of game, but I've never met anyone outside of the game. Well that excludes the guy that got me started in this game about 6 years ago, but he was my best friend to begin with so yeah....

Neildo
07-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Hooking up with people in this game is no different than hooking up any other way online. Whether it's a dating website, responding to some A/S/L instant message, hanging out with someone who is interested in other activities you are (cars, books, movies, sports, bars, whatever) etc, it's no different. You're chatting with someone and get to know them over time, then start talking in instant messages or whispering OOC in-game to each other about stuff. And then when you mix in that some people spend an ungodly amount of hours in-game each day and/or have been playing for years, starting to have personal relationships are bound to happen whether it's merely as friends or hooking up. It's no different with any other aspect of interaction online.

- N

Adhara
07-29-2003, 07:27 PM
I currently live with someone I met through the game. Our characters are not meant for each other though and so we're only friends in the game. I never used the game as a dating service but never closed my mind to the possibility of meeting someone through it.

I've been lucky in that the players I have met (boyfriends or not) were all like they appeared to be online. My boyfriend says gemstone women lie a lot (especially on their physical appearance) but none of the men I have met (no woman yet! been trying to go to simucon for 3 years) had lied to me as far as I know. All good experiences.

Warriorbird
07-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My wife and I met while gaming, but it wasn't playing GS, it was in a college sci-fi/fantasy frat, basically. We've since met a few people from Simu games. Sometimes they've been cool people. Other times there's just been those sort of uncomfortable silence over coffee conversations. As for those who get involved over GS? More power to you, as long as you can find other things to base your life together around.

[Edited on 7-30-2003 by Warriorbird]

Artha
08-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Where do you people meet other Gemstoners? Do you all go to Simucon?

Warriorbird
08-01-2003, 01:36 AM
There's other gatherings. Sometimes folks are just close by.

ElvenRangeress
08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
or fall inlove with the player behind a character, see the true them, its actually quite romantic, talk to them on the phone, write letters, and then after waiting a long time to hold them in your arms, when it happens, it is the most touching, and sweetest moment of your life. love is just so amazing, and the things it can do to you.

StrayRogue
08-06-2003, 10:52 AM
I brought one of my best friends to GS. I'd shag her OOG, but not IG thought. I always said to her what happens IG stays IG; if I am a bastard to her character, doesn't mean I am pissed off with her OOG. This arrangment I can happily live with.

Soulpieced
08-06-2003, 11:05 AM
I think location helps too. I've never met anyone from in game (except those that used to play at my high school, around 5), but I recently found out Wethalhalas goes to the same college I do. Though in regards to relationships, I've been dating a non-gamer for about a year and a half now, and I really can't picture myself with someone from Gemstone. Just something about it seems strange to me, though I've always considered myself as somewhat of a GS outsider due to not having any physical abnormalities and probably one of the more "normal" people one may encounter from the game.

Trinitis
08-06-2003, 12:04 PM
Well, anyone that knows Adredrin knows about his up and comming wedding in game with Mazelina. Anyone that knows me, knows about my birthday present that is arraving on Aug 21st. (my birthday) which is Mazelina's player flying over. What some of them don't know is that I met Kylie (the player) outside of GS, and dragged her into GS, and now she is hooked. Hehe.

-Adredrin

Chyrain
08-06-2003, 01:40 PM
I definitely have a serious life outside GS. I, like Soulpieced, have no serious malfunctions in my real life to need to play a character to get some action.

Any game relationships I've had in the past have always gotten a little too demanding of my time and attention. A little too much drama. A little too many expectations. So I've broken them off. Even broke something off with someone I played with for almost 4 years because I just couldn't deal with being completely stuck to one person in a game. Especially since there is nothing beyond this as a game for me.

Besides, the person I'm with thinks GS is a total waste of time. And I think watching sports on a 63 inch tv all day long is a total waste of time. So we waste our time seperately.

Halfsilver
08-08-2003, 01:19 AM
I don't think the issue was...'the need to play GS to get some action' as Soulpieced and Chyrain thought.

For me, meeting someone who played the game was purely coincidental and was not actually the primary reason we got together in the first place. Was an interesting side note that we both happened to play the game.

In my experiences as well, most players aren't physically abnormal as Soulpieced stated. During the time i was at UMBC, I met several players (5 or 6) and they seemed perfectly normal to me. Maybe Baltimore campus has a high concentration of GS 'outsiders', eh?

-grays

ElvenRangeress
08-12-2003, 03:26 AM
yeah my abnormality is that i can't type... dangit i suck.

Betheny
08-12-2003, 06:31 AM
I met my roommate through Gemstone, though our friendship is based more off of real life than Gemstone (as our characters rarely interact.)

I'm dating someone from Gemstone.

Hm. As for gatherings, there's one in St. Paul MN on the 16th (this coming Saturday.) If you're interested in coming, email me at b_schoenborn@hotmail.com. Make sure to put GS in the subject or I'll probably delete it inadvertently.

Bastard
08-12-2003, 06:51 AM
Met my best friend through Gemstone seven years ago. Also did one or two incredibly foolish things that convinced me that meeting women via the internet is an extremely bad idea.

ElvenRangeress
08-13-2003, 12:00 AM
i'm cool michy? awwwwwww (laugh) we think you guys are cool too!

Betheny
08-13-2003, 06:35 AM
There are predators out there though. People like a certain unmentionable toe-happy mage. Gemstone is a roleplaying game, not an alternate life. Those that play it like it's their second life are really scary.

edge
08-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Angellisa would send people old pics of when she was skinny. Then I went to pick her up at the airport at Simucon and didn't recognize her. OMG! She looked like she ate herself a few to many times.... Was a horrible experience.

edge

Drew2
08-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
There are predators out there though. People like a certain unmentionable toe-happy mage. Gemstone is a roleplaying game, not an alternate life. Those that play it like it's their second life are really scary.

Klaive is a sorcerer.

AnticorRifling
08-13-2003, 04:39 PM
I make friends in GS and meet/talk to them OOG as well but that's it, I've been dating someone else since long before I started GS and we got married last week so relationships, romantic ones, don't exist for me anywhere else.

I've had several people try to start relationships with me in GS but I discourage it because I feel it's unfair to them if they are seeking something I won't commit to. All have been understanding and all remain friends so far.