PDA

View Full Version : The ____ Apocalypse

Stanley Burrell
08-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Alright. The End of Days.

A lot of you guys/girls/its seem hellbent on the Apocalypse being zombie-oriented. Preparation is good, but what if we're going about this all wrong?

What type of Apocalypse will claim our puny husks? What can we do, as a community, to make this thread not suck? I'm really bored. And chaffed.

So: Yeah.

Stanley Burrell
08-30-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm going to say Other: Robots/cyborgs/technology -- Particularly some sort of AI hive-mind originally intended for making our lives easier ultimately turning against us.

WRoss
08-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Insects are going to evolve and start preying on us.

Tisket
08-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Insects are going to involve and start preying on us.

I'm sure you meant "evolve". And they already prey on us.

WRoss
08-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks teach!

Kuyuk
08-30-2010, 10:01 PM
I think Monks will invade after they get released in 2008.

Celephais
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Viral, only because zombieism is a virus, and this way I double my vote.

4a6c1
08-30-2010, 10:38 PM
I will creme myself over and over again if we have an Alien Invasion apocellipses, ...

First I will buy a trekkie uniform. TNG: Blue because I look hot in blue. THEN. I will finally join that stupid ghey ass fanclub. They probably have a spaceship. THEN. I will start acting like a robot like Data because Data always survives every episode.

Mostly this is pointless and all of us will die because there is no Picard irl. :(

DCSL
08-30-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm going to go with Other. Although it may be covered under Supernatural. You tell me.

I think the Hellmouth (it's in Jersey) will open and the fell armies of darkness will overrun the world, leaving Terra a blasted husk of a planet, burning with eternal hellfire as it spins on into oblivion.

Rucca
08-30-2010, 10:50 PM
It's definitely going to be viral. It's going to be sick. No pun intended.

peam
08-30-2010, 10:58 PM
Viral/bacterial or nuclear.

I'm leaning towards the former.

Gnome Rage
08-30-2010, 11:00 PM
I was on the fence between viral and nuclear - I suppose I picked nuclear cause it looked lonely

m444w
08-30-2010, 11:09 PM
I was not sure if nature strikes back meant asteroid/comet deep impact style, or intense gamma radiation burst from a nearby supernova... It seemed more like global warming or something to me. So I went with other...

Methais
08-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Either we're going to kill ourselves, or aliens will come and do it. I mean we're trying to send out a signal from earth in case some aliens happen to be passing by with an earth-to-alien-signal receiver, so it's pretty much a done deal depending on if it's picked up by the Rebellion or the Empire first.

Celephais
08-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I was not sure if nature strikes back meant asteroid/comet deep impact style, or intense gamma radiation burst from a nearby supernova... It seemed more like global warming or something to me. So I went with other...

Nature strikes back = The Happening. We all get so fucking bored we just kill ourselves.

Tisket
08-30-2010, 11:32 PM
If it's not viral, it'll be a planet-killer meteor.

Delias
08-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Self replicating nano-machines will strip the planet bare of all resources, including human flesh, to reproduce themselves. They cannot escape their programming!

Tisket
08-30-2010, 11:38 PM
The PMS cycle of all women becomes synchronized. The human race is fucked.

Delias
08-30-2010, 11:40 PM
The PMS cycle of all women becomes synchronized. The human race is fucked.

Having five sisters, I already have a hollow tooth filled with cyanide for just such a contingency.

Methais
08-30-2010, 11:45 PM
I changed my mind. I think the world is just gonna gay itself to death.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Bacteria and viruses evolve as-is as fast as we can handle. Double the speed just once and it's bad news.

The fact that we use a ton of sanitizers, abuse antibiotics, etc... we're setting ourselves up to breed a super virus.

If you look at humans through out time there have been some major bottlenecks in population. We're well due for another one. I don't feel particularly doomsday-y in that I think it's within the realm of possibility that in my time a super virus will wipe out a large swathe of population, somewhere. 90 percent of the human population? I hope not, but I think if something severely cripples the human population it absolutely will be a virus.

Celephais
08-31-2010, 12:56 AM
I hope not, but I think if something severely cripples the human population it absolutely will be Celephais' epeener.

Sad to see moosepigdickhands go, long live the robot box!

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Sad to see moosepigdickhands go, long live the robot box!

Is it possible to hate and love someone simultaneously? If so, Cel qualifies.

Moosepigdickhands will absolutely make his return in a month or two, just to torment you, fyi.

Wyrmx
08-31-2010, 07:18 AM
[QUOTE=Mighty Nikkisaurus;1163218]Bacteria and viruses evolve as-is as fast as we can handle. Double the speed just once and it's bad news.

Its not just that, we're creating them too and it wont be long before a nasty escapes our control. :wtf:

Proxy
08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
I'm thinking Zombieland FTW

Valthissa
08-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Talk of the apocalypse reminds me of T.S. Eliot.

The Hollow Men ends with the famous lines:

For Thine is the Kingdom
For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

C/Valth

Parkbandit
08-31-2010, 12:57 PM
I would have said computers or viruses.. but after seeing that clip of discovered asteroids.. I'm saying that.

Liagala
08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
I think it's within the realm of possibility that in my time a super virus will wipe out a large swathe of population, somewhere. 90 percent of the human population?

http://top-10-list.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/the-stand-movie.jpg

Danical
08-31-2010, 01:28 PM
A virus that causes humans to turn into zombies, and then the zombies launch nuclear weapons.

Stanley Burrell
08-31-2010, 02:51 PM
I would have said computers or viruses.. but after seeing that clip of discovered asteroids.. I'm saying that.

I was thinking the same thing. But then I thought, "if we keep on getting that much better at detecting whatever it is that's flying around our solar system, we have that much more preparation against a large death meteor."

So, assuming we manage to keep detecting space objects, there has to be a point where NASA is like, "This gigantic iron rock almost the size of our planet is going to crash into us at exactly time X with the trajectory of Y and Z." And then we blow it up. That is, if we can create that technology without first succumbing to an Armageddon (including a large asteroid impact) up until that point.

So, actually, yeah I dunno.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing. But then I thought, "if we keep on getting that much better at detecting whatever it is that's flying around our solar system, we have that much more preparation against a large death meteor."

So, assuming we manage to keep detecting space objects, there has to be a point where NASA is like, "This gigantic iron rock almost the size of our planet is going to crash into us at exactly time X with the trajectory of Y and Z." And then we blow it up. That is, if we can create that technology without first succumbing to an Armageddon (including a large asteroid impact) up until that point.

So, actually, yeah I dunno.

How about this, we manage to blow up a doomsday meteor but we're still gonna get hit with smaller chunks of it, which causes a lot of death and carnage and destruction. On the meteor is an alien virus that infects people and turns them into zombies.

Celephais
08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
It's not like those asteroids are created as we discover them... our planet is constantly bombarded, and in the past 65 million years we haven't had another extinction level impact. Humans have been around for about 200,000 years (or 9,000, same thing), and we've reached a point of exceptionally rapid technological advancement. Imagine where our technology will be if we go without an extinction event for another mere million years.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Apophis is the asteroid most likely to hit earth (and have a doomsday kind of impact) and 2029 is the next time that there's even a slight probability of that happening. The next pass after that would be in 2036 and apparently the close pass from '29 will throw off the orbit enough that it'll reduce the chances to something like 1 in 300,000. I definitely don't think death from space rock is likely. Plus, I refuse to die from anything from space that isn't an alien or a black hole.

Delias
08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
When I discover the first alien life form capable of breeding with me, I will bring back space-herpes. Space-herpes is lethal to humans. I'm sure I'll be sorry to be the downfall of mankind, but man, you should have will be seeing that hot ass alien bitch.

Tea & Strumpets
08-31-2010, 05:56 PM
I will creme myself over and over again if we have an Alien Invasion apocellipses, ...

First I will buy a trekkie uniform. TNG: Blue because I look hot in blue. THEN. I will finally join that stupid ghey ass fanclub. They probably have a spaceship. THEN. I will start acting like a robot like Data because Data always survives every episode.

Mostly this is pointless and all of us will die because there is no Picard irl. :(

Did anybody see that movie Galaxy Quest? Two thumbs up.

m444w
08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Apophis is the asteroid most likely to hit earth (and have a doomsday kind of impact) and 2029 is the next time that there's even a slight probability of that happening. The next pass after that would be in 2036 and apparently the close pass from '29 will throw off the orbit enough that it'll reduce the chances to something like 1 in 300,000. I definitely don't think death from space rock is likely. Plus, I refuse to die from anything from space that isn't an alien or a black hole.

I read an article that said there is an asteroid that is scheduled to impact the planet in 179 years (relatively small amount of time by earth standards) ... I'll see if I can find the article if I am bored later.

And if anyone is a Stephen Hawking fan he has already warned us that we need to expand where the human population is located beyond planet earth, shouldn't keep all your eggs in the same basket.

While a zombie virus would be cool, I see it as practically impossible given the sheer firepower that would be brought to bare in the event of such an outbreak, and the likelihood that it would occur in some dirty third-world nation (unless it is engineered, which is a valid possibility as well).

But the fact of how prevalent the symptoms would be they'd probably nuke the entire infected area, quarantine or shoot anyone that came from that area, problem solved.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
I read an article that said there is an asteroid that is scheduled to impact the planet in 179 years (relatively small amount of time by earth standards) ... I'll see if I can find the article if I am bored later.

And if anyone is a Stephen Hawking fan he has already warned us that we need to expand where the human population is located beyond planet earth, shouldn't keep all your eggs in the same basket.

While a zombie virus would be cool, I see it as practically impossible given the sheer firepower that would be brought to bare in the event of such an outbreak, and the likelihood that it would occur in some dirty third-world nation (unless it is engineered, which is a valid possibility as well).

But the fact of how prevalent the symptoms would be they'd probably nuke the entire infected area, quarantine or shoot anyone that came from that area, problem solved.
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

It's important to note that Nasa has not said with 100 percent certainty that anything absolutely will impact earth, just that there is elevated risk during close passes with large asteroids.

If you scroll down you'll see there are a lot of close passes, but if you look at the actual probability of risk of impact, everything is low on the Torino scale.

Back
08-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Haters try to incite, plan for and wait for the supposed apocalypse.

Lovers got better things to do.

m444w
08-31-2010, 10:05 PM
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

It's important to note that Nasa has not said with 100 percent certainty that anything absolutely will impact earth, just that there is elevated risk during close passes with large asteroids.

If you scroll down you'll see there are a lot of close passes, but if you look at the actual probability of risk of impact, everything is low on the Torino scale.

Ah, thank you for that. Who thought news articles could be misleading!?!

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Haters try to incite, plan for and wait for the supposed apocalypse.

Lovers got better things to do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/PsiElement/nasahaters.jpg

Back
08-31-2010, 11:18 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/Insane-Clown-Posse/ImageMacro/2384815/APOCALYPSE-HOW-DO-THEY-WORK.jpg