PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance Festivals/Medieval Faire garb

4a6c1
08-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Texas Renaissance Festival WHOOO!

Soooo, I am taking my kid to this thing later in the year and I'm trying to get a head start on the costumes and need some help.

I refuse to make anything. I will be buying whole costumes, 2 of them. I dont feel like being fitted and I want to order online! So post websites you like if you have experience with this sort of thing. Also horror stories. Advice for taking kids. Anything goes. Yay RenFair!

http://www.texrenfest.com/

Back
08-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Yay RenFair!

Maryland Renfest opens this weekend. Got a big swarthy group all ready to go in a couple of weeks. So much fun.

Good luck on costume search. Pics are mandatory!

Fallen
08-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Didn't go the opening weekend of the festival, but I will be at the MD one several times throughout the year. Just go to the various shops and look around, RD. Don't buy the first thing you see, but you should atleast try to buy some items from your local faire to support the artists. You'll pay more, but not TOO much more if you're willing to price shop.

Cephalopod
08-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Ahh, cleavage. How I love thee.

Stanley Burrell
08-29-2010, 04:04 PM

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5867/robind.png

?

Drew
08-29-2010, 04:17 PM
The only rule is if 50% of your breasts are not exposed you're doing it wrong.

B4Hand
08-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I too will be attending the Texas Ren this year. I am very lucky to have a neighbor(also my best friend's daughter) who is a wonderful seamstress. We've started work on my costume, I am excited!

You may check, your local costume stores, sometimes they carry Ren-type attire.

Asile
08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Texas Renaissance Festival WHOOO!

Soooo, I am taking my kid to this thing later in the year and I'm trying to get a head start on the costumes and need some help.

I refuse to make anything. I will be buying whole costumes, 2 of them. I dont feel like being fitted and I want to order online! So post websites you like if you have experience with this sort of thing. Also horror stories. Advice for taking kids. Anything goes. Yay RenFair!

http://www.texrenfest.com/

If you're only going once and want to be costumed, I've had quite a bit of luck with Renstore.com (http://www.renstore.com) for various pieces; the prices are decent, the quality is pretty nice, and most of it is machine washable.

And while you're at the faire, yes, definitely check out the merchants and try to buy from them for next year.

If you don't really want to make huge investments, take a look into rentals. I know the MD Ren Fest has costume rentals available, that seem pretty popular (thanks to SimuCon and SCA, I've always had my own garb), or see if you can find a costume shop that'll rent costumes to you (I worked at one in northern VA that did a huge rental business; it just may be hard finding rentals for the kids).

I second the note of mandatory pics.

And boo for me not being able to go to MD Ren Faire this year. Maybe I'll try for next year, though I'm not sure if I'll be up to doing it with a 9-month-old and nearly-three-year-old, not to mention the 2.5-hour drives to get there and then get back.

kookiegod
08-29-2010, 10:55 PM
museumreplicas is a decent site for gear

Sylvan Dreams
08-29-2010, 11:21 PM
I usually just wear some of my bellydance clothes and dress up as a gypsy, though my favorite tops and favorite skirt were purchased at a ren fest.

If you're just trying to put together one good outfit, first figure out what you'd like to dress as - gypsy? noblewoman? bar wench? whatever. That makes it MUCH easier to narrow down your options. If you think you'd like to switch things up, get a good basic skirt, blouse and bodice, and then you can change your look by changing your accessories and how you wear your clothing.

Gnome Rage
08-30-2010, 12:06 AM
I have a black dress that laces in the front and a pull tie - I got it at just a small town consignment shop a few years ago. That is my plan with maybe some boots. Not sure what I'm doing for the rest, but I think that you should get an idea together and go search through a nice big goodwill or something like that.

It was like a 5 dollar dress and I'm so excited.

Proxy
08-30-2010, 12:15 AM
http://stores.renstore.com/StoreFront.bok Enjoy

Edit: you can always ebay your outfits. Search under SCA Garb

iJin
08-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Dress as if you're in GS. That's what Seamus did.

BriarFox
08-30-2010, 01:50 AM
Dress as if you're in GS. That's what Seamus did.

I'm having trouble with the nightmare-black pauldrons of doom adorned with clusters of deathspikes. :(

Proxy
08-30-2010, 02:18 AM
don't forget about the veil iron

Back
09-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Going to MD Ren Fest this Sunday the 19th with some fun people.

Group open. :)

4a6c1
09-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Awesome back. post pics.

Also. I always forget to update my stupid threads. I decided to get there and buy something because I cant find anything I like online. I am uber picky when it comes to clothes and I guess weird dressup clothes falls into that as well.

diethx
09-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Awesome back. post pics.

Also. I always forget to update my stupid threads. I decided to get there and buy something because I cant find anything I like online. I am uber picky when it comes to clothes and I guess weird dressup clothes falls into that as well.

As noted in your avatar.

4a6c1
09-18-2010, 12:50 AM
My fetish is fashionably famous. Everybody is doing it.

DCSL
09-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Lucy in Disguise in Austin on South Congress has a buttload of costumes for rent.

4a6c1
09-18-2010, 01:10 AM
<3 Lucy's!!

Nobody has what I'm looking for. I want a leather bodice, natural color (not kinky black or scary red) with some kind of celtic design on it, birds or dogs. I realize this will be the most expensive peice. And I dont feel like wearing a dress this year. I have the leggings and the boots. But I also want a tunic of some kind, not white. Maybe red. Or emerald. Ok typing it out just made sense in my mind. I want to be a pirate lady but not like. ARGH MATEY. More like I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DOOOAL.

Amber
09-18-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm going to the TX renfair too! Can hardly wait. I'll be wearing "a floral and ribbon hair garland, a gold necklace with an opal pendant, a leaf-patterned green brocade bodice with a matching overskirt, a pale pink underskirt, a gold ring, and some slippers." A friend's mom made the outfit for me a couple of years ago, before I moved to Washington, and I've been waiting forever for a chance to wear it.

One word of caution though, watch out for pick-pockets! When I went three years ago, I was standing with a group of friends watching one of the shows when this guy came up and started talking to all of us. After a couple minutes, he put his arm around my shoulders and proceeded to take my necklace (family heirloom which was worth a few hundred, but was infinitely valuable to me), without any of us even realizing it until a few minutes after he'd left.

Have you tried http://www.pendragoncostumes.com They have tooled bodices in either brown or black, but no birds or dogs, though they do have a "design your own" option, so perhaps they'd make a custom design for you?

FNLN
09-18-2010, 03:24 AM
I might hit the MD one at some point. If I remember this time.

IorakeWarhammer
09-18-2010, 10:43 AM
i wanna take my wife to the lancaster renaissance festival in PA