PDA

View Full Version : Made my night.

Jenisi
07-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Last night I saw my first shooting star! I've waited for meteor showers, used to live in the middle of nowhere where you could see ever star in the sky, but never had the pleasure of seeing one. I just thought it was the coolest thing so I thought i'd share it with you all! Thanks for listening even thou you don't care.

CrystalTears
07-30-2003, 01:17 PM
I've yet to see a falling star or a comet. I feel so deprived. :sniffle:

But I have seen Saturn and it's rings! That was very cool.

[Edited on 7/30/2003 by CrystalTears]

Red Devil
07-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Your both liars, other planets don't exist, it's the governments way of making us think their space shit wasnt a failure

Askip
07-30-2003, 01:55 PM
Congrats!

http://www.skypub.com

is worth looking at if you are interested in the sky.

:D

P.S. In August, Mars will be closer to Earth than it has been in 60,000 years -
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/article_985_1.asp

[Edited on 7-30-2003 by Askip]

CrystalTears
07-30-2003, 02:06 PM
It's already close. You can see it now. :D

Warriorbird
07-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Falling stars are great. Wonderful excuse to climb out on the roof with a member of the opposite sex. But, then again, who really needs an excuse?

:)

Ilvane
07-30-2003, 05:39 PM
I want a nice guy to climb up on the roof with and look at the stars! :P

Anyway...yeah, shooting stars are cool!

-A

Makkah
07-31-2003, 01:11 PM
Well congrats on seeing your first! I've seen 2 that really stuck out in my mind and a handful of other really fast and unremarkables.

The two i saw, funny enough, were both with girlfriends that I really loved (at the time). It's crazy how good timing can be :-D

rht

Parkbandit
07-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Just keep up with the news.. at least twice a year they are saying you should be looking into the sky for a meteor shower.

You don't see one shooting star, you see literally hundreds.

Skirmisher
07-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Definitely watch the news for upcoming showers.

There have been at least two really nice lengthy meteor showers that I have seen in my( the NYC) area in the last several years. The last one this last year was I think the Leonids(sp) meteor shower and it was incredible even this close to NYC. In a more rural area it must have been simply breathtaking.

Every 10-20 seconds for I think more than hour there was one or more that would come streaking across the sky. It was at about 3-4 am I think but we had a group of several hundred assembled in one of our larger county parks to watch it.

It was quite beautiful.