PDA

View Full Version : So... now what?

JustDan
08-24-2010, 12:25 PM
With Marlu either done, or on hiatus... now what? Like it or not, it seems like it involved a lot of people in something, and now that 'mission' is over, people are bleeding out. Spiffy's selling, along with a few others. Right now there are 130 people logged in. Down from ~180 or so. That kinda stings.

So... now what?

As Marlu (for better or worse) showed, it's entirely within our power to influence the game in large ways. I've got a few ideas (but not enough TIME) on how to spice things up, make it interesting, and keep people around. But what about the rest of you? What're you doing now? Just hammering out levels?

I think a group of players (or in some cases, a single player) can make things a lot more fun.

One idea of mine:

Unions! Imagine an Empath Union? Pay up and you get access to table empaths, fogging and locating services, and the like. Don't pay? No worries, you can deal with the non-union Empaths. No griefing, and probably something like a Hippocratic Oath (We'll heal a bleeder, to keep you from dying, but won't take the minor or do any other work). Or a rogue's union? Same thing with lockpicking tables, guild gear runs, blah blah blah. I think this could be fun...

In any case... just wondering what the next chapter of Shattered is going to be?

Buckwheet
08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Probably more people leaving is the next chapter. I am surprised to see the number of people leaving at this point. Maybe its just to try and capture some cash.

Donquix
08-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't think the change in userbase is significantly connected to marlu.

With any new service there is going to be the initial surge and reduction as people try it and decide it isn't for them. That's to be expected, really.

Spiffy shows up, writes scripts, then cancels for 6 months with regularity. Nothing new there :-P

SpiffyJr
08-24-2010, 12:37 PM
To quote Tillmen: "I like money!"

Cthulu
08-24-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't think

Interesting post, I both commend you and at the same time hold immense disdain for you.

Toadkin
08-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't think the change in userbase is significantly connected to marlu.

So far GSF has followed almost to the tea the same history of DRF. Hopefully it maintains a higher player base (DRF has about 35-40 characters logged in at a time, and most everyone MA'ed).

One thing I'm sure would keep people around longer is if there was slightly more GM involvement. More invasions, more random alters, etc.

Michaelous
08-24-2010, 12:46 PM
But what about the rest of you? What're you doing now? Just hammering out levels?

that probobly includes marlu as well, with every experience things are learned and refined and returned with greater efficiency.

Donquix
08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Interesting post, I both commend you and at the same time hold immense disdain for you.

Your mom.

Baelog
08-24-2010, 12:49 PM
So...now what? After a group of people have banded together to remove the pox that basically was like the giant raging boil on the ass of Shattered?.

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pkFG4ZVB4rWcTvgyjTuLftzXVidtzQnJaMlr2HnvK7oJiGy4 TFDXtL4_VQt9BV19dTT14uihj7AU

Now, you can play the game

Drunken Durfin
08-24-2010, 12:54 PM
So...now what? After a group of people have banded together to remove the pox that basically was like the giant raging boil on the ass of Shattered?.

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pkFG4ZVB4rWcTvgyjTuLftzXVidtzQnJaMlr2HnvK7oJiGy4 TFDXtL4_VQt9BV19dTT14uihj7AU

Luckily we didn't have to work that hard...but yeah.

FAPAuctions
08-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Same plan it's always been.

1) AFK script to cap
2) Grief everyone who was slower than me
3) Quit a few days later of boredom

BriarFox
08-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Heh. More like this, actually:

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/rrjudkins/Ryanatcomputer.jpg

NocturnalRob
08-24-2010, 01:07 PM
hahaha...you proud-looking motherfucker.

FAPAuctions
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM

Don't get ahead of yourself. A few of us are still oozing puss, and I can't be the only person who's going to be bored for something to do at cap.

Who's playing the game at this point, anyway?

Check AFK script.
Still in?
Yes - Go AFK.
No - Start script. Go AFK.
^

BriarFox
08-24-2010, 01:09 PM
hahaha...you proud-looking motherfucker.

You would be, too!

Baelog
08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
This still makes you Cartman for actually getting everyone organized and together, Briars

http://celtic.theoffside.com/files/2008/04/cartman.jpg

NocturnalRob
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
You would be, too!
I like the fox painting in the background too. Gotta rep the avatar.

BriarFox
This still makes you Cartman for actually getting everyone organized and together, Briars

http://celtic.theoffside.com/files/2008/04/cartman.jpg

I do make a mean chili. Seriously, though, most of the credit goes to the others on Vanguard Command and the rest to the Vanguard members.

Fortybox

Necen's hawt. Jaedawg I may have to leave you for him...or we could all have fun together!

BriarFox
08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I like the fox painting in the background too. Gotta rep the avatar.

My girlfriend did that for my birthday last year. I love it. It was originally a tattoo idea.

NocturnalRob
08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
tramp stamp? or was it a tattoo for her?

BriarFox
08-24-2010, 01:17 PM
tramp stamp? or was it a tattoo for her?

Nah, left shoulder, opposite this one: http://forum.gsplayers.com/showpost.php?p=1094940&postcount=81 (excuse the crappy mirror picture, please).

NocturnalRob
08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
so what happened? ink that shit, son!

SpiffyJr
08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Same plan it's always been.

1) AFK script to cap
2) Grief everyone who was slower than me
3) Quit a few days later of boredom

Can you just skip to step 3 for us?

BriarFox
08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
so what happened? ink that shit, son!

Soon!

Shattered Dreamer
08-24-2010, 01:22 PM

I like that wall color.

Drunken Durfin
08-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Heh. More like this, actually...

Put some shoes on you hippy.

BriarFox
08-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Hippies wear Birkenstocks! And mine are downstairs. :P

Liagala
08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Back to the OP's point... Marlu is done, funny logs are out, everyone's having a good laugh. Now what do we do? I'm still in favor of a couple groups forming up and going at it, as long as innocent people are left out of it.

Drunken Durfin
08-24-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm fine with that.

I have an innocent that I want to keep out of the mix myself though.

peam
08-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Well, hello handsome.

Liagala
08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm fine with that.

I have an innocent that I want to keep out of the mix myself though.

I'll probably keep Bacons out of most of the main action, unless I find myself opposite Necen, Jefferydahmer, Someone, or one of the other high level people. It wouldn't be fair to go prancing into a level 30 hunting ground on her and pwning everything. I have a few little ones from 25 - 40 though, and that should do well. Bacons can continue her table empath-ness, and heal/give spells.

Who else is interested? Do we want random groups, or guilds like the OP suggested, or what?

Drunken Durfin
08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Who else is interested? Do we want random groups, or guilds like the OP suggested, or what?

Both I would imagine. Would open up more options for spies!

Anyone remember the RPG Paranoia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_%28role-playing_game%29)?

Liagala
08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Both I would imagine. Would open up more options for spies!

Anyone remember the RPG Paranoia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_%28role-playing_game%29)?

Oooh. I like how you think.

JustDan
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
What about teams? Each team agrees to a wager (10m silvers, or a particular item or set of items, or losers have to wear all pink for a month, or whatever), and a time frame.

Example:

MarluRemnants vs. DepletedVanguard

Members do NOT have to be disclosed until the end of the time period. Time period=1 month. At the end of the month, most verified kills wins. Winner gets 30m silvers (or whatever).

Each team leader would have to announce four teammates beforehand, and any time a new teammate logs a kill, they need to declare their allegiance (to prevent any random griefing accusations).

Rules of Engagement: Anything goes! Treasure stealing, AFK killing, weapon stealing, you name it. If we're gonna do it, let's do it right.

Just my random 8 AM pre-caffeine idea, but you get the concept. I think this could be doable, and fun for everyone involved while not messing with innocents.

FAPAuctions
08-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't really play or pay enough attention to actively be involved in something organized. What I will do, however, is stop using a glass amulet and announce on FAP or Shattered when I'm going to go out marauding about the countryside (along with the general area I'll be in).

I only play for 20 or 30 minutes a night, but if anyone or group is around when I announce and feels like trying to stop me from sodomizing roltons outside the Landing, the opportunity will be there.

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 10:09 AM
I don't really play or pay enough attention to actively be involved in something organized. What I will do, however, is stop using a glass amulet and announce on FAP or Shattered when I'm going to go out marauding about the countryside (along with the general area I'll be in).

I only play for 20 or 30 minutes a night, but if anyone or group is around when I announce and feels like trying to stop me from sodomizing roltons outside the Landing, the opportunity will be there.

And spend 23 hours coding evvvval scripts.

I like how you downplay your time here but I've seen some of your scripts. Stop acting like you are hardly here.

Paradii
08-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Take your shoes off while inside the house, you dirtbag!

FAPAuctions
08-25-2010, 10:43 AM
And spend 23 hours coding evvvval scripts.

I like how you downplay your time here but I've seen some of your scripts. Stop acting like you are hardly here.

I think you have me confused with Cervina. My scripts are shitty 5-line hack jobs that just hardly get the job done.

Weird that you think accusing me of spending time playing games is some kind of attack. I wish I had more time to play..

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 11:04 AM
I think you have me confused with Cervina. My scripts are shitty 5-line hack jobs that just hardly get the job done.

Weird that you think accusing me of spending time playing games is some kind of attack. I wish I had more time to play..

Please, someone who dedicates the time to write up a script that curses crap and go from hunting area to hunting area or who writes a script to crash the game/do mechanics abuse by making people squelch their bard's actions has too much time on their hands.

Stop acting like you actually do something in life. You're a failure at it and that's why you have to take it out on a text-based game.

My guess is you are pissed off at Simu in some fashion and intend to make them loose revenue. You're that pathetic.

FAPAuctions
08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Please, someone who dedicates the time to write up a script that curses crap and go from hunting area to hunting area or who writes a script to crash the game/do mechanics abuse by making people squelch their bard's actions has too much time on their hands.

Stop acting like you actually do something in life. You're a failure at it and that's why you have to take it out on a text-based game.

My guess is you are pissed off at Simu in some fashion and intend to make them loose revenue. You're that pathetic.

LOL!

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/29358/original/umad.jpg

IorakeWarhammer
08-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I think he just wanted to take advantage of one of the potential identities in Shattered.

Give him a little credit. He made this more interesting and entertaining for all of us.

You guys really just wanted to script to 100 and then start to PvP? Cmon. These guys were that spice in your food that made you wince but kept it from being bland.

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I think he just wanted to take advantage of one of the potential identities in Shattered.

Give him a little credit. He made this more interesting and entertaining for all of us.

You guys really just wanted to script to 100 and then start to PvP? Cmon. These guys were that spice in your food that made you wince but kept it from being bland.

Causing the game to crash and abusing game mechanics is crossing the line. There is a big difference between having fun PvPing and affecting people's ability to play the game.

Most people would like to have a gaming community. These idiots are trying to break it up.

calidus
08-25-2010, 12:21 PM

lol... wow.

Perhaps you're the one doing the overcompensation.

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 12:26 PM
lol... wow.

Perhaps you're the one doing the overcompensation.

Not after listening to you guys for 2 months. You'd rather destroy a community than build it up.

It would have been a lot of fun to fight you guys if you showed any respect for the shattered community.

calidus
08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Not after listening to you guys for 2 months. You'd rather destroy a community than build it up.

It would have been a lot of fun to fight you guys if you showed any respect for the shattered community.

Wrong.

As an example, here is a private conversation I had with another player:

me: I'm dissapointed with the shattered community. for better or worse, we are a small community and should have done more to keep people in, not force people out.

person: Keeping people in just for the sake of keeping people in isn't always a good thing. Would you be happier in a game with 201 people including Madam, or 200 without him?

me: 201 with madam

person: ... really?

me: adds flavor.

me: you can always ignore him

There are many more like it, including posts on here which I've said similar.

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Wrong.

As an example, here is a private conversation I had with another player:

There are many more like it, including posts on here which I've said similar.

Here is a private conversation I had with you:

me: Don't do it man. Just don't do it. You have a lot to live for.

emodric: ITS NOT FAIR. I DONT CARE WUT U SAY!! IM LOGGING OFF. FUUUUU.

<emodric has logged off>
<emodric has logged on>

emodric: I'm back. <SIGH>. this sux, i can't stand it all. i cant do anything. all i can do is table rez cuz whenever i go out people always kill me. i dont get it man.

me: Well maybe you should have thought about the community and your actions?

emodric: STFU MAN. I CANT STAND THIS. THATS IT IM GOING TO DO IT FOR REAL. I HATE EVERYONE AND I HATE GS. I HAAAAATTTTEEEEEE IT SO MUCH. WHTEVER IM GOUING ITO DO IT.

<emodric has logged off>
<emodric has logged on>

emodric: <SIGH>. SIGH sigh sigh sigh .... LE SIGH

<emodric has logged off>

me: wtf?

Liagala
08-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Actually, he did have exactly that conversation. I was "Person" in what he posted. I told him at the time that I thought he was nuts, but that is exactly what he said.

calidus
08-25-2010, 12:46 PM

Typical response from you.

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Typical response from you.

Nah, this would be:

http://a.imagehost.org/0900/emo-1.jpg

calidus
08-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Nah, this would be:

http://a.imagehost.org/0900/emo-1.jpg

I stand corrected.

FAPAuctions
08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Causing the game to crash and abusing game mechanics is crossing the --- error: server_thread: Invalid argument

--- error: server_thread: Invalid argument

pabstblueribbon
08-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Here's the problem with hack n slash Muds.. There's a million threads discussing it on Imaginary Realities' forums dating back to the 90's.

Gemstone, although very different from most, is basically a hunt and kill things for cash/loot to buy cool items. Its a very basic form of game play.

There are Muds out there that incorporate mechanics to involve the player base in some sort of team work objective. It can be a 'capture the flag' style game, which you have to go through different motions or requirements to do so. It can be a real economy where items are purely made through player skills and are necessary for survival. This is usually coupled with a city-based RTS style of mechanic. Then there are quests which are generally puzzles that require an item and you to go to a specific area's to progress through this quest. Some require multiple people.. really its whatever you want to create. Most of these mechanics generate content from the player-base. IE they give them the tools and the choice to interact in these types of games, and the competition and roleplay generates another type of content without GM involvement. Aka giving them a sand-box.

That being said, the only thing Gemstone really has other than hack and slash, are invasions and RP events. Both of which are not dynamically generated and require work and time from a GM. Although occasionally fun, it really isn't sustainable. The only real attempt at dynamic content has been the addition of the Adventure's Guild and possibly Warcamps. Even though they encourage co-operation between players, they still simply boil down to hack and slash.

Many of these systems simply will NOT work in the Gemstone environment. Though I think if each city had some sort of 'relic' that granted 'citizens' some special trinket, who's rewards could vary incredibly, would really liven up co-operation and co-operative town vs town play. Each city would need a combination of other cities relics to activate their reward, requiring alliances and the dynamic roleplay content that this sort of thing generates.

Anyways, I'm sure this is TLDR material.

FAPAuctions
08-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Here's the problem with hack n slash Muds.. There's a million threads discussing it on Imaginary Realities' forums dating back to the 90's.

Gemstone, although very different from most, is basically a hunt and kill things for cash/loot to buy cool items. Its a very basic form of game play.

There are Muds out there that incorporate mechanics to involve the player base in some sort of team work objective. It can be a 'capture the flag' style game, which you have to go through different motions or requirements to do so. It can be a real economy where items are purely made through player skills and are necessary for survival. This is usually coupled with a city-based RTS style of mechanic. Then there are quests which are generally puzzles that require an item and you to go to a specific area's to progress through this quest. Some require multiple people.. really its whatever you want to create. Most of these mechanics generate content from the player-base. IE they give them the tools and the choice to interact in these types of games, and the competition and roleplay generates another type of content without GM involvement. Aka giving them a sand-box.

That being said, the only thing Gemstone really has other than hack and slash, are invasions and RP events. Both of which are not dynamically generated and require work and time from a GM. Although occasionally fun, it really isn't sustainable. The only real attempt at dynamic content has been the addition of the Adventure's Guild and possibly Warcamps. Even though they encourage co-operation between players, they still simply boil down to hack and slash.

Many of these systems simply will NOT work in the Gemstone environment. Though I think if each city had some sort of 'relic' that granted 'citizens' some special trinket, who's rewards could vary incredibly, would really liven up co-operation and co-operative town vs town play. Each city would need a combination of other cities relics to activate their reward, requiring alliances and the dynamic roleplay content that this sort of thing generates.

Completely agree. The only thing that makes Gemstone at all unique, interesting or fun is player interaction (or GMs who do their jobs, and don't just exist to power trip or apply retarded policy). Without it, it's a barren wasteland that is little more than a shitty Choose Your Own Adventure book where you can't ever get to the end.

The actual game's mechanics are pretty awful and basic.

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 01:59 PM

I agree with mostly what you are saying.

I think a lot of the BS can be resolved if they got rid of the stupid justice system. The only reason Marlu was able to do what they did was because they had a safe zone to fall back on. Without that they wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

Liagala
08-25-2010, 02:02 PM

I think a lot of the BS can be resolved if they got rid of the stupid justice system. The only reason Marlu was able to do what they did was because they had a safe zone to fall back on. Without that they wouldn't have been able to do what they did.

Eh. I think the justice system kept Marlu from doing more. The Marlus themselves fell back on their table as a safe zone - lack of justice wouldn't have stopped that. With the justice system, people who wanted nothing to do with the war could still be safe in town.

Fortybox
08-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Eh. I think the justice system kept Marlu from doing more. The Marlus themselves fell back on their table as a safe zone - lack of justice wouldn't have stopped that. With the justice system, people who wanted nothing to do with the war could still be safe in town.

Nah, I think it allowed them to sustain their actions. If anyone was doing that people would have banded together and stopped it. Shattered needs the people to police the area and not the justice system.

I think the system is great for Prime, but it has no place here.

Liagala
08-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Nah, I think it allowed them to sustain their actions. If anyone was doing that people would have banded together and stopped it. Shattered needs the people to police the area and not the justice system.

We did band together and stop it. You may be right in that it would have happened sooner, with more people banding together, but I'm not sure. I do like the fact that people could rest in TSC without worrying that they'd be splattered.

Shattered Dreamer
08-25-2010, 02:41 PM
The actual game's mechanics are pretty awful and basic.

I have to disagree with this. I have played a LOT of text based games and GS has the best mechanics for a text based game that I've seen. Even the mechanics of DR are pretty freaking good.

Shattered Dreamer
08-25-2010, 02:43 PM

I agree with this. Justice systems should be deleted from Shattered. One of the benefits of shattered was that the community could form and enforce the world.

Cthulu
08-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Causing the game to crash and abusing game mechanics is crossing the line. There is a big difference between having fun PvPing and affecting people's ability to play the game.

Most people would like to have a gaming community. These idiots are trying to break it up.

You do realize Vanguard were the first to abuse game mechanics with sanct breaking and the stalking bullshit. 95% of us had no idea those bugs even existed prior to this.

And quit acting all butthurt over the crashes still. He crashed the server like twice.

pabstblueribbon
08-25-2010, 07:12 PM

So exactly where did I mention anything about Marlu in my post?

Are you functionally retarded?

What the Marlu did, and how the player base reacted is dynamic content in it's very simplest form. The sandbox was no rules, and the content was organized PvP. However, as you can see, it wasn't sustainable. In this instance, Marlu involved everyone even if it wasn't something everyone wanted to participate in. While fun, its completely up to the player. This is a completely different thing than what I was discussing..

I suppose, in the end, we all know Simu isn't going to do what we suggest here in this thread anyways. Shattered doesn't generate the revenue for them to care even if they implemented it in a way that it could work within the Prime rules as well. Because that would make too much sense.

How butthurt can you possibly be to constantly derail any topic about Shattered improving with some retarded Marlu tangeant/argument?