PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Future: A vision and a choice.

Shattered Dreamer
08-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Hello,

I believe there is a desire for some in Shattered for something a little different. I would like to propose the following system to further enhance the shattered atmosphere and hopefully bring about a new fun for some.

While this may not be something entirely new, I personally would enjoy it and I hope some of you would as well. While no person can or will be forced to adopt the system, I hope that by providing the proper structure and tools that people would have a desire to join.

Step 1: Choosing your Path

There will be two main choices to signify your intentions on shattered.

Peaceful: By choosing to be a peaceful, you agree to the following: No player killing, no disarming, no casting harmful spells. Basically, you're a nice person and you're not here to fight with people.

Deadly: By choosing to be a deadly, you are choosing to participate in an on-going player killing battle. The only rule a deadly has is to not kill a peaceful character.

Pretty simple right?

Again, nobody can be forced to adopt, but this provides a foundation to build upon.

Step 2: Organizations

To get the most bang for our buck, I'd like to see the following organizations for each path.

For Peacefuls, Orders would be established, (think Prime House) that would promote whatever the Leader of the Order chooses. It could be running hard mobs, scripting groups, roleplaying groups, whatever you choose. You're basically just saying you're a group of peaceful players who have decided to group together.

For Deadlies, we would further establish Clans. At a minimum, I think we should have 3 active clans. The purpose of the clan would be to dominate, decimate and control the other clans as they see fit.

Step 3: Status and Recognition

Since it is difficult trying to keep track of everything, a new script system would be established to allow each shattered player who chooses to participate the ability to see who has designated which path.

Example:

Also here: Necen (Leader, Clan Vanguard), Mordechai (Leader, Clan Marlu), Staypuff (Peaceful), Kaedra (Peaceful), Portu (Deadly).

Another piece of this script is that player kills will be tallied and displayed on a Pkill board. The player with the most pkills will be listed as #1. Clans will also be ranked in the order of pkills obtained by the clan.

Rank -- Name -- Pkills -- Pdeaths
=========================================
#1. YourMom ..... 9999 ..... 0
#2. Bloodninja ..... 1001 ..... 1001
#3. Mordechai ..... 1000 ..... 1000

Rank -- Clan-- Pkills -- Pdeaths
=========================================
#1. PkillersAnonymous ..... 9999 ..... 0
#2. WeKickUrAss ..... 1001 ..... 1001
#3. Marlu ..... 1000 ..... 9999

Mob kills (mkills) could also be tracked for the peaceful organizations if there is a desire.?

Conclusion:

Shattered is fine as it is, but I think some people are looking for something more. I think through this somewhat simple system, if adopted by enough people, it could be a lot of fun.

As this would require participation from of all of us, please post any comments or suggestions or if you think it's a stupid idea and not worth the time.

Thanks if you got this far!

n00bied00bied0
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
As this would require participation from of all of us, please post any comments or suggestions or if you think it's a stupid idea and not worth the time.

The word "all" could pose a problem, since all players do not read these forums. I like the clear division, peaceful vs. not, but what would stop one deathclan from obliterating another to the point where they leave the game?

I do agree that some players are bored since the major conflict has ceased, and also agree that the haphazard way the first group coalesced was part of the problem. A well-defined and organized attempt like the one outlined above could prove feasible, other than for the players who do not read the boards. Would they be placed as Peacefuls or left hanging out as fair game for any clan to attack due to having no stated status? I look forward to reading future posts in this folder.

SpiffyJr
08-18-2010, 04:59 PM
The word "all" could pose a problem, since all players do not read these forums. I like the clear division, peaceful vs. not, but what would stop one deathclan from obliterating another to the point where they leave the game?

Been there, done that.

I do agree that some players are bored since the major conflict has ceased, and also agree that the haphazard way the first group coalesced was part of the problem. A well-defined and organized attempt like the one outlined above could prove feasible, other than for the players who do not read the boards. Would they be placed as Peacefuls or left hanging out as fair game for any clan to attack due to having no stated status? I look forward to reading future posts in this folder.

Anyone not designated should be defaulted to Peaceful.

Sidenote: in order for this elaborate plan to work you'd have to have scripters willing to do it.

Back
08-18-2010, 05:01 PM
First I want to say I do not play Shattered. Been there done that in other games.

There is a reason why some MUDs developed the PK flag. Mainly its so everyone who plays gets what they want from the game. The suggestions the OP puts forth are solid and have been done before in other games.

I played a no holds barred game and what ended up happening was people would script all week then get together at an appointed time (with GMs) to roleplay. It was pretty cool. Of course you had your odd skirmishes here and there but overall everyone enjoyed it. It is a viable system.

Deathravin
08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Well it was my intention to set up a MHO for the 'peaceful' clan. So anybody who was in the MHO could easily set up their profile to show that they were in the 'sugar, spice and everything nice' MHO.

HOWEVER. I was suddenly awoken from my wonderful dream to hear that when they 'wrote' the MHO system, they neglected to make any real changes other than GM policies. As such, 'no GM interaction' would mean no MHO's or CHE's... So that dream was pretty well dashed.

Deathravin
08-18-2010, 05:10 PM
As for the coding, I'd help. It sounds like fun.

However, to do such a thing you'd need basically a database on a server somewhere that one could update easily. Register your character with it with a password (similarly to how LNet works now), and choose your faction. Even display your level tier.

A script would have to run that tallies kills with both ends of the conflict having to run the script to verify a kill (to prevent one side from sending wrong data).

Note - If you're going to do that, I'd like to piggyback on top of it a mob DB script that logs stats for mobs. AS, DS, TD, CS, Spells, etc, that we can then put onto Krakiipedia.

Michaelous
08-18-2010, 05:21 PM
ROFL!! YOU WANT PEACE? GO BACK TO PRIME!!

SpiffyJr
08-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Some people just can't read.

Makkah
08-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Some people buy characters :(

Donquix
08-18-2010, 05:35 PM

* Michaelous just bit the dust!

GsJersey
08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
First I want to say I do not play Shattered. Been there done that in other games.

There is a reason why some MUDs developed the PK flag. Mainly its so everyone who plays gets what they want from the game. The suggestions the OP puts forth are solid and have been done before in other games.

I played a no holds barred game and what ended up happening was people would script all week then get together at an appointed time (with GMs) to roleplay. It was pretty cool. Of course you had your odd skirmishes here and there but overall everyone enjoyed it. It is a viable system.

Pretty simple .. people could put what they are looking for in the player profile.. Simple enough. Say you are AFK hunting and dont want to be bothered can switch profile to say AFK leave me the fuck alone or can say PvP bitches lets get it on when you are at the comp.. There are plenty of options and can be versitile. Some might want to mash the shit out of each other only when they are at the computer and not be messed with when AFK and at work some might be good scripters and want to do it all the time... Just a thought

Deathravin
08-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Just wish a GM or two were assigned to Shattered. Mainly for updates (such as the 'uber wagon' or the 'dueling arena', or MHO systems, or a kill/death ladder). Maybe toss in a godzilla invasion here or there.

It just seems like they did this huge backlash on GM interaction. I mean the first few days it was GM-crazy, but now it's devoid of GMs. I just wish Simu could just find a happy medium. It doesn't have to be the all or nothing place you think it does.

It's not like they pay their GMs. You could simply appoint a couple people to be GMs for shattered. No skin off their hide if somebody that either didn't want to be or simu didn't want them to be a GM for prime or plat was just given the keys.

BriarFox
08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
You could simply appoint a couple people to be GMs for shattered. No skin off their hide if somebody that either didn't want to be or simu didn't want them to be a GM for prime or plat was just given the keys.

[The Royal Court of Queen Andraste]
You see a room full of adoring sycophants and a large, bloated woman on a golden throne bedecked in scarlet and purple damask. Moaning, crucified bodies line the walls, each adorned with a bright pink sign in the shape of a smiley face that denotes his or her sin.
Obvious Exits: None

God help us all.

However, I think this general idea is a good one. It would be possible to merge Liagala's and Shattered Dreamer's ideas and create a PvP town with this sort of setup.

Liagala
08-18-2010, 08:46 PM
It's not like they pay their GMs.
Interesting thought. What if a bunch of us were to get together and pitch in $10 each or something, and paypal it to a GM willing to build us stuff (in their spare time, with the strongest wording possible saying that it will NOT interfere with their regular GM duties, etc)? Would Simu go for that?

Nostradamus
08-18-2010, 08:49 PM
However, I think this general idea is a good one. It would be possible to merge Liagala's and Shattered Dreamer's ideas and create a PvP town with this sort of setup.[/QUOTE]

I think if you started something like this you guys should have something that allows people to turn it on and off. How can someone PvP when they are AFK effectively? Maybe they can annouce they are live on Lnet or something.

It is not fun coming home and you are killed while AFK.
While it may be fun to PvP when you are home and chose to do so.
Or IMHO you will just end up right were you were before. Spiteful and at eachother's throats.

Shattered Dreamer
08-18-2010, 08:54 PM
It is not fun coming home and you are killed while AFK.
While it may be fun to PvP when you are home and chose to do so.
Or IMHO you will just end up right were you were before. Spiteful and at eachother's throats.

I agree that it is not enjoyable. I do believe though that the thought of being killed at any moment does draw someone to the PC moreso than not having to worry about it.

I personally would be against a toggle setting. In my opinion, once you have chosen to be a Deadly, you would NOT be allowed to revert back to a Peaceful.

I also believe that a PvP town would be unsuccessful because it requires the participants to be in one place. With my setting, it would be a constantly active environment.

For this to really work, we need 3 active clans. We have the foundation for 2 clans already (Marlu and Vanguard). Without the ranking system though, it's essentially griefing right now. We could instead turn that griefing into a game that people can choose to participate in or not.

Espere
08-18-2010, 08:56 PM
EDIT: Somebody beat me to the punch. If no switch is allowed, I'd definitely just want to be peaceful.

I like the thought of the peaceful vs. deadly designation... but I think the further "clan" and "house" designations would really never work.

One other thought: I might enjoy pvp when I'm at the PC and being peaceful when I'm scripting. Would switching back and forth defeat the purpose of this entire exercise? If so, then I'd probably just remain peaceful full-time so that my scripting would go uninterrupted. If not, then I think it could be fun, and obviously, when I would be marked as "deadly", I'd only engage in combat with other people who had also designated themselves at "deadly".

Liagala
08-18-2010, 09:00 PM
One other thought: I might enjoy pvp when I'm at the PC and being peaceful when I'm scripting. Would switching back and forth defeat the purpose of this entire exercise? If so, then I'd probably just remain peaceful full-time so that my scripting would go uninterrupted. If not, then I think it could be fun, and obviously, when I would be marked as "deadly", I'd only engage in combat with other people who had also designated themselves at "deadly".

I think it would defeat a lot of the purpose of a full-scale war. Minor skirmishes with a couple friends is one thing, but in a big town-takeover type thing, or semi-permanant war between factions, a lot of things depend on level. If you can go bouncing over when you're at the keyboard and kill people, then quietly level while they're still battling or being afk-killed, you surpass them very quickly. That throws the whole thing off-kilter.

It's why most of Marlu is lying low right now and leveling as much as they can. I'm sure a fair number of them have no intention of continuing to behave - Oblivion/Shakira/Someone has admitted as much - but they were being outstripped in levels and needed time to catch up. We're going along with the truce because some of them really do plan to stop harassing innocents, and if that's their plan, we're not about to stand in the way.

Daragon
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't like the idea. Pretty much what I am getting from this, is you are forcing people to roleplay certain ways, either one way or the other. If you don't want PvP go to Prime. Another thing is you are pretty much talking about changing a game which you don't own (Simutronics does) through scripts...
Another thing is this treads on a dangerous path to kill roleplaying by giving players the either or option, rather then keeping it how it is. No suprise all the whiners are for this.

Nostradamus
08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
EDIT: Somebody beat me to the punch. If no switch is allowed, I'd definitely just want to be peaceful.

I like the thought of the peaceful vs. deadly designation... but I think the further "clan" and "house" designations would really never work.

Well if you could switch off while AFK would be a great option. As you can not effectively kill PvP when AFK when you are hunting AFK all a player has to do is wait for your script to walk into a room and POW your dead... Not really good for PvP
Or atleast say the hunting areas are off limits for PvP which would mean I can stalk you from town and kill you on the way ect. But not if your in your hunting area.
Edit: Also not being able to switch would stop people who are new to PvP or haven't even tried it ,that are interested in PvP not even trying it out to see if they like it.

Liagala
08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Well if you could switch off while AFK would be a great option. As you can not effectively kill PvP when AFK when you are hunting AFK all a player has to do is wait for your script to walk into a room and POW your dead... Not really good for PvP.

Ask Jaeden how House "can not effectively kill PvP while AFK". I'm pretty sure Jaeden hit the dirt at least 4 times in one morning, while House was at work.

Edit: For that matter, most of Marlu had scripts that would AFK kill people - either people on their KOS list, or just anyone non-Marlu. I got a few dead alts from random Cthulu bearhugs while he ran by, and had to slam once or twice when I tried to ambush a Marlu and their AFK script caught me badly.

BriarFox
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
I think people should be allowed to switch statuses, but not all the time. Two weeks in between switches, no more than one switch a month - something like that. The script could keep track and simply ban them from the rankings and such.

Nostradamus
08-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I think people should be allowed to switch statuses, but not all the time. Two weeks in between switches, no more than one switch a month - something like that. The script could keep track and simply ban them from the rankings and such.

That be perfect. I like both the PvP dont get me wrong. I LOVE to AFK script. Unfortunately my kids have a habit they like to eat 3 times a day and I am forced to work long hours.
It would suck to have to choose and lose out on a great part of the game because id have to be 'peaceful'...
Also you would not want to force everyone to play a certain way, It gives people new to PvP a chance to try it out also and see if they like it.

Daragon
08-18-2010, 09:17 PM

It should be kept the way it is. Everyone is open game in shattered and it should be kept that way.

Shattered Dreamer
08-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't like the idea. Pretty much what I am getting from this, is you are forcing people to roleplay certain ways, either one way or the other. If you don't want PvP go to Prime. Another thing is you are pretty much talking about changing a game which you don't own (Simutronics does) through scripts...
Another thing is this treads on a dangerous path to kill roleplaying by giving players the either or option, rather then keeping it how it is. No suprise all the whiners are for this.

I don't believe you read the idea, otherwise you would have realized that this is a completely optional system.

My goal was not to limit someone to Choice A or Choice B, but to instead offer information to other players of the instance that reflects your personal desires within the instance.

Some people are looking to script afk 24-7 and be left alone. This system would allow you the option to state, Hey I'm not looking for a fight. That certainly wouldn't stop someone from killing you, but if there was also a ranking system for people who want to kill and be killed, they would have less desire to kill you (a peaceful) over someone they would get a notch on the post for.

I don't understand the bit about roleplaying, or the whining bit.

Liagala
08-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't believe you read the idea, otherwise you would have realized that this is a completely optional system.
I'm pretty sure he read it, and doesn't care. He has the same mindset all of Marlu had before we spent some time either reasoning with them or beating on them. If he wants to put his ideas into practice, I'm sure plenty of us would be more than happy to give him the same treatment.

In unrelated news, are you Inspire?

Edit:
I like this.

Daragon
08-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure he read it, and doesn't care. He has the same mindset all of Marlu had before we spent some time either reasoning with them or beating on them. If he wants to put his ideas into practice, I'm sure plenty of us would be more than happy to give him the same treatment.

In unrelated news, are you Inspire?

Edit:
I like this.

Yep I read it. What it seems like to me tho is if that portion that just wants to script hunt afk is pretty much protect under this idea right? That means you are not just making a script you are also altering the game, which could technically be considered hacking.
As far as the Marlu mindset, if you mean actual roleplaying, then yes I have that mindset. And no I am not Inspire, and never had anything to do with Marlu except for gettin killed by them a few times.

Shattered Dreamer
08-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Yep I read it. What it seems like to me tho is if that portion that just wants to script hunt afk is pretty much protect under this idea right? That means you are not just making a script you are also altering the game, which could technically be considered hacking.
As far as the Marlu mindset, if you mean actual roleplaying, then yes I have that mindset. And no I am not Inspire, and never had anything to do with Marlu except for gettin killed by them a few times.

At first I believed in a default Peaceful setting, I wouldn't be against a default Deadly setting, due to this being an open instance.

In the end though, nobody can control what any other person does, and someone may mark themselves as a Peaceful and then go on a killing spree.

Whether you choose Peaceful or Deadly, you can roleplay anything and any way you want.

I saw this as a tool to give information to other players as to your personal desires. It should enhance the atmosphere, not control it.

Daragon
08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
At first I believed in a default Peaceful setting, I wouldn't be against a default Deadly setting, due to this being an open instance.

In the end though, nobody can control what any other person does, and someone may mark themselves as a Peaceful and then go on a killing spree.

Whether you choose Peaceful or Deadly, you can roleplay anything and any way you want.

I saw this as a tool to give information to other players as to your personal desires. It should enhance the atmosphere, not control it.

Ah ok got ya. Just sounded like something that would stop someone from killing people even if they were peaceful. Thanks for clarifying.

Nostradamus
08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
I agree that it is not enjoyable. I do believe though that the thought of being killed at any moment does draw someone to the PC moreso than not having to worry about it.

I personally would be against a toggle setting. In my opinion, once you have chosen to be a Deadly, you would NOT be allowed to revert back to a Peaceful.

I also believe that a PvP town would be unsuccessful because it requires the participants to be in one place. With my setting, it would be a constantly active environment.

For this to really work, we need 3 active clans. We have the foundation for 2 clans already (Marlu and Vanguard). Without the ranking system though, it's essentially griefing right now. We could instead turn that griefing into a game that people can choose to participate in or not.

Well if you think of it. If there was just the option of both when we first started, there never would have been a big shit fit of battle that happened when PvP was tried the first time.
Because the part that pissed people off the most was when they choose to AFK script they wanted to be AFK and left alone.
Wether a PvP'er or not EVERYONE needs to be AFK from time to time and should that time varies. That could be PvP 2 hours a day and 22 hour scripting.
That choice should be respected by everyone on the server IMO and not be limited whatsoever.
Or there never would of been a truce in the first place.
Not a big deal.
Tillmen could update Lnet and have an available Lnet title PVP just like Jamus did the Psinetter title for psinet. No big mystery and i am sure he could do it easy if not already able to do so.
Edit:. You can then just turn the PVP Lnet title on when you want and turn it off when your AFK everyone on Lnet would see the title. PVP and anyone with PVP showing its fair game.

Shattered Dreamer
08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
That choice should be respected by everyone on the server IMO and not be limited whatsoever.

While in theory this sounds wonderful, not everyone will choose to practice this.

Tillmen could update Lnet and have an available Lnet title PVP just like Jamus did the Psinetter title for psinet. No big mystery and i am sure he could do it easy if not already able to do so.
Edit:. You can then just turn the PVP Lnet title on when you want and turn it off when your AFK everyone on Lnet would see the title. PVP and anyone with PVP showing its fair game.

The drawback to a toggle switch is that it limits the opportunity for interaction and provides the ability to "manipulate" the system so a person could follow the rules and be immune from harm or consequences from their deadly actions.

The goal is to provide conflict in a way that does not interfere with those who choose to avoid it, while at the same time, creating a ranking system to reward that type of behavior for those who want to participate.

Nostradamus
08-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Well longs if you give me the AFK kill script wont really matter.
But we shall see, seems quite a few more want the PvP back as well.

Liagala
08-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Yep I read it. What it seems like to me tho is if that portion that just wants to script hunt afk is pretty much protect under this idea right?
Yep, that's right. People who don't want to PvP won't be forced to do so.

That means you are not just making a script you are also altering the game, which could technically be considered hacking.
How are we altering the game by scripting? People script all the time in Prime, and that's perfectly acceptable. Are you really saying that by not watching the screen, or by advancing faster (because we can let it run all night), we're "hacking" Gemstone? Really?

As far as the Marlu mindset, if you mean actual roleplaying, then yes I have that mindset.
No, I've seen very little roleplaying from Marlu. I meant the mindset where anyone and everyone is there to be killed regardless of what they want, and if they complain, they're pussies.

And no I am not Inspire, and never had anything to do with Marlu except for gettin killed by them a few times.
I wasn't asking if you're Inspire, I was asking Shattered Dreamer.

Shattered Dreamer
08-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Not to be rude, but if we could focus somewhat on the point of the thread.

This would require support from enough people to make this fun. The desire seems to be present, do we have anyone who would like to try this out and see how it goes?

I don't know if a poll could be added to this thread, but to get a tally should a poll be created for:

1: Yes (Peaceful)
2: Yes (Deadly)
3: Yes (Neutral)
4: No

radamanthys
08-18-2010, 11:36 PM
This is easily solved. End the truce. Marlu fights vanguard, vanguard fights marlu. If a non-aligned member kills someone in either group, the group has rights of retribution. Both groups can keep their own kill-boards.

Everyone has rights to kill douchebags and settle conflicts (poaching, etc). For this to work, Marlu would have to stop killing/extorting innocents. I don't think it'd be a big deal.

There's your PvP to anyone who wants it. Join a group, you're 'deadly'. Don't join, you're 'peaceful'.

If you think you need something to fight over... well, you didn't have anything before.

And whatever, it's temporary. The rules all change at end-game. We all know this.

Mathari
08-18-2010, 11:43 PM
DragonRealms has a built-in system that basically does what you all seem to be talking about. Players' in-game profiles have a "PvP Stance" setting that can be set to "Open," "Guarded," or "Closed." I don't know a lot about it, except that you can only change your stance every 48 hours, there's a delay if you change from "Open" to any other stance, and certain actions automatically change your stance to "Open" (I think).

I always wished that GS had something like this. Implementing it officially would probably be a huge pain, though. I have no idea how players could successfully enforce it in Shattered, particularly with no GM involvement and nothing actually built into the game itself, but good luck!

liquiddrool
08-19-2010, 01:01 AM
The thing to remember is Simu is throwing nothing at Shattered. I was quite happy to see the recent festival show up, but what they've said is that they won't do shit. Maybe seeing the popularity they will change their stance but it sounds like a lot of things will have to be done by players running scripts.

Portu-guese
08-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Example:

Also here: Necen (Leader, Clan Vanguard), Mordechai (Leader, Clan Marlu), Staypuff (Peaceful), Kaedra (Peaceful), Portu (Deadly).

I have to say that I agree with the server needing conflict for some people to enjoy playing. It is afterall part of the reason Shattered was created.

Just to make some clarifications. I am no longer a part of the Marlu Clan, so while I am flattered that my name made the example list up there, and while I will most likely be considered "Deadly" in that scenario, it will not be for the Clan Marlu side.

I don't really feel like I owe anyone an explanation for my reasons, but I would like to sincerely appologize to anyone that I made have caused grief to. I was caught up in the initial "wow-factor" of being able to kill anyone at any time, and took advantage of it. I've shifted my focus to helping anyone that is in need, especially anyone in the Guardians of Sunfist as it is my area of expertise.

If I can in any way be of any help to you feel free to find me in game, on here, or on the Sunfist chat channel of lnet.

Again, I appologize and happy scripting!

Daragon
08-19-2010, 03:03 PM
This is easily solved. End the truce. Marlu fights vanguard, vanguard fights marlu. If a non-aligned member kills someone in either group, the group has rights of retribution. Both groups can keep their own kill-boards.

Everyone has rights to kill douchebags and settle conflicts (poaching, etc). For this to work, Marlu would have to stop killing/extorting innocents. I don't think it'd be a big deal.

There's your PvP to anyone who wants it. Join a group, you're 'deadly'. Don't join, you're 'peaceful'.

If you think you need something to fight over... well, you didn't have anything before.

And whatever, it's temporary. The rules all change at end-game. We all know this.

There are going to be more factions. But anyhow, yeah if Marlu quit killing innocents those not yet allied with any faction maybe they could try to influence them or try to 'convert' them to the faith and help their cause...