PDA

View Full Version : So my sister-in-law needs a new set of lungs, a liver, and a pancreas.

peam
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
As the title of the thread says, my sister-in-law, who suffers from cystic fibrosis, is in need of a set of lungs, a liver, and a pancreas.

Duke has approved the procedure so we've started fund-raising for her.

Basically the fund-raising is an effort to provide a reserve of cash that will allow her and her husband to relocate to the Durham NC area - where Duke is located - and start building a stockpile to pay for the procedure once it is complete. As you all can imagine, the surgery is very expensive. The last figure I heard was in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Thankfully, the full amount isn't needed before Duke will do the operation.

So here is where I beg for you guys to help a brother, and a sister-in-law, out.

Kerry is one of the sweetest, most giving, and selfless individuals I have ever met and her husband Ben is a stand-up guy. She graduated from nursing school this past Spring and he left being an active duty member of the Marine Corps in December. I could go on a rant that is way too long about how great of a person she is and just how much she needs this operation, but I don't think it's necessary. She and her husband are good people.

This procedure is essentially a requirement for Kerry to live, and successful transplants give cystic fibrosis patients a brand new start.

If any of you guys are willing and capable financially, you can donate to her cause at:

http://www.transplants.org/donate/kerrybaumann

I and my family would really appreciate anything at all. If anyone has any questions, feel free to reply to this thread or send me a PM. I'll be more than happy to try to answer any questions.

thefarmer
08-13-2010, 10:21 PM
That's horrible news to find out. I'm sorry it's happening.

Tell them not to live in Durham if they can help it. Cary, Raleigh, Morrisville would be better, and the drive to Duke isn't much at all.

edit: Why'd they go with Duke?

peam
08-13-2010, 10:32 PM
That's horrible news to find out. I'm sorry it's happening.

Tell them not to live in Durham if they can help it. Cary, Raleigh, Morrisville would be better, and the drive to Duke isn't much at all.

edit: Why'd they go with Duke?

They just have to be within an hour and a half ride of Duke's facilities. I doubt she'll relocate specifically to Durham, but rather somewhere within the designated range.

I think Duke was chosen because of their reputation as a medical facility, the proximity to their hometown - Newport News VA, and the fact that a few other cystic fibrosis patients Kerry knows have had good experiences with Duke's transplant team.

Skeeter
08-13-2010, 11:24 PM
can't do a whole lot better than Duke. I wish her luck. Cystic Fibrosis is an awful disease.

peam
08-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Bump.

I'm not going to be too annoying with this. I'll probably keep it afloat for like a week or so. PROMISE.

AestheticLife
08-14-2010, 11:52 AM
All the best to her in her recovery.

Warriorbird
08-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Looking at some of the places north of Durham might be solid and inexpensive.

peam
08-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Le Bump

Asha
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Good luck to her. I'm broke or I'd help a little bit.

peam
08-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Well today we received some good news on a few fronts.

Her lung functionality.. the medical term for this is lost to me at the moment.. is above 30%. This is the best her lungs have been in months and likely means that she will get to come home from the hospital and spend time at home with family before moving to Duke.

Secondly, fund raising is going great. Between events at church, her online contributions, and projected future fundraisers it looks like she'll have enough funding to make the move.

At this point, I'm going to quit bumping this thread, since Kerry's outlook seems to be pretty alright. Thanks so much to all of you who sent good thoughts and/or donated. It really means a lot. My family and I send many, many thanks.

Kuyuk
08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Sucks :( Hope she does well and everything goes as well as it can....

On a sarcastic note - I'm sure if she posted her boobs in the topless thread, it'd spur great fundraising. Just sayin'.

Shattered Dreamer
08-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I wish you the best.

peam
08-22-2010, 11:44 AM
One more bump.

Their local paper wrote a pretty thorough article on Kerry in today's paper.

Available online at: http://www.dailypress.com/news/hampton/dp-nws-cystic-fibrosis-20100821,0,7012520.story?page=1

IorakeWarhammer
08-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Sucks :( Hope she does well and everything goes as well as it can....

On a sarcastic note - I'm sure if she posted her boobs in the topless thread, it'd spur great fundraising. Just sayin'.

really?

...really? cmon man.

peam
08-22-2010, 12:21 PM
really?

...really? cmon man.

Dude, it's the PC. It's cool.

Toss some rials or whatever you Iranian motherfuckers use her way.

IorakeWarhammer
08-22-2010, 03:50 PM
well im irish/german but yes i will do what i can

Asha
08-22-2010, 06:56 PM
well im irish/german but yes i will do what i can
Nice one mate.

Nieninque
08-22-2010, 07:39 PM
An Irish/German Muslim. Could he be any more hated?

Asha
08-22-2010, 07:43 PM
And the rest. yeah.