PDA

View Full Version : When your mouth wins a race with your brain.

Tisket
04-08-2004, 03:44 PM
dit da dit da dit da

Artha
04-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Yay. Tell you what, I'll follow you around and keep a tab on every time you misspeak a word or sentence. We'll see if I can't make a nice long list in a few years time.

Tisket
04-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Artha
Yay. Tell you what, I'll follow you around and keep a tab on every time you misspeak a word or sentence. We'll see if I can't make a nice long list in a few years time.

I often misspeak. Then again I am not president of a world power.

Artha
04-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, you also don't have hundreds of millions of people (many of whom would love to think themselves clever by catching you like...well...the list above) listening to your every word.

04-08-2004, 03:56 PM
YAY SHALL WE PLAY ANOTHER ROUND?

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop
weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom
line." - President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want
to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction
program." - President Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal
here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical
or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat
we face." - Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten time since
1983." - Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb 18,1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the US
Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air
and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat
posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." -
Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin (D-MI), Tom Daschle
(D-SD), John Kerry (D - MA), and others Oct. 9,1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass
destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has
made a mockery of the weapons inspection process." - Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA),
Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass
destruction and palaces for his cronies." > - Madeline Albright, Clinton
Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has invigorated his weapons programs.
Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace
and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to
redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile
program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States
and our allies." - Letter to President Bush, Signed by Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL,)
and others, December 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and threat to
the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandated of the United
Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering
them." - Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons
throughout his country." - Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter
and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power." -
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing
weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident
that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons,
and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and
biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is
seeking nuclear weapons..." - Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to
use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a
deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave
threat to our security." - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9,2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to
develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next
five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the
progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."- Sen.
Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every
significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his
chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused
to do" - Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that
Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock,
his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid,
comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members.. It is clear,
however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his
capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to
develop nuclear weapons." - Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam
Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the
production and storage of weapons of mass destruction." - Sen. Bob Graham (D,
FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous
dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous
threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is
miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent
grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with
weapons of mass destruction is real" - Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23.

Atlanteax
04-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Tisket

I often misspeak. Then again I am not president of a world power.

I'm with Tisket in that regard.

I like Bush as a president, but I am bothered by the frequent lapse he has in verbal communication.

Myself, I have a tendency to stumble over words when I'm trying to say them, especially if it gets long-winded, don't think it's really a stuttering problem, but it does frustrate me from time to time.

So, despite my own difficulty at times, I would normally expect the President to be rather articulate.

Fengus
04-08-2004, 03:58 PM

It couldn't possibly be as long or as filled with dumbness as the above list. I mean comeon, "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?"!

Tendarian
04-08-2004, 03:59 PM
I would rather the president be a strong leader rather than a great public speaker myself. Of course that is a whole different debate.

Artha
04-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Want to bet, Fengus? I don't think the average person realises how often they'll say the wrong word, and the average person doesn't experience anywhere near the amount of pressure the president does when they're speaking.

DeV
04-08-2004, 04:04 PM
I prefer having a strong leader for President who is both articulate and able to lead well.

Bush obviously know's how to get by. Thats good enough in politics.

Ravenstorm
04-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Ummm, Edine? Two words: reading comprehension. This isn't a trhead about WMD but about quotes that make no sense.

Raven

ThisOtherKingdom
04-08-2004, 04:09 PM
I may be liberal, but I have a hard time believing all of those are direct quotes of the President. Sure, he's said some things that makes me think he has the mental capacity of Forrest Gump, but how hard is it to make up a silly quote and put George W. Bush's name on it?

Tisket
04-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by ThisOtherKingdom
I may be liberal, but I have a hard time believing all of those are direct quotes of the President. Sure, he's said some things that makes me think he has the mental capacity of Forrest Gump, but how hard is it to make up a silly quote and put George W. Bush's name on it?

All actual quotes. Google any of them.

Latrinsorm
04-08-2004, 04:18 PM
All actual quotes. Google any of them. Credibility -> 0.

I actually had to read some of those quotes two or three times to figure out what was wrong, firstly, and secondly why I should care. I've yet to get the second answer.

Tisket
04-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Edine, this is a thread meant to mock GW. I fear if you post here people will start mocking you instead. It seems to happen with great frequency :P

Artha
04-08-2004, 04:22 PM

If I google them and the first thing that comes up is a 'DubyaSpeak' site or a list of 'Bushisms,' that doesn't really prove that they're real.

Tisket
04-08-2004, 04:48 PM

If I google them and the first thing that comes up is a 'DubyaSpeak' site or a list of 'Bushisms,' that doesn't really prove that they're real.

Googling them will give you dozens and dozens of sites. If you choose to look only at those two instances more power to you.

Ambrosia
04-08-2004, 04:49 PM
So, you proved that he isn't great at giving a flawless speech and that he is human and makes mistakes..... anything else? Most people that give a flawless speech under pressure are most likely reading it off a sheet that someone else wrote or proof read.

If you were under the amount of pressure he is on a daily basis, I doubt everything that came out of your mouth would be completely coherent as well.

Wezas
04-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
Ummm, Edine? Two words: reading comprehension. This isn't a trhead about WMD but about quotes that make no sense.

Raven

Damn, beat to the punch again.

Artha
04-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Googling them will give you dozens and dozens of sites. If you choose to look only at those two instances more power to you.

I checked this one:

"We've had a great weekend here in the Land of the Enchanted. "

Four pages of results, every single one was a list of Bushisms. I'd imagine it's much the same for almost all of the rest.

04-08-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm

Raven

Yes I know, he quotes bush on things, I quote D's on things, just mine hold more substance because of the fact that everyone of the people who said it has completly turned around and changed their story.
Same way things you say in the past can come and bite you in the ass

Tisket
04-08-2004, 04:57 PM

I checked this one:

"We've had a great weekend here in the Land of the Enchanted. "

Four pages of results, every single one was a list of Bushisms. I'd imagine it's much the same for almost all of the rest.

And your point is that he didnt say these things?

Hulkein
04-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Most of those quotes are from 2000, when he was campaigning without written speeches. He messed up some verb usages or sayings which everyone does, while on little sleep driving around the country speaking without a script to thousands of people. OH MY GOD HE R TEH STOOPID

Tisket
04-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
Most of those quotes are from 2000, when he was campaigning without written speeches. He messed up some verb usages or sayings which everyone does, while on little sleep driving around the country speaking without a script to thousands of people. OH MY GOD HE R TEH STOOPID

Check the dates at the bottom of each quote.

Artha
04-08-2004, 05:06 PM
And your point is that he didnt say these things?

No. My point is that it would be easy to slip a few in that he didn't say.

[Edited on 4-8-2004 by Artha]

Hulkein
04-08-2004, 05:06 PM
The great thing about America is everybody should vote.
- George W. Bush

As far as the legal hassling and wrangling and posturing in Florida, I would suggest you talk to our team in Florida led by Jim Baker.
- George W. Bush

The legislature's job is to write law. It's the executive branch's job to interpret law.
- George W. Bush, Nov. 2000

They misunderestimated me.
- George W. Bush, Nov. 2000
One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
- George W. Bush

They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program.
- George W. Bush

If affirmative action means what I just described, what I'm for, then I'm for it.
- George W. Bush, during the third presidential debate

The idea of putting subliminal messages into ads is ridiculous.
- George W. Bush

One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected. -George W. Bush

I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family.
- George W. Bush

We ought to make the pie higher.
- George W. Bush

Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness.
- George W. Bush, in a CNN online chat, Aug. 2000

We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile.''
- George W. Bush

The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case.
- George W. Bush

It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.
- George W. Bush

Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?
- George W. Bush

Actually, I - this may sound a little West Texas to you, but I like it. When I'm talking about - when I'm talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself, all of us are talking about me.
- George W. Bush

----

They're all from election time, the rest are over a three year span. Most are from election time, as I said.

[Edited on 4-8-2004 by Hulkein]

Latrinsorm
04-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein, but said by W
It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it. As an aside, I think that's more a truism than a Bushism. :yes:

Tisket
04-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Talk about selective reading. I have found that Bush supporters often lack a sense of humor so I am not surprised.

TheEschaton
04-08-2004, 05:10 PM
But, Edine, the point of the matter is, all the quotes you showed, were at least well articulated.

And it's no excuse, if it's on a campaign stop or not. John Kerry had to say a word three times before he got it right, today in a town hall meeting in Wisconsin, but he doesn't make basic errors in syntax and comprehensibility.

-TheE-

Hulkein
04-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Doesn't really matter, I agree he isn't the best at speaking and it isn't all because he was tired or whatever, but I just think it's petty if ya think he's a bad president over some misused verbs or words. Yeah, it's funny, I like reading them, but I also know what to take at face value and what not to read into.

Tendarian
04-08-2004, 05:12 PM
One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
- George W. Bush

:thumbsup: That one is funny as all hell. Definately my favorite of the bunch.

Tisket
04-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
Doesn't really matter, I agree he isn't the best at speaking and it isn't all because he was tired or whatever, but I just think it's petty if ya think he's a bad president over some misused verbs or words. Yeah, it's funny, I like reading them, but I also know what to take at face value and what not to read into.

It was intended as humor. Glad to hear you can laugh at Bush along with most of the rest of civilization.

Artha
04-08-2004, 05:14 PM
I have found that Bush supporters often lack a sense of humor so I am not surprised.

I've found that liberals often lack the ability to tell a decent joke.

It might've been funny, had it not been these. Everyone's seen them at least 10 times.

Ravenstorm
04-08-2004, 05:22 PM
I liked the one about Saddam terrorizing himself. I hear that makes you go blind.

Raven

HarmNone
04-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Okay. Those had me rolling on the floor! I do not give a hoot who said them, they were absolutely hilarious! :lol:

HarmNone is still cackling

Edaarin
04-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah, like you didn't laugh at any of Jay Leno's Clinton monologues, I know I did...

Comparing Bush and Clinton as public speakers is an exercise in futility. Clinton is quite possibly one of the best Presidents when it comes to speech giving.

Tendarian
04-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Yeah, like you didn't laugh at any of Jay Leno's Clinton monologues, I know I did...

Comparing Bush and Clinton as public speakers is an exercise in futility. Clinton is quite possibly one of the best Presidents when it comes to speech giving.

I agree Clinton was a great public speaker. To show how easy it is to say stupid things though i submit this website.

http://www.gargaro.com/clintonquotes.html

Heres a couple quotes from it case you dont feel like clicking it.

Clinton: "I can spend your money better than you can."

"You can't say you love your country and hate your government." - Bill Clinton, 1995

"You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a chance to have their fair say."
President William Clinton

"When I was a younger man and had a life," stated Clinton, "I owned an El Camino pickup in the '70s. It was a real sort of Southern deal. I had Astroturf in the back. You don't want to know why, but I did."

"Thanks for the poncho."
President Clinton said this when he was presented with the Romanian tri-color flag during his visit in July.

"I am the only President in who knew something about agriculture when I got there." (Bill Clinton, Washington Post, 4/26/95)

"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles"

"It has not worked. No one can say it has worked, so I decided we're either going to do what we said we're going to do with the U.N., or we're going to do something else."

It just goes to show how easy it is to say stupid things if one of the greatest public speakers makes mistakes like these too. Admittedly Bush's are worse,but no one claims he is good at it.

Atlanteax
04-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Talk about selective reading. I have found that Bush supporters often lack a sense of humor so I am not surprised.

I found it funny! :D

Satira
04-08-2004, 09:00 PM
My favorite was...

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

I don't care if they're real or not, I just found it all amusing.