PDA

View Full Version : PCBC: American Gods

Latrinsorm
08-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I thought it was really well done. There was a strong "teenager who finds out he won't get spanked for cursing or making crude remarks about sex" vibe in the first third, but that relented as the book went on. I totally did not see Loki coming, but I totally saw Shadow's divinity coming. The characters were interesting, good pacing, just really well done.

A-

Next book selection will be soon.

ElvenFury
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Is that the book where the Earth Goddess pretends to be a hooker, and sucks some poor bastard completely (head to toe) into her vagina in a motel room?

Latrinsorm
08-04-2010, 03:43 PM
a) He wanted it, and b) she gets repeatedly run over by a limo once the author gets tired of the "HEY GUYS I CAN SAY VULVA! HEY GUYS I CAN SAY CUNT!" shtick, if that makes you feel better. I think she's a sex goddess though, not an earth goddess.

ElvenFury
08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
OK. Yeah, I read that a few years ago. I remember liking the premise, but being annoyed with the author's style. It's been too long to be any more specific than that.

Drisco
08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
I got to page 140 and didn't enjoy and just stopped. The beginning was just to slow for me and I didn't really find Shadow to be interesting. Maybe it got better but I doubt it.

ElvenFury
08-04-2010, 03:50 PM
I did like the crazy Romanian (or whatever it was) guy who constantly wanted to bash the protagonists skull in for no apparent reason.

Drisco
08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Can we please read a douglas coupland book. Although I already have read EPhod I'd do it again.

Tordane
08-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Recommend adding Richard K. Morgan to the list as well.

Recommended Book: Altered Carbon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon)

Warriorbird
08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
I did like the crazy Romanian (or whatever it was) guy who constantly wanted to bash the protagonists skull in for no apparent reason.

Chernoborg or whoever totally makes the end awesome.

Warriorbird
08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I thought this book was well written and artful, but I think Gaiman threw in a few too many of his divorce issues (with the sex stuff et al). This is not to say that the famous father and son and brother who this story is about are ever a particularly uplifting story in whatever form. It is a very clever telling of their tale though.

I ultimately prefer Anansi Boys because it's just a happier story, though I think this work was a progression for Gaiman.

Latrinsorm
08-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I got to page 140 and didn't enjoy and just stopped. The beginning was just to slow for me and I didn't really find Shadow to be interesting. Maybe it got better but I doubt it.He gets a lot more interesting, and the book gets significantly better.

As for our next book, the random number generator has spoken. I'm waiting to hear back from someone and will have a selection ready by tomorrow evening.

Also I had forgotten that today was Wednesday. Whoops! The next post will be made on the appropriate day, Thursday August 19th.

Gan
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
I had to take a pass on this round. Too much on my plate with masons, little league board of directors, work and a sick kiddo.

Vacation next week. Might pick it up then or start on the next read once its selected.

-10 points for Gan.

Latrinsorm
08-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Our next book will be Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker. It has a girl with blue hair and a sword on the cover.

4a6c1
08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Ok. I'm definately going to be doing this one. Got time and stuff. Whoo!

Gan
08-06-2010, 07:45 AM
http://biobreak.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/warbreaker.jpg

Drisco
08-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Call it the homo in me but I do enjoy a good women empowering book. I'll read this one for sure.