PDA

View Full Version : Moving with 4 dogs.

Kyra231
07-22-2010, 11:07 PM
We're moving from nc to tx in a few weeks and unfortunately have only a Toyota tundra to haul a car seat with a pissed of 1 y/o in it, a teenager, 4 dogs and a cat. I was thinking of renting an suv or minivan for the trip, one way costs suck ass but the alternative idea my husband likes is using a tether type deal in the back for the 2 big dogs.

Anyone tried these things? They look dangerous as all get out to me(dog falling out over the edge, etc..).

Anyone else know of other safe ways to get them there? Keeping in mind one weighs 140 lbs and the other is a shep mix. The other two are rat sized so they can go up front np.

Amber
07-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Have you considered buying a couple of crates for them? If you do decide to tether them, there's a cross-tether they sell at pet stores that you may want to look at. http://www.kurgo.com/products/k9tt.html

Texans are notorious for transporting unsecured dogs in the back of trucks, which is really sad. I found a golden retriever who fell out of a truck a few months ago. Poor thing had 8 teeth broken off. I never found his owners but the golden retriever rescue group in Houston took him in, paid over 5k to fix his teeth, and found him a new home.

4a6c1
07-23-2010, 12:22 AM
4 dogs.....I would rent an elongated horse trailer. I'm only sorta kidding. Tethers are dangerous unless your animals are used to them and definately not a good idea for interstate travel on busy highways. Especially in Houston the 18-wheelers will throw off all kinds of crap that could kill a dog.

I have never shipped a dog without a crate. Its practical and efficient, especially if you get some meds from the doc first. Each crate should be only big enough for that dog to turn around in, that way they dont make a mess inside. And I suggest stopping every 4 hours or so. Get tarps and cords to hold them down as well. Texas is notorious for sudden thunderstorms...although in this heat I dont think your dogs will mind it.

Texas laws are strict about animal safety in the back of pickup trucks although as Amber mentioned they are usually only enforced within city limits. Still, on the highways a state trooper will definately bust you for anything anywhere. Crates crates crates!

Delias
07-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Sedate them.

Archigeek
07-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Get a topper for your Tundra, AND crates? A long trip like that at highway speed probably isn't going to be good for your dogs in an open truck bed, even in crates. Plus, your pickup is going to be jammed chock full of crap right? Are you moving ALL of your stuff with the truck or is most of it coming in a moving van?

Kyra231
07-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Get a topper for your Tundra, AND crates? A long trip like that at highway speed probably isn't going to be good for your dogs in an open truck bed, even in crates. Plus, your pickup is going to be jammed chock full of crap right? Are you moving ALL of your stuff with the truck or is most of it coming in a moving van?

No we're only taking some clothes & other essentials in the truck(important papers, etc). Movers are taking care of the rest for us.

I have crates for the 2 smaller dogs, the mastiff I don't have one for though. I thought of a topper for it, although they're almost as much as a rental for the trip..which brought me back to my original thought that an suv or minivan would be more comfy for all of us because of all the moving around even in a crate would probably give Rowan(the shep) a heart attack while sedated.

Thanks for the input on the tether thing. I don't feel it would be safe & I'm just trying to explore alternatives. Especially considering the Shepard mix will be sedated, hooking her to a rope in the back of a truck where the surfaces are slippery didn't seem good to me.

peam
07-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Sell them to a Korean restaurant for gas money.

Beguiler
07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Kyra, anotherthing to keep in mind is we're in summer. What has been said about tethers and dogs in an open truck bed on the highway are spot on, but also the heat inside a topper or beating down on them, rain, etc. Just isn't a great idea. My mom raised show dogs in Arizona, and she basically had a big conversion van with a gate between the far back with the crates and the passengers. I don't think there is going to be any cheap way to do this. While it sounded a bit offhand, talking to your vet about a mild sedative for at least the big dogs is a good idea.

Probably don't have to say this, but remember PLENTY of fresh water, and pit stops. Most interstate rest stops have pet areas.

good luck! srsly..

peam
07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
How the fuck are we going to get this dog home?

http://titirangistoryteller.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/best-2-levy-ohara21.jpg

Clove
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Kyra, anotherthing to keep in mind is we're in summer. What has been said about tethers and dogs in an open truck bed on the highway are spot on, but also the heat inside a topper or beating down on them, rain, etc. Just isn't a great idea. My mom raised show dogs in Arizona, and she basically had a big conversion van with a gate between the far back with the crates and the passengers. I don't think there is going to be any cheap way to do this. While it sounded a bit offhand, talking to your vet about a mild sedative for at least the big dogs is a good idea.

Probably don't have to say this, but remember PLENTY of fresh water, and pit stops. Most interstate rest stops have pet areas.

good luck! srsly..This. Unfortunately there's probably not a cheap way to safely transport your animals that distance; on the up-side you probably won't be doing this very often. A mild sedative is a good idea no matter how you go. A rental is probably the safest route, but if you're driving the Tundra already, do you really need a big SUV? You might be just fine with a mid-size (which could save some expense).

Celephais
07-23-2010, 10:23 AM
My mom raised show dogs in Arizona, and she basically had a big conversion van with a gate between the far back with the crates and the passengers.

http://peoplethings.com/andblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pipandco_dumbcar_090527_01.jpg

Kyra231
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM
This. Unfortunately there's probably not a cheap way to safely transport your animals that distance; on the up-side you probably won't be doing this very often. A mild sedative is a good idea no matter how you go. A rental is probably the safest route, but if you're driving the Tundra already, do you really need a big SUV? You might be just fine with a mid-size (which could save some expense).

Yea def a bonus that we wont be doing this again(he retires shortly after we get to hood).

I wasn't looking so much for cheap, just the easiest/safest route to keeping my sanity & not pulling over, putting them all out on the side of the road and then driving away cackling and drooling :D. We are driving overnight to minimize toddler and teenager boredom& screeching.

Err the tundra we have is like a cab and a half mid sized truck. The back seats are pretty much only good for short trips across town or stacking bodies in it. :(. No way to fit 3 adults, a car seat, 4 dogs and a cat in it. Not alive anyway.

Eta: I was thinking minivan as a lot of them you can take the back row out, more room for the mastiff to lounge. He's six this year, getting old and cranky with the rat pups.

Caiylania
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
This is why we got a station wagon hehe. Car gas cost and plenty of room for the mutts. <3 my Passat.

If you get a shell and your truck has a rear window then if you leave that window open they get ac as well. A shell may cost as much as a rental, but you get to keep the shell- you have to give the rental back.

Do not do this without crates, trust me. I have 4 dogs as well and it makes travel in a truck much safer and easier.

Pretty good tips from posters over all and I hope your whole family has a safe trip. We will be doing the reverse in a few months (OK to WA) and will have this to look forward to.

Safe journeys!

Clove
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Err the tundra we have is like a cab and a half mid sized truck. The back seats are pretty much only good for short trips across town or stacking bodies in it. :(. No way to fit 3 adults, a car seat, 4 dogs and a cat in it. Not alive anyway.I understand, but if you're taking the Tundra anyway you could split bodies between it and the rental. Perhaps an adult, a child and a small dog and cat in the Tundra and an adult, a child and two dogs in the rental. In that scenario I don't think you'd need to rent a huge SUV. A nice mid-size or full size sedan ought to work out fine.

Beguiler
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
http://peoplethings.com/andblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pipandco_dumbcar_090527_01.jpg

Mom's van!!! Where did you see it? :socool:

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I agree with Beguiler about not putting them in the back. It's far too hot and the trip is going to be too long for them to be comfortable or happy. With the amount of dogs you're transporting I think you're a little boned on the cost issue.

I like the idea of renting another vehicle to take with you, and like Clove said you can split everyone up between the two cars so you won't have to rent something so huge but will still be able to get everyone to your destination safely and as comfortable as possible.

I'm really hardpressed to drug my animals unless they're super neurotic about traveling.. some sedatives on hand could be a good idea but my personal inclination would be to take the dogs on some short trips in the crates just to see how they react. If they curl up and go to sleep without any assistance from drugs then I'd not want to administer them anything during the long trip.

Clove
07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm really hardpressed to drug my animals unless they're super neurotic about traveling.. some sedatives on hand could be a good idea but my personal inclination would be to take the dogs on some short trips in the crates just to see how they react. If they curl up and go to sleep without any assistance from drugs then I'd not want to administer them anything during the long trip.Buzzkiller!

Beguiler
07-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I understand and applaud Nikki's reluctance to drug animals unnecessarily. That's why I recommended a discussion with their vet. As said, perhaps just having a mild sedative along 'just in case' will suffice. They'll want to do whatever is best for the dogs.

I swear, I refuse to move. We havethree dogs and four cats... nuh uh..

Clove
07-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I understand and applaud Nikki's reluctance to drug animals unnecessarily. That's why I recommended a discussion with their vet. As said, perhaps just having a mild sedative along 'just in case' will suffice. They'll want to do whatever is best for the dogs.

I swear, I refuse to move. We havethree dogs and four cats... nuh uh..Buzzkiller!

Kyra231
07-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I agree with Beguiler about not putting them in the back. It's far too hot and the trip is going to be too long for them to be comfortable or happy. With the amount of dogs you're transporting I think you're a little boned on the cost issue.

I like the idea of renting another vehicle to take with you, and like Clove said you can split everyone up between the two cars so you won't have to rent something so huge but will still be able to get everyone to your destination safely and as comfortable as possible.

I'm really hardpressed to drug my animals unless they're super neurotic about traveling.. some sedatives on hand could be a good idea but my personal inclination would be to take the dogs on some short trips in the crates just to see how they react. If they curl up and go to sleep without any assistance from drugs then I'd not want to administer them anything during the long trip.

Well I have a sedative for my shepard mix, she was from a shelter where she lived for over a year with another dog in a run. I'm not sure what her background is but she's sweet, quiet & extremely timid. A car ride to the vets made her shiver & foam at the mouth so I plan on having to sedate her for the long ride.

Everyone else is great on car rides. Well except the cat but fuck her she's going in a carrier. Now if I could sedate my son...sigh.

Celephais
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Now if I could sedate my son...sigh.

Just ask the vet for a 2nd sedative for the dog incase it wears off .. problem solved.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Well I have a sedative for my shepard mix, she was from a shelter where she lived for over a year with another dog in a run. I'm not sure what her background is but she's sweet, quiet & extremely timid. A car ride to the vets made her shiver & foam at the mouth so I plan on having to sedate her for the long ride.

Everyone else is great on car rides. Well except the cat but fuck her she's going in a carrier. Now if I could sedate my son...sigh.

Tell your son he better be good or else consequences will never be the same.

Amber
07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
A car ride to the vets made her shiver & foam at the mouth so I plan on having to sedate her for the long ride.

My dog used to be terrified of car rides too. She'd be a quivering ball of fear and had to literally be lifted into the car, fighting the whole way. We wound up taking her on lots of short car rides, with my roomie driving and me sitting with her petting her. Now, she can't wait to go for car rides. Maybe if you started her out slowly she'd realize the car isn't such a terrible thing. Since she is so scared of car rides, I would definitely not put her in the back of a truck, crate or not. If you can swing it, having her in the car with someone close enough to oet and reassure her from time to time would probably be a huge comfort for her. If you decide not to go with crates, I'd advise you to get a seat belt harness for her. I got one for Caolie after she tried to jump in my lap while I was bringing her home from the vet when she was still scared of car rides.

Sylvan Dreams
07-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Don't tether them, there's way too many things that could go wrong. Rent a larger vehicle and a tow dolly. Use the larger vehicle to tow your car.

For the cat.. the pet shop sells "Comfort Spray with Feliway" that you can spray on a towel and place in the carrier. It's got feline pheromones and helps with stress. When I last did a big move, I used this for my cats and they only whined for the first 10 minutes of the trip, then sat quietly for the next 10 hours. It's expensive, but so worth it. Definitely get a seat harness for the larger dogs and consider a car seat for the smaller ones instead of a harness. If you get into an accident, those poor animals will be flying all over the car.

I use this seat for my purse dog. It keeps her safely secured and lifts her up so she can look out the window: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753864

I'm pretty sure they have the spray for dogs too and you could give them a towel or blankie with it sprayed on. Just be sure you don't mix the two up!

Amber
07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure they have the spray for dogs too and you could give them a towel or blankie with it sprayed on. Just be sure you don't mix the two up!

Good idea! I found this aromatherapy disk at the pet store that clips onto collars that I used for Caolie for awhile. Hers was petitgrain and lavender and really helped with her anxiety. The vet had put her on selegiline, which did help calm her down, but left her a bit loopy so it was nice to find something that worked without the negative side effects.

AnticorRifling
07-23-2010, 08:31 PM
This thread is further proof to the pwn that is weiner dogs.

Sylvan Dreams
07-23-2010, 09:30 PM
This thread is further proof to the pwn that is weiner dogs.

Weiner dogs rule!

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/sylvanblade/photo-1.jpg