PDA

View Full Version : Dueling Club

Deathravin
07-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Okay... So I was thinkin about it, and I would like to set up a dueling club. Nothing too 'official' or anything, but we'd keep records of the fights and post them on krakii or somewhere.

I wouldn't mind seeing some decent duels that are fair, or some silly games like that dagger flare game would be fun.

These AFK ambush logs being put up by the Marlu & Vanguard clans are all well and good, but to be honest they all seem one-sided. I realize the common perception of GS fights is generally 'whoever gets a shot off first' either way, but I seem to remember there being a bit more skill than that. Maybe I'm wrong.

And hey, we can get some clerics and empaths fried for a bit.

So would anybody be interested in a club like this?
What are some 'rules' you'd like to see in place?
Any idea for some locations - obviously we'd want to avoid the law (or maybe not, get to throw tomatoes at the winners LOL)
Any thoughts on a location we could store the win/loss statistics and logs of each fight?

I'd really like your input... Thanks for indulging me.

<begin 'you do not talk about duel club' responses>

Fortybox
07-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Okay... So I was thinkin about it, and I would like to set up a dueling club. Nothing too 'official' or anything, but we'd keep records of the fights and post them on krakii or somewhere.

I wouldn't mind seeing some decent duels that are fair, or some silly games like that dagger flare game would be fun.

These AFK ambush logs being put up by the Marlu & Vanguard clans are all well and good, but to be honest they all seem one-sided. I realize the common perception of GS fights is generally 'whoever gets a shot off first' either way, but I seem to remember there being a bit more skill than that. Maybe I'm wrong.

And hey, we can get some clerics and empaths fried for a bit.

So would anybody be interested in a club like this?
What are some 'rules' you'd like to see in place?
Any idea for some locations - obviously we'd want to avoid the law (or maybe not, get to throw tomatoes at the winners LOL)
Any thoughts on a location we could store the win/loss statistics and logs of each fight?

I'd really like your input... Thanks for indulging me.

<begin 'you do not talk about duel club' responses>

The person with the first shot usually will end up winning. Sounds like fun but GS is what it is...a game not made specifically for PvP.

peam
07-22-2010, 07:37 PM
http://cosmicduckling.com/ravenclaw/duel.jpg

Thug Life
07-22-2010, 07:42 PM
.... We'll call it FIGHT CLUB?!

Inspire
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
If this were to take place it should happen in a designated area of 5-6 rooms. (Part of dueling should be your ability to keep yourself alive instead of just standing there for first hit.)

There should be specific rules.
-- You are not allowed to leave the arena.
-- You may/may not use AoE spells.
-- You may/may not hide/use invis.

Enitocin
07-22-2010, 07:55 PM
The person with the first shot usually will end up winning. Sounds like fun but GS is what it is...a game not made specifically for PvP.

This. All it takes is the first stun(Or first ambush if a rogue) and the duels over. It's a good idea though.

Enitocin
07-22-2010, 07:56 PM
If this were to take place it should happen in a designated area of 5-6 rooms. (Part of dueling should be your ability to keep yourself alive instead of just standing there for first hit.)

If hiding isn't allowed then it pretty much knocks rogues out of the competition.

Inspire
07-22-2010, 08:16 PM
That was just an example.

violent femme
07-22-2010, 09:08 PM
you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Deathravin
07-22-2010, 10:03 PM
This would probably work if you had teams of 2 or 3 instead of individuals.

Oh now THAT's a good idea. Teams would add a whole new element to the strategy.

I really like the teams aspect.

I also like the idea of it being in several rooms. We could set up several familiars so we can watch the action and parse it together for decent logs.

Moving the place around might be interesting too. It'd have to be out of the way, but not in the town jurisdiction. Like Illistim's moonstone abbey (or at least the 6 rooms around it).

Great ideas guys, keep em comin!

I was thinking of some prizes we could do too.

zhelas
07-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I also like the idea of it being in several rooms. We could set up several familiars so we can watch the action and parse it together for decent logs.

Kobold Village outside of the Landing. You have Huts and multiple rooms. And of course entertaining Kobolds.

Inspire
07-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Oooo perfect. And only two exits.

How about an abandoned MHO?

They're open to everyone.

There is the Plurs Pub place in the landing, or the black wolves.

Fortybox
07-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Professions should be able to use what is available to them.

Deathravin
07-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Professions should be able to use what is available to them.

100% agreed.

Gnomon
07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Some sort of rules about gear might be needed.

e.g. Can I use my rubber duck (its a 10x fantastically crit-weighted mace with enhancive knowledge of haste that a friendly GM made for me)? What if my opponent disarms me and grabs it? Do they get to keep it after the duel?

Deathravin
07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Some sort of rules about gear might be needed.

e.g. Can I use my rubber duck (its a 10x fantastically crit-weighted mace with enhancive knowledge of haste that a friendly GM made for me)? What if my opponent disarms me and grabs it? Do they get to keep it after the duel?

Yes - you don't want something being stolen, don't use it.

This IS still shattered.

Fallen
07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Warriors make for the best duelists in terms of entertainment. Give them plate and let them whack at each other. Flaring weapons make it exciting, but no feras. Otherwise, yeah, it is pretty boring.

calidus
07-23-2010, 12:18 PM

I completely agree with the first part. It should be a multi-room arena with boundaries. I'm also a fan of doing some team duels, 2v2, 3v3, etc.

As for the other stuff, not so much. AoE spells are a pain, but they shouldn't be banned. Invisibility I could see banning, or people would just stay invis the entire time and wait. Perhaps disallow the use of imbed and magic items, therefor only Wizards can use invisibly since it's a class feature.

Banning stealth is completely retarded, as you would be disallowing rogues from their primary form of attack (most Rangers, too, but at least they have some spells like spike thorn). That'd be like saying your Empath can't use CS attacks.

IorakeWarhammer
07-23-2010, 12:21 PM
agree